Thread
Printable Version

Stargate SG-1 Season 1-10 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I saw the film years ago and thought it was ok but im not the biggest kurt russel fan anyway. The series was a huge improvment on the film. Even without the big budget effect the first series had compared to the later series.
RDA is supurb as o'Neill, no one can use sarcasim like Jack.
I love they way the show pokes fun at itself from time to time and it often refers to other shows which is not usually done (bar cartoons).  Like the way Jack occasionally mentions his love for the simpsons or the episode Jack and Teal'c get stuck in a tme loop ala groundhog day, and Jack blatently refers to being stuck in groundhog day. Even when Sam says to jack that she Macguyvered something together in one episode. (To be honest i cant remember which episode it was but i know i saw it and im certain it wasnt some out-take)
That reminds me have you seen this  SG1 out take on youtube - you may have seen it before but its class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3L-JYzk&feature=related

Oh yeah I AM IN THE RACE.....
Recent Ratings

Quote:
Originally posted by ms.smith at 11-28-2007 18:18  
WEll, since I know absolutely nothing, I may as well ask a question.

SG 1 = Stargate. And that's kind of the mother. Stargate Atlantis then was a spin-off, right? Where there other spin-offs? Like wi ...
Right so i will see if i can explain, firstly i am not an expert on this so i will bow to another more educated reply.
Stargate the series was brought out after the success of Stargate- The movie, so i suppose the series was a spin off from the movie. The series follows the events after where the movie left off.
After a few years and because of the popularity of the Stargate series, Stargate Atlantis was brought out as a spin off series from Stargate (SG1). The time lines of both SG1 and Atlantis ran parallel and sometimes ientertwined.

Star Trek is somewhat similar but different in ways. As far as i know, the original Star Trek was a stand alone show which ran in its own timeline. Star Trek- The next generation also began as a stand alone show which i wouldnt consider a spin off as it is based something like 200 years after the original Star Trek. It was a continuation of a theme but a new story.
Now Star Trek - The next generation series became popular and inspired two other spin off shows. Star Trek - Deep Space 9 & Star Trek - Voyager where all three ran more or less in the same timeline and often intertwined. Then came Star Trek - Enterprise which is based on a timeline before the original Star Trek So therefore wasnt a spin off IMHO.
But this all comes down to what a spin off is, i think its a story that runs parallel with the timeline of the original show. New shows are often created on the popularity of the original but i wouldnt deem them direct spin off shows.

So in surmizing.... Atlantis is a spin off show off Stargate which is a spin off series from the movie Stargate....ehhh crystal clear??

I could be wrong about the Star Trek thing cos im not a big fan of Star Trek but i think thats right.
Stargate would kick Star Treks ass anyway... so there.... fight fight fight..

Oh Oh its so so so on......
Teal'c would kick the living daylights out of Worf
Sam would outsmart Data with her ingenious outside the box thinking

Ok Ok lets not get into this it could all end in tears (more than likely me doing the crying)
My knowledge of  Trek is not the best so i dont have many specific examples so i would probably loose this argument.
I still stand by me calling them spin offs, sequels & prequels are different parts of the same story while a spin off is a different story in the context of the others e.g. DS9 & Voyager. I aint budging on this one and i dont care if im wrong, ignorance is bliss and im happy with it.
I aint going to comment on timetravel and especially paradoxes, i am taking the Janeway/O'Neill attitude on that one and not going to reply...
Nah i wasnt and still aint respecting Star Trek. Its a good show but I never really got into it.
Oh and yes, you do watch too much TV...... (cant keep a straight face typing that, there is no such thing as too much TV)
I declare a truce between SG and ST (for now)

Thread