Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

The funniest thing that was ever said to me regarding my accent was when I was in New York a few years back. We got talking to some guys and girls from the UK. Out of nowhere one of them says "I can see now where the Irish twang on some of the New York accents comes from" I can't see it myself at all !!

The strangest thing that was every said to me was when I was in Macy's in San Francisco years ago. This perfume lady stopped us and we were chatting away to her and she said "Where are you guys from" and we said "Ireland" then she asked "Idaho?" and we said no "Ireland, in Europe" and she "Oh wow, your English is so good"
I hadn't the heart to tell her it was our first language so I would hope so. I'm still not sure where she really thought we were from !

Quote:
Originally posted by waterlilybarb at 6-8-2008 20:18  

p.s.  That's too funny Shinny!  I wonder where she thought you were from?  I can't imagine she was so stupid as to think that people in Ireland don't speak English - there are plenty of Irish people in the States.
I dunno Barb, maybe she thought the same as Paris Hilton that all "Europeans" speak French

Reply 253#253 funny-girl101's post

Oh that is hilarious. The face on Nathan when she said "I thought Europe was a Country" Very funny.

The Idaho thing was because she mis-heard me saying Ireland. We know were it is & so does she (I think ).
I was saying that after I thought she understood where Ireland was she said that we spoke great English, so I can only assume she either thought Ireland was somewhere else or we don't speak English here !

Reply 261#261 commando's post

Haha, yeh I've seen this video before.

I work with American's every day and I know this is not a true reflection of them all. However, I have met a few spacers in my travels state side !

Reply 264#264 waterlilybarb's post

Lol, that's very funny Barb.

I once had a guy I deal with in London ask me if we were on the same time zone as the UK. When I said, of course we are, he said that he thought we were ahead by an hour. So, even if by some bizarre chance we were on a different time zone, we are west of London and would therefore be behind them !

Reply 266#266 RyanB1's post

Lol Ryan, I take it your wife is not American then?!

Loving that wireless box !

The Rolly Mp3 gadget is a bit silly. I wouldn't be into it. I'd imagine teenagers would love that.

Reply 322#322 bala's post

I was watching the Ireland game. We was robbed I tell ya   (well, it was a draw but it should have been more for Ireland!)

Reply 324#324 magic4u's post

It depends, is it an American Football ball or a Rugby ball or even an Aussie Rules Football (they all use funny balls )

I could see myself disconnecting the sound to that Rockin bowl-o-rama game !!!

The one that caught my eye was the digital watch. That has lots of potential.

Reply 340#340 bala's post

I saw it, still prefer the digital watch.

Reply 361#361 bala's post

Well done Bala !!

Reply 394#394 mikecott's post

Mike, what kind of operating system do you have? Is it Mac or Windows? Have you tried shutting down and restarting your computer? If you haven't an old session of Firefox probably is hanging in the background.

That's very unusual. What I would recommend is to do a clean uninstall of firefox (so uninstall it and then remove any folders related to it that didn't remove when you uninstalled) and then reinstall it again.

It may be containing a corrupt parameter which is preventing you from opening it, so the clean uninstall should hopefully resolve that.

Reply 398#398 mikecott's post

The clean uninstall didn't work?

I-Phones are so easy to use to be fair. Although, I'm considered the "Technical" minded one in my family and that's no mean feat as I have 4 brothers!

Reply 469#469 casper27's post

I've not had a hangover for quite some time, to be fair but what I used to do was drink a little sachet of electrolytes (you'd get them in the chemist for about 50p/70c probably) the next morning. As they rehydrate you and the hangover subsides.

But, my favourite would have to be a Full Irish Brekkie, haha! Soakage as we use to call it. Lol!! I've tried the hair of the dog before too Craig, but the hangover eventually catches up with you, lol!!

I love new technology and taking it to the next level, but I also think this will fizzle out. I don't think you can compare it to colour TV as that only enhanced the quality of the picture, in a normal way. 3D is adding an "effect" and whilst some love the novelty of seeing a new movie in 3D, I can't imagine them wanting to Watch Corrie or the like in 3D and we all know TV shows are the bread and butter of TV.

Yup, 2am the clocks go back. An extra hour in bed

I blame the farmers! We've really no need these days to be changing the time at.

Thread