Thread
Printable Version

The Closer Season 1-7 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

2x10 "The Other Woman"

This was an enlightening episode. I think it's always been obvious that Pope still have feelings for Brenda, but this was the first time that Brenda had some realisation of that too. It will be an interesting next few episodes......

2x12 "No Good Dead"

Nobody saw that coming, lol. Pope's wife coming into the office and letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak. Brenda was so afraid of this getting out, because she thought she'd lose the respect of her team. In the end, she didn't. It didn't really matter.

2x13 "Overkill"
This was quite a dramatic episode. I loved to see the softer side of Brenda. She was so distraught when Kitty went missing and so relieved when she came back. I felt sorry for Prevenza. He was soft with the old mob guy and it nearly ended up costing him his life. Just as well Sanchez didn't let his guard down at all.

Reply 5#5 munch's post

Well it really up brenda0i think she doesn't like anyone trying force her out of her investigation-CIA were trying take over brenda case and she didn't like that so think way to show not to mess with her

Episode 3x10 - Culture Shock

Interestingly enough this episode did not hold my attention, kinda disappointing.  Brenda's parents might drive a wedge between Brenda and Fritz.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."  Adam Savage

Reply 2#2 munch's post

So I'm finally on Season 3.

3x01

I agree, that was a bit of a shocker when we thought she might lose someone from her team. I think Gabriel's plan was really good. Not sure I agree with you Munch about shame on Brenda for thinking of letting Gabriel go. The commander said to her that she already had 3 Lieutenants in her department and what chance does Gabriel have there of making the Lieutenant rank. She said it to Gabriel in a way that she wanted him to decide if it was a better move for him. I think she was really caught in a hard spot. She didn't want to flat out not let him go, because then he might never get the chance at a promotion.

Is it just me or is Fritz getting better and better looking each episode? I think he looks great and he's a great guy. Brenda is slowly starting to trust him.....

Reply 16#16 shinny's post

I see what you mean about Gabriel but I still think that Brenda is so good at what she does that everything else (manners, administration...) takes a backseat.  It is part of the charm of the show.

Episode 3x11 - Lovers Leap

Poor Brenda ... surgery, no chocolate and poison oak

I just loved the way she plays cat and mouse with the FBI.  Fritz should look out, Brenda is one smart cookie.   I worry about Brenda and Pope, I hope she remembers what a sorry excuse for a man he is.  I would not want her to ditch Fritz for Pope.  I have noticed on a couple of episodes that she looks like she misses Pope.

Has anyone else noticed how sculpted her upper arms are?  She must work out quite a lot.

Reply 14#14 munch's post

Episode 3x9 - Blindsided

Me too. I loved this episode. I agree, the hug with Gabriel was really nice and showed Brenda's more emotional side, but that might be to do with "early on-set menopause"

I thought the comedic value in this episode was great. The two SWAT guys protecting Brenda were so cute !!

And what about Pope's reaction when he thought Brenda was hurt? The man clearly has strong feelings for our Brenda.

Reply 19#19 shinny's post

As I have said, I hope Brenda does not throw Fritz over for Pope.

As for the "early on-set menopause"  the moods go both ways

Episode 3x12 & 3x13 - Til Death Do Us Part

Wow.  wow wow.  This episode speaks to a moral dilemma.  Should Fritz have told Brenda?  Did she have the right to know?  It seems to me that it may not be the thing to bring up to early in a relationship but definitely at some point.  Brenda probably should have figured it out.  If the person you are with doesn't drink, you'd think that at some point you would ask why?  As for the DUI, I think he should have told her.  Better to come clean than to be found out.

Reply 21#21 munch's post

Yes, it's certainly a dilemma alright. I guess you do need to tell the person eventually, but too early in the relationship and it will cause uncertainty and perhaps be the death of it. So, yeh, I think you do need to hold back.

I'm not sure she should have figured it out. Some people don't drink because they don't like it, not because they are an alcoholic. My Mam doesn't drink. She hates the taste of it. She tried it when she was about 16/17 and decided it wasn't for her. Also, remember that Fritz told her he was "allergic" to drink, which is plausible.

