26 12
Thread
Printable Version

time to buy a new server?

time to buy a new server?

I know equipment is expensive, but the lags at peak usage times are just getting riDICulous. It's a daily thing, always around the same times, and it's getting worse. The site is simply unusable when it happens, forcing me to go elsewhere. So far, it's taken me about 10 minutes to get an episode of 24 up and running -- and it's still not running, because the video keeps halting to reload. I've basically just wasted a couple of points, because it's too irritating trying to watch under these conditions.
Recent Ratings
  • Milks26 Points +5 For server problems 10-28-2008 22:44

running smooth for me....

pages are taking about 10 more secs to load than usual but other than that, vids are running smooth. Not to gloat, just giving u some feedback from another member. Hope your prob is solved for you soon. Happy Viewing

I'm experiencing the same problems as ragamoffyn, at certain times of the day it is basically impossible for me to even log in. Though this can be annoying, this is still the best site I know and since it is basically free, I can't really complain. I know viptv.net does not endorse downloading, but real player has a record function, so you can record some shows while the site isn't quite so busy and just watch them at a later time.
Recent Ratings
  • Milks26 Points +5 For server problems 10-28-2008 22:44

not sure where yew guys are from but im from the uk and anytime of the day, the videos work...maybe the server yew are trying to use may be over used at times but i always use the EU server and it works fine...when i mean it works fine, i mean there is no lag and it is awesome =) there may be a problem if at the bottom it says 450 kbp because on my computer upstairs, its kinda old and when i watch a video on there, it becomes out of sync, not the sites fault but my pc because its old and slow. when i watch the same exact video on my laptop, works perfectly so maybe its just that episode of 24 that might be of a higher quality and so may require a faster computer...hope it helps yew =)

I use the EU server. And unfortunately (or fortunately) it's not the episode or my computer, because during the bad times, no episodes work, and during the good times, everything works.

Reply 5#5 ragamoffyn's post

We are sorry about this i suggest try when not many people on-line

Quote:
Originally posted by bala at 10-28-2008 21:16 i suggest try when not many people on-line
How are they going to know what time of day is that exactly? Ppl log in at different times Guys I'm experiencing problems myself. I was trying to watch Samantha Who, tried to be patient, but its a waste of time. I finally got the replay on abc.com [ Last edited by Milks26 at 10-29-2008 06:38 ]

Reply 7#7 Milks26's post

i would suggest in the mornings and afternoon

Quote:
Originally posted by bala at 10-28-2008 21:16 We are sorry about this i suggest try when not many people on-line
That's really your suggestion? Instead of working to improve your product, you suggest that I just don't use your product when it's not working? You suggest that I watch TV whenever it is most convenient for your server, rather than when is convenient for me? I'm not trying to be mean, but that's not the best business model. What if I paid for unlimited access for a month? Shouldn't I be able to use your sevice whenever I want during that month? If I apply credits toward a show, shouldn't I be able to watch that show? If not, I'm just going to go elsewhere. Upgrading your equipment should be seen as an investment toward retaining your subscribers, and for letting those subscribers spend more money (credits) on your site during peak hours.

Reply 9#9 ragamoffyn's post

I completely agree with you but we can't control the demand on this site. in an idea situation everyone could watch any show whenever they want. That our aim but it's going take time and all we ask if for member to be patient. i'm sorry if you didn't like my suggestion

Hi I'm in the UK & watch the EU server most of the time. Over the last few weeks possibly the last month the programmes ARE taking much longer to load. I'ts 9.59am here I've been trying to watch episode 4 season four of Boston legal for the last three days. it takes so long to load that I have to log off and do other things. I am trying again this morning, it's been trying to load for the last 45mins. It definatley is not my computer it was bought three month it's a Dell and works like lightning on everything else. Does this have anything to do with your new games site? It may be coincidence but it has definatley got worse since then. I am wasting points because it takes so long.
Recent Ratings
  • bala Points +5 Sorry for inconvenience :) 10-31-2008 02:13

Reply 11#11 ritac-p's post

What about your internet provider ? I'm also from the uk but am not having any problem i'm with talk-talk and i have had no problem. i used to be with homecall but i kept on getting time-out since changing i have had no problems

Hi I'm with Bt Internet, the problem has only just started, I used to be able to watch programmes without interuption, it's only been the last couple of weeks that the server seems to be extreemley slow. I don't think i'm geeting "timed out" its more that the programmes take so long to watch, I end up putting them on pause coming back 15mins later watching abit before it stops and starts the "communication" process. As i said it's only just started to happen over the last couple of weeks.

