80 1234
Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

Reply 747#747 bala's post

I doubt it. TV's are designed for a certain amount of "life expectancy" - I'd imagine something significant was faulty on it and they decided it would cost as much to fix it as to replace it.

Reply 749#749 codebreaker's post

Bad serviceman so, lol. But yeh, they might have known it was an overall design fault as you say.

Reply 763#763 bala's post

Actually that's not true. There is a perception that they get more on benefits but actually you get more on the minimum wage. I watched a channel 4 documentary on this and when they worked out what benefits they got versus working full time on minimum wage, they came out with a lot more working full time. Plus a sense of worth that you can't put a value on.

I'm with you Craig, lazy sods. But sure you think the UK is bad, it's worse here! We seem to indirectly encourage people not to work here and our minimum wage is better than the UK. It's €8.65 an hour here in Ireland.

I have to tell you this is something that drives me mad. When I see able bodied people not working when they can

Reply 766#766 bala's post

Well you have to be clever with what you state on your CV. You're right that people don't like to see gaps in CV's, but is there something you could fill that gap with? e.g. (you did freelance blogging for TV shows) or something like this. You have to be creative. Everyone embellishes a little on their CV, it's almost expected!  

You also need to tailor your CV to a specific job you are going for. It doesn't work just to send a bog standard CV out each time. Look at the job you are going for, find out a lot about the company and expectations and in your covering letter (which you should keep brief) state what attributes you have that will make you the ideal candidate for this job.

As someone who has read a lot of CV's I always appreciate the person who put in a bit more effort and made my job easier by not having to read through pages of CV details to find what might be relevant to the role. Plus, in an interview, always bring out things that make you the ideal person that are relevant to the job, company. It shows you are interested in their company and not just getting a job.

[ Last edited by shinny at 5-30-2011 09:48 ]

Reply 768#768 bala's post

I never said to lie. Don't you write blogs on TV shows? Where's the lie in that? Be truthful, but everyone embellishes and bigs themself up. Or you could keep doing what your doing and not get any interviews

At the end of the day you'll still need to be able to live up to what you say you can do because, during your probation period they'll find out.

Fyi, embellish just means to make something more interesting by adding detail.

[ Last edited by shinny at 5-30-2011 16:21 ]

Any good PC shop should have one Bala, or you could try Amazon, Ebay etc.

Reply 794#794 bala's post

I agree, they should be trying to tack on certain things to make a better sale for themselves as well. This one is an easy sell too because I agree with what Barb said in that it's a necessity!

Reply 801#801 bala's post

Did you look into getting the cooling pad? Most decent ones will have extra USB ports (you'll lose one on your laptop by connecting to the cooling pad) but you'll get a few more with a decent one.

Cars these days are harder to tinker with though. A lot of them require computer based diagnostics. Figuring out blown fuses still can be done but I usually give my Dad a buzz because he genuinely likes that kind of thing. He's restored a couple of motorbikes over the years and it's funny when I tell people that because my Dad would be seen as quite business like and not into that sort of thing at all. Never judge a book by a cover; very true!!

Reply 899#899 bala's post

You need to discipline yourself though. There are so many apps on the market. Think about what you want your phone to do and then just stick to some good apps. It's more about quality than quantity. The amount of apps that get downloaded and then removed almost immediately in quite high.

Reply 901#901 bala's post

I'll do the same. I have an iPhone so not the android market, but I check out what's new and worth the effort of downloading it outside of the store itself. I also have a Macbook so I like to look into anything new that is worth while.

And I just bought a Samsung Smart TV which has it's own app store (best apps of any of the smart tv's) so that's another one I have to check out!

Reply 981#981 bala's post

And the worse thing is, some people will buy this!

Just while you we are talking about laptops and such. I have a Macbook Air, it's 4 years old. The power cable frayed and stopped working about a year & half ago. I contacted Apple and they replaced it, no issues. Then it frayed again just recently. So I chanced my arm and contacted them again.

I got put through to a supervisor and he explained that I was well outside my warranty but he did not like that it had frayed again and believed I had received a faulty one, replacing the original faulty one (apparently they redesigned them in 2013 so this fraying wouldn't happen). Not only that, my laptop is from the US so I have to use an adapter here. He sent me a new US power cable and a UK/Ireland one! I have to say I know Apple are very good with their support/replacements, but even that surprised me. The power cables are the best part of about €70 each, so that's €140 replacements that really I wasn't entitled to.

I think it's worth it investing in apple products!!

Reply 1110#1110 bala's post

Sorry to hear that Bala. It's hard to lose a grandparent. They are always there and when they pass it can be really hard. Good advice from Barb there. I think it's important to also know that it's ok to not feel ok. Sometimes you have to own those emotions and just go with that feeling, at that time. You will feel better for it. Take care.

Reply 1159#1159 bala's post

What model are you looking at?

Reply 1161#1161 bala's post

I had a VW polo years ago. Great little car. Can't go wrong with that!

Reply 1230#1230 bala's post

Same to you Bala

I agree, it's frustrating for us too. We are waiting on some answers also. As Jim said the site is not going anywhere, it's doing well and as a business they are obviously trying to expand their membership further. Hopefully we'll hear some progress updates soon.

Yes it’s down at the moment, just today. Admin are working to resolve the issue. Apologies.

No problem.

They do own several sites, TVFull being one of them so I’d imagine so for that one too.

80 1234
Thread