Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

Reply 120#120 kwargalla's post

Wow!  I wish I worked with your Mom.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 121#121 waterlilybarb's post

I love free stuff. My wife always has a go at me when we are in the supermarket, I just gorge on all the free nibbles and drinks. I can't help my self. One time I had to hand the car keys to my wife as i'd drunk like 3 full glasses of wine without even realizing it just trying all the different ones. Im going to have a look in that Palm Pilot sounds really good and Im due another gadget I think.
I've just got this laptop by the way and it's awesome ,it's is the Dell XPS M1530 for the price it's rapid.

Reply 122#122 casper27's post

I love free stuff too - giving it away almost as much as getting it.  I used to be a sample lady at the liquor store, so everyone liked me,   Even though the samples are small, I had fun passing them out to customers, and was one of the best sales people around.  I could even get people to buy creamy liqueurs in the middle of summer (those are usually big winter sellers), because couples often came in together, and women like them.

I'm not a person into a lot of gadgets, but I would like to get an mp3 player.  A Palm Pilot would be nicer, but since it's not a need and they're more expensive the mp3 player would suit me for now.  I'm moving to the pretty far north at the end of July, and in some areas you can't get a decent radio signal in the car.  I'd mainly like it so I can have good music to travel to , especially if I'm on the road for any length of time - like when I drive down here to visit my friends (7-12hr trip depending which route I have to take).

Reply 123#123 waterlilybarb's post

7 - 12hrs!! wow its so hard for someone from the UK to grasp just how big Canada is. I can travel to anywhere on the island in under 2hrs here. Hope you have bought some good thick blankets I bet it gets Baltic up there. Is it up near the tree line that you are going?

Reply 124#124 casper27's post

That's because you have great motorways. For me to drive from Wicklow to Kerry could take between 5 to 5.5 hrs and it's only 320 Kilometres (200 miles)

Some routes are better than others because the Motorway is great, but some a terribly long !

*Edit*
Oops, did you mean Cyprus or the UK?? Haha, not sure now. I suppose technically the UK isn't an island anymore, so you must mean Cyprus !!

Ok, I just realised how stupid that sounds now. 2hrs to anywhere in the UK - Doh !

[ Last edited by shinny at 5-11-2008 18:53 ]

Reply 124#124 casper27's post

I'm only going to the middle of the province, so it's still pretty civilized.   I have plenty of warm blankets, I needed them HERE this past winter as my radiators didn't work very well and it was a cold winter all around.  There's lots of bush (forest) up there, which is nice for hiking.  

My Mum already lives up there, so I'm moving to be nearer to her, and already have her on the hunt for a nice sized house we can rent.  We get along great, but will both need some space to ourselves (especially me).  She grew up in a large family in a small house, so is a bit more easy-going than I am, though I'm getting better.  I've been on my own so long (except for having roommates over the past year & a half - though not anymore, YAY!) that it drives me crazy to feel like there's always someone around.  

What I WILL need is some new clothes.  I have good boots and a good warm winter coat, but I'll need another coat - less dressy - for everyday wear, and warmer pants and socks.  Plus, I'll have to get the blades on my ice skates sharpened.

I'm looking forward to living up there, but not to all the work it will take in packing to actually get there.

Just been reading some Information about Canada for us Brits
*The cost of living in Canada is lower than in the UK.
*Electrical goods from the UK - unless they can be adapted - will not work in Canada. Canada's electricity is 120 volts, 60 hertz.
*Canadians pay income taxes to both the Federal Government and the Government of the province they live in. Income tax rates vary from province to province.
*Canada ranks 4th in the United Nations' Human Development Index (pdf file). The HDI measures life expectancy, educational attainment and adjusted real income of nations. Canada ranks behind Norway, Sweden and Australia. In the same index, the USA ranks 8th, the UK 12th, France 16th and China 94th.
*Over 600,000 British people live and work in Canada.
*Canada's area is 9,984,670 sq. km - over 40 times bigger than the UK. Canada's lakes cover an area more than 3 times the size of the UK.

Source ByebyeBlighty

Reply 125#125 shinny's post

The roads here in the UK make me shiver with fear! The thing that gets me the most is in the US, if I say something is 60 miles away, that can be (for the most part) figured as 1 hour away. Here, if something is 60 miles away, it could take me 3 hours to get there
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

Reply 127#127 casper27's post

Quote:
Canada ranks 4th in the United Nations' Human Development Index (pdf file). The HDI measures life expectancy, educational attainment and adjusted real income of nations. Canada ranks behind Norway, Sweden and Australia. In the same index, the USA ranks 8th, the UK 12th, France 16th and China 94th.
Ireland ranks 5th in the 2007/08 listings => HERE

Reply 128#128 silver1978's post

Haha, yeh I know. Our Motorways can't really compare to the highways and Freeways!!

I did not know that Canada only became fully independent from Britain in 1982. I thought is was years ago!!

Reply 131#131 casper27's post

Yeh that's true. They are still part of the commonwealth.

Did you know that Queen Elizabeth II is also still the Queen of Australia and they also remain part of the commonwealth?

I may be wrong but isn't Queen Elizebeth II the monarch for all the countries of the commonwealth

Reply 133#133 slade01's post

Yeh she is. Sorry, I should have elaborated. It's just that Australia recently (within the last 6/7 years) had a referendum on whether or not to stay part of the commonwealth or be an independent republic, cutting all ties with the monarch. They chose to stay part of the commonwealth, I believe by a small margin.

Reply 126#126 waterlilybarb's post

If you ever get to the nation's capital let me know.  I would be happy to show you around.  I don't know how far north you are going but I don't envy you.  The older I get the less I like the cold.

Bring on summer
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."  Adam Savage

Reply 135#135 munch's post

What's the weather like in September? I've been threatening to go to Canada for years now and we're thinking about this year. Just wondering what September is like?

Reply 135#135 munch's post

I'm moving about an hour from Sault Ste. Marie.

Shinny, September is a nice time of year to visit.  It's usually still quite warm, but the horrible heat & humidity of summer is mostly over.  It's not generally rainy then and would be a good time for site seeing.

You know hearing about where  you guys live makes me wish I wasn't stuck in the middle of nowhere aka OHIO.  I really wish I could live in another country especially Great Britian.  It looks beautiful over there.  Hey any of you overseas people need a roommate.  OH CRAP HEH HEH HI HONEY I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WAS WATCHING ME TYPE..................OUCH help.............
Lost in space and time, trying to find the way.

Reply 137#137 waterlilybarb's post

Thanks Barb.

Reply 138#138 RyanB1's post

Ryan, the UK is definitely a beautiful place and I am glad that I came here, but I will be happy to go back to the US. The main issue here in the UK for me right now is the cost of living. Housing is VERY expensive and since the pound is so high, so is everything else. Unfortunately when a country's currency is as high as the UK's currently is, it hurts all the citizens of that country and there are a lot of people here starting to feel the pinch.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

Thread