Hi Since I didn't get a relpy to my last post, just like to say that 12.11pm (3 HRS LATER)just finished watching Boston Legal (1 episode). At the same time watched two episodes of BSG (best programme in the world)from another sorce no problems whatsoever. Like to ask again is this because you are using the same server for the Games Site.

Reply 14#14 ritac-p's post

Hi, I'm glad you finally got to watch Boston Legal (and I'm a huge BSG fan too). It's possible the new games site is causing the viewing problems for some users. We (the Moderators) have brought this to the attention of the Administration so they can give us a definitive answer. The VIP site does have 2 servers, either of which can be used by anyone. You didn't mention if you tried both, but feel free to do so as your points are valid for either server.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

In the past I've watched shows here that I knew I could get free elsewhere becuz I wanted to support this site. but around 10am this morning I started trying to watch an episode of Life. got the grey "invalid" msg from the US server. tried watching on the EU server but it keeps stopping playback to "communicate" every minute or two. I've run out of things to do whilst waiting for playback to continue, so I'm going to the NBC site now cuz I'd rather sit thru commercials than watch that light blink red and yellow anymore ... [ Last edited by Mercuriel1 at 11-2-2008 02:54 ]

Hi Yes tried both servers, thought I'd try to watch Boston Legal series 5 episode 5 this morning, can't be bothered anymore, this is such a waste of my time, totally agree with Mercuriel 1 and can only go elsewhere for the shows, shame this site was so good.

Need a new server?

This is a serious subject guys. I do pay for the 30 day flat rate fee and I want to watch TV whenever I downright please to. If these lag times are not fixed by the end of the month then I will be elsewhere. I dont need to be spending money and getting crappy service I could get from a FREE site. I PAY for EXCEPTIONAL load speeds around the clock. Fix your demand issues or quit charging people for a service you cant always provide.

It definitely is a problem that exists. I love this site... I've been with it since Day 1 when the vip site was in its test phase and completely free.... so I don't normally like to bad mouth it. I have been noticing the severe lag over the last month or so though. Most of the time it's just an annoyance, but there have been 3 times that I can think of that I've been completely unable to watch an episode. Yes I did indeed try both servers. This site is only getting bigger and better. It seems like the servers should follow this pattern.

I have to agree with most of the contributers on this thread. I cannot believe how slow and crappy it is now to watch a show on here. I was on this site alot a few months ago, and had no problems and was really impressed. So impressed that I recommended the site to all and sundry. The last couple of months due to long working hours, I have not been on the site until today...and what has happened???!!!! I am trying to watch "Supernatural" but cannot due to the fact the audio is out of sync with the picture, the video stops to reload, and the show would "haltingly" work for 5 seconds before stopping again, which if you have the patience of a saint would take 2-3 hours to watch a 45 minute program!!!!!!! Come on guys, obviously this is serious, as lots of people are experiencing these problems. To offer excuses such as "Use UK instead of USA server" or vice versa, and it might be your "computer", "Broadband speed", "Use it when there is less traffic" etc is a joke. Surely for us consumers, who are paying for a premium service have a right to have what it says on the tin. There has been no offer of refunds, or any goodwill gesture to consumers, and quite frankly no good explaination. Tis a shame as this was once a fantastic site, which may have fallen victim to supply and demand, and can not obviously keep up. For the record I have a brand new souped up Dell, I'm in the UK, I'm with Virgin's premium broadband service, and have NO problem loading up any other pages or programs on the internet. [ Last edited by radley30 at 11-6-2008 20:45 ]

26 12
Thread