132 1234567
Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

The best you guys can come up with is chatting about video games?  Sad.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 14#14 shinny's post

If they start on about football, then we'll never see Trulee again...as she'll probably set up camp n here.   She's a Liverpool fan.

Reply 16#16 bala's post

Bala  - Craig is from the UK, but is living in Cyprus at the moment.  I have a sneaking suspicion he's a footie fan. :P

Reply 21#21 kwargalla's post

Tell me about it.  These guys are so boring!

Reply 23#23 munch's post

I told Craig that if he started a thread for the fellas, it would be overrun with women.  I don't think he believed me, but here we are.

Reply 25#25 gabsimom's post

Do you mean these Tina?  Don't you think the fellas will like them?   

Actually, they're rather hideous.  Better they stay in here.  We wouldn't want this crap cluttering up the rest of the forum now, would we?

Reply 58#58 goaliesbear's post

They know the difference - I think one even mentioned soccer in parentheses to let us know which he was referring to.  I have so many Brit friends that I call it football too when with them, and we always seem to be able to tell the difference as to which form we're talking about...which is good, or we'd be perpetually confused.

Reply 55#55 silver1978's post

Shannon, you weren't supposed to tell.  They're all supposed to think I have marvelous powers of recollection...which I actually do.

Reply to moppybrody

You are welcome to be their servant if you like, but I'd take Tina up on her offer, if I were you.  We offer a lot more perks than the fells do.  Also, are their legs broken or something that they can't get off their butts to do anything for themselves?

Reply 61#61 bala's post

What did your last slave die of?

Reply 68#68 goaliesbear's post

I think we already have.   I told Craig he wouldn't be able to sustain something like this, like we have with the giggle box.  We women are a tenacious lot, and will not be thwarted by a mere title.

Reply 80#80 casper27's post

I always forget there's a difference when it comes to electronics.  Anybody know why?  Just curious.

Reply 85#85 shinny's post

Thank you for explaining that to me.  I knew it had something to do with the voltage - because I've read the info to bring converters when you travel, but I've never travelled overseas, so hadn't done the actual homework to understand why there was such a difference.  

I know that the DVD players and discs are different too, which sucks.  They do sell machines that can play the discs from various regions, but I'm willing to wait.  I noticed that when I was looking to see when McLeod's Daughters was coming out on DVD, and it obviously comes out in Australia first.  North Americans have to wait at least several months before the reformatted discs are available, so I just wait and rent them then.  

You'd think with all the bright minds they'd be able to make a universal machine that would play anything from anywhere.  Of course, they wouldn't make as much money, so I guess I just answered my own question.

Reply 87#87 bala's post

Yep.  It's all about the $$.

Reply 89#89 bala's post

I know.  That's what I was referring to here:
Quote:
They do sell machines that can play the discs from various regions
, but they cost too much for the couple of things I'd like...especially when I can just wait a little bit and be able to see them anyway.

Reply 95#95 kwargalla's post

I know they sell them here at Canadian Tire for quite a reasonable price.  It makes sense for you, since you've lived in both places, but seems kind of pointless if you're planning to stay in one country (like me).

Good to know about the laptop adapters though.

Reply 97#97 bala's post

I still have my cassettes and a player.  I don't have a turntable anymore though, so finally gave up the albums.   As far as I know, various formats can be played on an i-pod or other mp3 player - I don't have one though, so I'm not speaking form experience.  

BTW, clever thinking Shinny!  Nice way to save some dough.

Reply 120#120 kwargalla's post

Wow!  I wish I worked with your Mom.

Reply 122#122 casper27's post

I love free stuff too - giving it away almost as much as getting it.  I used to be a sample lady at the liquor store, so everyone liked me,   Even though the samples are small, I had fun passing them out to customers, and was one of the best sales people around.  I could even get people to buy creamy liqueurs in the middle of summer (those are usually big winter sellers), because couples often came in together, and women like them.

I'm not a person into a lot of gadgets, but I would like to get an mp3 player.  A Palm Pilot would be nicer, but since it's not a need and they're more expensive the mp3 player would suit me for now.  I'm moving to the pretty far north at the end of July, and in some areas you can't get a decent radio signal in the car.  I'd mainly like it so I can have good music to travel to , especially if I'm on the road for any length of time - like when I drive down here to visit my friends (7-12hr trip depending which route I have to take).

Reply 124#124 casper27's post

I'm only going to the middle of the province, so it's still pretty civilized.   I have plenty of warm blankets, I needed them HERE this past winter as my radiators didn't work very well and it was a cold winter all around.  There's lots of bush (forest) up there, which is nice for hiking.  

My Mum already lives up there, so I'm moving to be nearer to her, and already have her on the hunt for a nice sized house we can rent.  We get along great, but will both need some space to ourselves (especially me).  She grew up in a large family in a small house, so is a bit more easy-going than I am, though I'm getting better.  I've been on my own so long (except for having roommates over the past year & a half - though not anymore, YAY!) that it drives me crazy to feel like there's always someone around.  

What I WILL need is some new clothes.  I have good boots and a good warm winter coat, but I'll need another coat - less dressy - for everyday wear, and warmer pants and socks.  Plus, I'll have to get the blades on my ice skates sharpened.

I'm looking forward to living up there, but not to all the work it will take in packing to actually get there.

Reply 135#135 munch's post

I'm moving about an hour from Sault Ste. Marie.

Shinny, September is a nice time of year to visit.  It's usually still quite warm, but the horrible heat & humidity of summer is mostly over.  It's not generally rainy then and would be a good time for site seeing.

Reply 151#151 shinny's post

Montreal is good for shopping, and if you speak any French it's a really nice city.  It's a little more like Europe than other Canadian cities, so it just depends which you're looking for.  They both have decent subway/transit systems, which are a great way to get around.

132 1234567
Thread