Thread
Printable Version

Gossip Girl Season 1-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Oops, forgot this thread was here and started a new one for the latest episode, will change the focus of my thread so I'm not doubling up!

I'm not sure that Dan's morals have gone out the window. I think he is falling in love with Serena and when you love someone, you sometimes have to change your opinions to accomodate new feelings. I don't believe he'd do anything with Serena if it didn't feel right to him, therefore his conscience would be clear. I think that the stuff with them in this episode was really sweet.

Blair has had a really rough time and has made some very bad decisions, I really hope that as the show progresses we see more depth to her. I think it's there, she acts the 'bitch' very well but I can't help feeling that there's more to her than that, she is human after all. I think she likes having some kind of control over other people, like Jenny, as she doesn't really have control of many other things in her life.

The episode was all about sex though, and a little disappointing as a result.

[ Last edited by  meljones_83 at 11-7-2007 19:14 ]
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

Reply #14 bala's post

Yeah, you may well be right, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I suppose my point was really that it's unfair to judge that his morals have gone out the window based on his relationship with Serena, whether he's falling for her or not. The subject of morals is more complicated, I don't believe it's so black and white.

That's something only a guy can say and get away with! Just remember you said it, not me!

(As for the morals debate, I think when you're still young you have the right to alter your views based on experiences as long as you don't do anything completely against your morals or that would hurt other people. Much of our moral values come from our parents and that's going to change when you get older and start seeing the world for yourself. Dan and Serena are still only young. Sorry if I'm going on but this is an issue that I feel pretty strongly about! I'm not trying to say that you are wrong, just giving my opinion on it all.)

[ Last edited by  meljones_83 at 11-7-2007 21:18 ]

I'm not sure, I initially thought that she'll be upset when she thinks about it and realises what she's just done and in a way, I hope that is what happens. Then I thought maybe she'll use Chuck to make Nate see what he's just lost - he slept with her best friend and she's got even. I think Nate probably has bigger things to think about though. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out, it might depend on Chuck's reaction - will he want to stick with her for a while or will it ust be another 'notch' for him? Again, I think it could go either way.

Well, if anyone on the show could get away with that it was Blair, she's gorgeous and very sexy, she had all the moves.

Ok I've just seen the new episode and agree with a lot of what other people have said - about alison, the comparison and about Nate's mom.

I also wanted to add that I feel really sorry for Blair. I posted in another thread that I think her mom is very controlling with regard to the clothes Blair wears and I think that this shows that she is controlling Blair in other ways too. I'm not saying she is completely wrong and I can see her point at the end of why she didn't tell Blair what was going on but Blair is a big girl who should be able to make her own mind up about things. Her mother seems to be stifling and controlling her - which could be part of the reason for Blair's eating problem, I have seen this happen because someone feels it is one part of their life that they do have control over. I am looking forward to seeing how this storyline develops. It's quite serious to bring into a show that is quite frivolous generally when they have already had the very serious story of Eric's attempted suicide. I'm impressed with the writing so far so I'm sure it will be dealt with sensitively.

I also think that this episode really shows how strong the friendship between Blair and Serena is. I think they were both in the wrong at the beginning, Serena shouldn't have judged Blair for her relationship with Chuck, especially as Blair and Nate had broken up, as she slept with Nate while he was with Blair. Equally I think Blair needs to let that go. Serena said she wasn't staying for thanksgiving and Blair said she was uninvited so they were both to blame for that and they were being petty. However, when Blair had a problem, Serena was the person she turned to, she wasn't too proud to call on Serena and Serena came to help showing true friendship, there's hope for the two of them yet!!

I'm in the race.

I have just watched #11, #12 and #13 to catch up, this is the first time I have watched anything for ages. Still loving gossip girl!
I actually feel sorry for Blair, although I think she deserved to be taken off her 'high horse' a bit,  don't think she deserved to be brought crashing down with such a thud! I still dislike Nate and I think he's a hypocrite, although I understand him being upset and angry, I don't think he has any room to judge!
Also really still dislike Chuck - bang goes my theory that he actually liked Blair, then again, maybe he's too proud to admit it after knowing that she was only coming to him as a last resort.
Jenny is verging on being unlikeable, I hope she remembers who she really is before going too far down that road.
As for Rufus and Lily, I don't understand why they couldn't be together as well as Serena and Dan. It's not like Rufus and Lily were talking marriage and even if they did, Dan and Serena aren't really related so it wouldn't be incest. Does anyone know the law on this in the US? I'm sure I read somewhere that in the UK they can't stop step brothers and sisters having a relationship for the very reason that it wouldn't be fair if they had gotten together before their parents. I think that someone suggested making it a law but it never got anywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Yeah, I can see that it could be a little odd, but I don't think it's fair that one couple who really like each other can't be together because of it.
If the relationships are not strong enough then they wouldn't have survived anyway and if they are strong enough then something like that wouldn't get in the way. I'd say that it'd be fine for Rufus and Lily to date, just not to go moving the two families in together - they would have to wait until the kids had left home before living together.

I just watched the new episode and I really really hope Jenny gets taken down somehow! She's been horrible, and I've always liked Blair so I'm hoping she wins this battle!

Once I had figured out what order this episode should be in I thought it was a pretty good one! I love gossip girl and it doesn't look like the new season is going to disappoint. So here are my opinions on episode 1:

I do agree with Chuck that he and Blair belong together but am unsurprised that he couldn't say those three little words! Let's hope he realises they are true before it's too late as Blair clearly feels strongly for him. I never liked Nate so the married woman thing is of little consequence to me and I'm glad that Serena and Dan have got themselves sorted - however brief it may be! Hoping that Jenny has turned a corner and has given up the Blair-like ways which never really suited her anyway. In this episode I was rooting for her which didn't happen last season!
Now just waiting to see what will happen when Rufus and Lily are reaquainted!

I'm interested to see where Chuck is going with his scheming. He obviously has a master plan but I guess it may be a while before we discover what it is!

Thread