24 12
Thread
Printable Version

The Closer Season 1-7 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I finished the season.  I watched Overkill and the next night the 2 part Serving the King.  Awesome run of shows.  When I think back to the beginning and how much her staff disliked her and now she has their respect.  Wow.  I hope more of her past is explained in the future.  I find that there is some confusing in Brenda's beliefs.  She does not agree with the way the CIA deals out justice and yet in the episode Good Housekeeping she manoeuvered the perpetrator into the hands of the mexican justice system, a contradictory belief?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."  Adam Savage

The Closer - Season 3 discussion (possible spoilers)

Please feel free to discuss any episodes of Season 3 here. Be sure to make a reference to which episode you are talking about.  (Thanks Shinny)

Episode 3x1 Homewrecker

As per usual, I really enjoyed this episode.

Excellent idea of piling up the costs in an effort to get Pope to change his mind about cutting a person from the team.  Shame it did not work.  

Shame on Brenda for letting Gabriel off to transfer so she would not have to take a decision.  Part of her job is administration and she truly sucks at that.  

Brenda also needs to commit in her private life, probably her upbringing.  Fritz sure is smart.  He knows how to win an argument.  

I'd move for Fritz.

Reply 4#4 bala's post

So what you are saying is that her greater good is better than the greater good of the CIA?

Episode 3x2 Grave Doubts

The LA Riots are always a touchy subject to bring up in a tv show.   Brenda did not let it stop her.   I hope she can repair her relationship with Gabriel.  

I can't wait to meet Brenda's father.  I don't think she deserves Fritz.  She always seems to be apologizing to him.

Episode 3x3 Saving Face

Man I am so addicted.  

I really like this episode.  Reminds me of the keystone cops.  Det. Lt. Provenza and Det. Andy Flynn are at it again.  Showing poor judgement... again

Episode 3x4 Ruby

I really hate shows about children.    It was nice that Provenza was once again comic relief.  I did not care much for Brenda in this episode.

Episode 3x5 The Round File

I have seen this storyline on another series.  Can't quite remember which one.  Anyone else have an idea?

Reply 6#6 redsoxpatriot30's post

Yep ... sometimes 2 a night.  I have been ignoring Grey's Anatomy (although I am almost finished it as well).  I may go back and watch The Closer from the beginning again.

Episode 3x6 Dumb Luck

My favorite part of this episode was Provenza.  He does a great imitation of Brenda.  

I loved the end when Brenda gave the doctor a magazine and told him to wait.  I would love to be able to go to the doctor and after waiting 45 minutes charge the doctor for my time.

Episode 3x7 - Four to Eight

My favorite scene - Brenda questioning the rival gangs and managed to get them talking

Episode 3x8 - Manhunt

Wow that was the most suspenseful episode so far.  A real nail biter at the end.  I was not surprised by the diagnosis of menopause, it will be interesting to see if the cause is some other health issue.  It is nice to see her team trying to be understanding as they can tell there is something wrong.8

[ Last edited by munch at 4-26-2008 22:22 ]

Episode 3x9 - Blindsided

The tone of the episodes have changed slightly.  I think this one is my favorite so far.  I love Provenza.  And I really like Brenda's dad

I think Gabriel was surprised by Brenda's hug and sentiment but I thought it was so her and in the elevator when she called Gabriel her friend - super.

[ Last edited by munch at 4-26-2008 22:22 ]

Episode 3x10 - Culture Shock

Interestingly enough this episode did not hold my attention, kinda disappointing.  Brenda's parents might drive a wedge between Brenda and Fritz.

Reply 16#16 shinny's post

I see what you mean about Gabriel but I still think that Brenda is so good at what she does that everything else (manners, administration...) takes a backseat.  It is part of the charm of the show.

Episode 3x11 - Lovers Leap

Poor Brenda ... surgery, no chocolate and poison oak

I just loved the way she plays cat and mouse with the FBI.  Fritz should look out, Brenda is one smart cookie.   I worry about Brenda and Pope, I hope she remembers what a sorry excuse for a man he is.  I would not want her to ditch Fritz for Pope.  I have noticed on a couple of episodes that she looks like she misses Pope.

Has anyone else noticed how sculpted her upper arms are?  She must work out quite a lot.

Reply 19#19 shinny's post

As I have said, I hope Brenda does not throw Fritz over for Pope.

As for the "early on-set menopause"  the moods go both ways

Episode 3x12 & 3x13 - Til Death Do Us Part

Wow.  wow wow.  This episode speaks to a moral dilemma.  Should Fritz have told Brenda?  Did she have the right to know?  It seems to me that it may not be the thing to bring up to early in a relationship but definitely at some point.  Brenda probably should have figured it out.  If the person you are with doesn't drink, you'd think that at some point you would ask why?  As for the DUI, I think he should have told her.  Better to come clean than to be found out.

Reply 23#23 shinny's post

This was a sad episode, although Grady does not know his brother died.  I think Provenza lost some respect for Brenda on this case.  She also may have done damage to her relationship with Fritz.  

I think she is lucky to have parents who love her so much and are willing to overlook her less desirable traits.

Episode 1x01

I just watched the pilot again.  This is easily one of my favorite series.

The series begins with the death of a woman in Dr. Collier's (phd not md) home.  The police are unable to find Dr. Collier.  Dr. Collier's fingerprints are nowhere to be found but the dead woman's fingerprints are everywhere.  Ellen the secretary becomes the prime suspect when Brenda realizes that Elliot Collier was actually Alana Devon (a wanted felon).  Ellen killed Alana because she was in love with Collier and was angry that her lover was a woman and that she is not a lesbian.  

Enter Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson, CIA trained interrogator  with a reputation for getting confessions that lead directly to convictions.  She comes on strong and is not out to make friends.  She quickly shows her knowledge of police procedure (garage requires search warrant).  

The squad is introduced in this episode :  Detective Tao is verbose.   Provenza is old school and politically incorrect.  Sgt. Gabriel is the goody, always pleases everybody.

The entire murder squad requests to transfer back to robbery homicide.  Captain Taylor is not supportive, he is actually destructive to Brenda's leadership.

Brenda is effective at her job... she finds the weak spot and exerts pressure until her quarry buckles.

Her authority is in question and when she pushes her authority she comes off as the bad guy.

She has Will pegged. Will playing both sides of the fence - on Taylors side when he is with Taylor and on Brenda's side with he is with Brenda.

Brenda's drink  ... Merlot.

Interesting Quotes:
"Oh I never bluff, Sargeant Gabriel, I just express my optimism forcefully."  Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson

"I am, I am not a lesbian, I am a good catholic girl and I have tried to be one every day of my life."  Ellen

"Thank you, thank you very much."
  Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson

24 12
Thread