24 12
Thread
Printable Version

Real Player is Driving Me Nuts - Ideas?

Real Player is Driving Me Nuts - Ideas?

I have been watching Star Trek : The Next Generation (which I am thrilled to have here, btw and thanks!!) but I am having a problem with it. The problem seems to start in Season Three (although the first two episodes of season one did this as well). The aspect ratio is off and there is no way to change it in RP. I have investigated this and it just isn't possible. And of course, we can't play these videos in anything but Real Player. Is there anything that can be done on your end to fix this? Poor Captain Picard looks like he has been run over by a giant rolling pin!!
Would YOU go through the Stargate?

Reply 1#1 windchimes's post

I checked it and you are correct. I don't think it's an RP problem though. The problem could have originated with the source of the upload.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Season 6 of Sex and the City also has a bad aspect ratio. It's 4:3, but should be 16:9, as far as I can tell.

I am pleased to report that Star Trek Next Generation is fine from season 4 on.
Recent Ratings
  • waterlilybarb Points +2 Thanks for the report. :) 7-21-2008 16:40
Would YOU go through the Stargate?

Reply 4#4 windchimes's post

Thank you for letting us know.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 1#1 windchimes's post

I dont use Realplayer I use real alternative so I can play in anything that plays a video codec, for example Windows Media Player.

How exactly can you not use real player? isn't that the only way to watch the shows in full screen?

Here is the link to download Real Alternative...However I urge you to scan for virus before installing...or in other words install at your own risk...don't come after me,.... http://www.free-codecs.com/real_Alternative_download.htm
A Fine Member of the Mod  Squad!

No Sound

I also had some small issues with video, but I am willing to watch shows that have a slight sizing problem. My problem w/RealPlayer is that all of a sudden the sound is gone....Does anyone have a clue why? I have been on the RP forums, and read most of them, and tried everything I read, all to no avail. My computer does not have any other sound issues. Games play fine, internet plays fine, everything else has sound, just RP does not. It does not play sound with new downloads or old downloads. And the intermediate window that vip.tv-video.net pops up, which lets you play the show in RP, HAS SOUND. I f'ing hate RP, why do we have to use it?!?!?!

Reply 9#9 mnmbusch's post

I never had problems with RealPlayer until the last update they did- now it crashes on me often. Like you, the initial window works fine. I am going to try Real alternative and will share my experience (pros & cons) with others. It has been suggested to allow other programs to watch videos, however this would require (I believe) reformating every episode on the site since they are in Real Video format.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

I tried an "alternative," but it did not work. Maybe because I am using Vista?

Reply 11#11 mnmbusch's post

Open Realplayer and look at the bottom right of the program and should see a small speaker icon if this coloured in red click it and your problem should be fixed.
The pen is mighter than the sword.

I appreciate the help, but I'm not an idiot. No, RP is NOT muted. My computer is NOT muted. My speakers work just fine anywhere and everywhere else, any other program. RP is the ONLY program that does not give me sound.

Reply 13#13 mnmbusch's post

There is the possibility that your audio codecs for RealPlayer are not up-to-date. I will do a little research and see what I can find.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

As for the codecs being out-of-date, two parts: one, I have checked all the recent downloads for RP through it's update mechanism, and have made sure I have everything; two, I have a feeling the problem is with an update, as in RP did an auto update and something in the new version caused the sound to go away. And of course, there is no way to install the old version, because the installation process requires you to be hooked up to the internet, where RP automatically downloads and installs the most recent version. Have I mentioned before that I hate RP? Thank you for the help, I hope someone can come up with someway for me to get sound back. As of right now, I can download shows, but it does me no good. There are no subtitles, I have no sound, and I can't read lips.

Reply 15#15 mnmbusch's post

You can use an older version of RealPlayer (if you feel the new version is the problem) here the link. But be sure to delete your current version first. Ps The first time you load Realplayer up you can disable Automatic Updates via Preferences
The pen is mighter than the sword.

Reply 16#16 01torres's post

When i had trouble with RP updates i uninstalled it but it left a folder on the C Drive which could only be deleted after i restarted my computer and my computer is running Vista with Firefox 3.01 and RealPlayer11GOLD with no updates and it is now great [ Last edited by codebreaker at 8-9-2008 15:27 ]

RP driving me nuts too!!!

I want to know how many more people there r who r having this problem????? Hi wwjdsally here, im having problems too!!![u] ALL of MY VIDEO'S WONT LOAD !!! & if they do manage 2 load "after taking about 15min 2 load", it stops every 3 seconds literally, plus i cant watch more than 1 minuite of the show b4 it crashes, no matter what i do, ive paused a million times, iv exited then re entered again, etc... i usually am able 2 solve the prob but nothing works!!! IM REALLY TICKED!! iv even been 2 live customer service & they didnt know either how 2 fix it or or 2 get around it, they didnt even worry that a VIP viewer was getting worse service than a non VIP member, can anyone please HELP!!! maybe then theyl do something about it!!!

Hi wwjdsally here, whats realplayer 11 gold??? iv been watching 4 about a year & a half & have never updated nor recived an update on anything, does this happen automatically? or do i have to find a link to do so etc...? will this stop the "not loading prob"?

Reply 19#19 wwjdsally's post

well update on the player click tool and click on check for update

24 12
Thread