Thread
Printable Version

Legality

Legality

I understand that this site is (i hope), legal (as we pay for it) however i just wanted to know about some of the information and things that surround it as i was wondering about it.

could you possibly tell me the answers to these questions?

1.How do you actually get hold of the programs? i.e do you go to the makers and pay them for it, or do they give it you free etc?
2.Don't the actors have to consent with having this online? if so how do they do this?
3.What country are you actually based in? USA?

and if you could add anything else you can think of?

Thanks for your time

Ben

Reply 1#1 staircase's post

I can't answer all of your questions, but the answer to #3 is China.  As for the legality of the site, here is some information:

US Copyright Code Title 17, Chapter 1, § 111. Limitations on exclusive rights: Secondary transmissions, subsection a5:
(a)  Certain Secondary Transmissions Exempted.— The secondary transmission of a performance or display of a work embodied in a primary transmission is not an infringement of copyright if—
(5) the secondary transmission is not made by a cable system but is made by a governmental body, or other nonprofit organization, without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, and without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service.

Subsection 3 might also apply but I am not entirely sure as it would apply more to the free side then the VIP side.
(3) the secondary transmission is made by any carrier who has no direct or indirect control over the content or selection of the primary transmission or over the particular recipients of the secondary transmission, and whose activities with respect to the secondary transmission consist solely of providing wires, cables, or other communications channels for the use of others: Provided, That the provisions of this clause extend only to the activities of said carrier with respect to secondary transmissions and do not exempt from liability the activities of others with respect to their own primary or secondary transmissions;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000111----000-.html

I hope this helps to put your mind somewhat at ease.

Barb
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

does the above apply to uk users?

Reply 3#3 kitty862003's post

It applies everyone

Reply 3#3 kitty862003's post

Yes, as bala said, it applies to everyone.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Thread