I thought this was a great episode. It really demonstrated how well the team work together and how much the admire and respect each other. We also learned that Flynn has been in AA for 10 years, that was new.

Didn't the narrator say the Season Finale at the start of episode 13, but there are two more? What's going on there?!!

3x14 & 3x15 Next of Kin Part 1 & 2

These were sad episodes. It was one time that Brenda's tactics didn't really pay off. I felt sorry for her when she was kneeling over Wesley's body, but I think it was fairly obvious that he was going to die.

Poor Grady, at least he thought his brother died being a hero, so that's good and that Brenda's folks were looking out for him.

I loved the scenes with Brenda and her parents, Wesley made her realise how lucky she was to have them. Plus the comedy act with Provenza and Flynn on the RV.

Reply 23#23 shinny's post

This was a sad episode, although Grady does not know his brother died.  I think Provenza lost some respect for Brenda on this case.  She also may have done damage to her relationship with Fritz.  

I think she is lucky to have parents who love her so much and are willing to overlook her less desirable traits.

Ok, I'm new to the show, currently at the fifth episode and totally hooked already.

Episode 1x01

I just watched the pilot again.  This is easily one of my favorite series.

The series begins with the death of a woman in Dr. Collier's (phd not md) home.  The police are unable to find Dr. Collier.  Dr. Collier's fingerprints are nowhere to be found but the dead woman's fingerprints are everywhere.  Ellen the secretary becomes the prime suspect when Brenda realizes that Elliot Collier was actually Alana Devon (a wanted felon).  Ellen killed Alana because she was in love with Collier and was angry that her lover was a woman and that she is not a lesbian.  

Enter Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson, CIA trained interrogator  with a reputation for getting confessions that lead directly to convictions.  She comes on strong and is not out to make friends.  She quickly shows her knowledge of police procedure (garage requires search warrant).  

The squad is introduced in this episode :  Detective Tao is verbose.   Provenza is old school and politically incorrect.  Sgt. Gabriel is the goody, always pleases everybody.

The entire murder squad requests to transfer back to robbery homicide.  Captain Taylor is not supportive, he is actually destructive to Brenda's leadership.

Brenda is effective at her job... she finds the weak spot and exerts pressure until her quarry buckles.

Her authority is in question and when she pushes her authority she comes off as the bad guy.

She has Will pegged. Will playing both sides of the fence - on Taylors side when he is with Taylor and on Brenda's side with he is with Brenda.

Brenda's drink  ... Merlot.

Interesting Quotes:
"Oh I never bluff, Sargeant Gabriel, I just express my optimism forcefully."  Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson

"I am, I am not a lesbian, I am a good catholic girl and I have tried to be one every day of my life."  Ellen

"Thank you, thank you very much."
  Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson

The twist to the identity of the victim - really amazing.

The Closer - Season 4 discussion (possible spoilers)

Season 4 is finally here and we can begin to discuss it. Please post your comments on this thread and feel free to tell us what you think about each episode !

Reply 1#1 shinny's post

thank you-well this was fantastic episode i liked how Brenda dealt with the arsonist i mean it was obvious when brad kern -i have not seen him since charmed. i like the ending with candles that was scary but she handle it well-i hope he will be back in future . The fire story-line was good, i don't like reporter he's going make Brenda life a misery

Great storylines, great acting, great characters ah.....am so happy The Closer is back !!

Great first episode. I agree Bala, it was obvious he was the arsonist !! I

I hope they keep bringing Bill Croelick back into it. I think the scenes between him and Brenda are pure magic. He really gets under her skin and she hates that he can. You can be sure she will catch him out in the end, but I want that to be later rather than sooner. I didn't realise the actor who plays him (Jason O'Mara) is actually Irish. I never even suspected it and I've seen him in Men in Trees before. Great American voice !

Episode 2 comment

Well there was not much to say about this episode but seeing two middle age woman having a brawl was funniest but it was nice of brenda to sleep on floor next her guy-that shows some nice thought.

Thread