Thread
Printable Version

Real Player is Driving Me Nuts - Ideas?

No Sound

I also had some small issues with video, but I am willing to watch shows that have a slight sizing problem. My problem w/RealPlayer is that all of a sudden the sound is gone....Does anyone have a clue why? I have been on the RP forums, and read most of them, and tried everything I read, all to no avail. My computer does not have any other sound issues. Games play fine, internet plays fine, everything else has sound, just RP does not. It does not play sound with new downloads or old downloads. And the intermediate window that vip.tv-video.net pops up, which lets you play the show in RP, HAS SOUND. I f'ing hate RP, why do we have to use it?!?!?!

I tried an "alternative," but it did not work. Maybe because I am using Vista?

I appreciate the help, but I'm not an idiot. No, RP is NOT muted. My computer is NOT muted. My speakers work just fine anywhere and everywhere else, any other program. RP is the ONLY program that does not give me sound.

As for the codecs being out-of-date, two parts: one, I have checked all the recent downloads for RP through it's update mechanism, and have made sure I have everything; two, I have a feeling the problem is with an update, as in RP did an auto update and something in the new version caused the sound to go away. And of course, there is no way to install the old version, because the installation process requires you to be hooked up to the internet, where RP automatically downloads and installs the most recent version. Have I mentioned before that I hate RP? Thank you for the help, I hope someone can come up with someway for me to get sound back. As of right now, I can download shows, but it does me no good. There are no subtitles, I have no sound, and I can't read lips.

Well, I've tried a couple of older versions of RP, and they also have no sound, even playing other things, like CDs and what not. Of course, they won't play the downloaded shows from vip.tv-video.net, because older versions of RP have to be updated in order to read the files. But now I'm wondering if there's a sound setting somewhere in Vista that I don't know about that won't give audio or audio privileges to RP. Anyone know?

Thank you to everyone who responded. Apparently, contrary to my previous statement, I AM an idiot. Thanks to silver1978 for pointing this out to me. It's partly a small change with Vista: with XP you double click on the speaker icon next to the clock; with Vista you right click on the speaker icon, and go to "Open Volume Mixer." On mine, there was a slide bar, which I hadn't previously noticed, and all the way to the right was a separate slider to control the volume for RP, which was, of course, muted. Hence why all the other audio on my computer worked, just not the audio for RP. Hope this helps anyone else who has the problem. And sorry for wasting your time.

Thread