Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

Reply 220#220 waterlilybarb's post

Dumb question here

What is Soda?

you yank keep using his term over uk we have no idea what you mean?

Reply 221#221 bala's post

Soda = Soft Drinks...some ppl call it Pop

they all mean the same thing

[ Last edited by Milks26 at 5-31-2008 08:17 ]

Reply 222#222 Milks26's post

Thanks-i wasn't sure about that-over here we do have drink called soda

Reply 221#221 bala's post

I'm NOT a Yank!  I'm Canadian - there's a difference.  I didn't realize soda was a North American term though.  I'll keep that in mind.  We have soda water here too, if that's what you're referring to - mainly used for mixed drinks, or by people who don't drink alcohol.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 224#224 waterlilybarb's post

Yeh, Soda would be more of a American/Canadian thing. In Ireland we'd call them Soft Drinks, sometimes Fizzy drinks. But I'd know what someone meant if they said Soda or Pop.

Reply 224#224 waterlilybarb's post

I know that-you keep saying that

that one thing i don't get about American -why is such a big deal whether your from taxas or cananda or new york-surely you are all from same part of country? you guys all from north America?

Reply 226#226 bala's post

Bala, Canada is not part of America !! It's a separate country.

*edit* well I should clarify that it is not part of the United States of America, but is part of North America or part of the America's. However, it is a separate entity.

[ Last edited by shinny at 5-31-2008 15:36 ]

Reply 226#226 bala's post

Just so you know, North America is a continent, like Europe or Asia.  It is comprised of the United States, Canada and Mexico, along with some smaller nations and territories - see here.  You wouldn't appreciate it if I said you were Polish or Italian, just because you're from the same continent as those countries.  It's the same thing.  Canada is it's own country and is actually part of the Commonwealth.  We are not one of the US states, as are Texas and New York, for example.  We have our own government and our country, the 2nd largest in the world, is comprised of 10 provinces and 3 territories.

That's why I get annoyed when you call me an American.  I like Americans, and have relatives who are American, but I am Canadian, and though not a politically active person, I am proud of where I come from.

Reply 228#228 waterlilybarb's post

thanks for the explanation

Reply 229#229 bala's post

Didn't know you were going to class today, eh?  I wasn't expecting to give a geography/geopolitical class either...so we'll call it even.  

Reply 230#230 waterlilybarb's post

i was just try get some discussion going-i know Canada is a different country it just no much i know about it. from all i seen on tv it's rather cold over there so i don't get why people want live there?. surely sunny weather in USA make it more appealing than Canada-all i know you just mountains and some land.

i hope i haven't insult you by this comment

Reply 231#231 bala's post

LOL those poor Canadians, having to defend their territory (quite literally) all the time lol!

Not all of Canada is cold - though, yes, a lot of it is. I've only been to cities (Toronto and Vancouver) but I have visited the land around them as well (there's a lot of lovely driving to be done in Canada) and while it may be cold, it is beautiful. Like, why do people live in or visit Alaska - there is definitely payoff to the chillier temperatures. The mountains, the lakes, the wildlife. And Toronto and Vancouver are very modern, friendly, multi-ethnic cities. I'm a big fan of Canada (my sister-in-law is from Winnipeg and I have many friends who live there).

Reply 232#232 studiojek's post

I wasn't attacking Canada i would like to visit there for 2 weeks.

With USA i have good idea about all states so i know which states in USA i would like to visit  but Canada is country it has cities and town but i have no idea which are best to visit in Canada?

Reply 233#233 bala's post

Oh, I know - it's just that a lot of people know very little about Canada (myself included), just thought I would give the country some due respect

The Canadians can surely answer better than I can on the where to travel question though...

Reply 234#234 studiojek's post

i respect Canada

Reply 235#235 bala's post

Didn't say you didn't! I'm sure the Canadians appreciate your shout out though

Reply 236#236 studiojek's post

Well it was tone you were imply

just thought I would give the country some due respect

Reply 237#237 bala's post

Bala, I don't think there was a tone in Studio's comments. It's a common misconception people have and I think Studio was just reflecting that.

We have the same problem here in Ireland, with the whole UK thing, as does Portugal with Spain, New Zealand with Australia to name but a few others in the same boat.

Reply 238#238 shinny's post

don't get me started on ireland

look it's beautiful place but the accent is very funny espically when you can't understand a word they are saying .

if you just talk slighly slow we might understand what you were saying assume your speaking English not Scottish  

*waiting for shinny get her gun out *

Reply 239#239 bala's post

Lol, we've many different accents Bala so you're obviously talking about some of our more lyrical ones. Northern Ireland, Cork City, Dublin City. The rest are quite neutral actually.

And, we were voted as having the best accent in the world in a MSN survey !

At one point Ireland was the only place outside of the US that call centres would locate to.

Thread