Thread
Printable Version

MINE SWEEPING

MINE SWEEPING

Can someone please help me understand how to play Mine sweeping. I don't understand how the numbers on top and on the side help me find out where there are no mines. Thanks
Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear.

Reply 1#1 penny3760's post

Hi Penny, just had a quick look there. As far as I can make out; The vertical numbers tell you how many bomb free boxes that are there top to bottom - The horizontal numbers tell you how many bombs free boxes are there side to side.

So, you'd choose the horizontal box that had say 5 and the vertical box that had 4 for better chances. When the number gets less, that's when it gets harder.

If it was say, 4 2 1, this actually means there are 7 free spaces, but bombs in between !!

I believe that's how it works, but others who have played it more might have a better explanation.

Good luck !

[ Last edited by shinny at 12-13-2008 13:21 ]

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

It's based on a japenese puzzle called hanjie. It's kind of hard to explain in a post, it's easier if you can see the board.

Basically, if it says 4  5 on the left then along that row there is a group of 4 empty spaces in a row (although not necessarily starting on the first square) then 1 or more bombs, then a group of 5 empty spaces in a row.

This is the part thats hard to understand without seeing it: To work out which ones have to be empty I would count 4 from the beginning of a row then count one as a bomb and then count 5. I would then go from the opposite side, count 5 then a space, then 4. Any that worked out as empty spaces from BOTH ends have to be empty spaces. Sorry, that sounds very confusing - I usually explain this to people with a book of them in front of us so I can show them what I mean!
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

Thanks for explaining, shinny and mel! I didn't get it at all before. I'll give it a try

Thanks!  I am going to give it a try. It was driving me crazy before.
Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear.

No problem Serena, Penny.

Penny, you'll probably go and beat us all now, lol !!

This is one of my all time favourites.

However, I do think the ending could be a little bit more encouraging.

When you manage to identify all squares, without hitting the mines. You should get a NICE CLEAN message or the like (as "in a row") rather than be thrown out in the dark black nothing....

think pink

Should of read this before playing it as the game was just beginning to drive me nuts

Finally I got a decent score

Thread