Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Reply 3321#3321 cshapiro's post

Thanks!! I'm trying to take it easy and not over do it. I haven't much choice as my left lung is still quite sore so any over excertion makes it worse. I was feeling better today, but this evening it seems to have come back with a vengence. It always seems to get worse at night! I think a couple of more days and I should be ok.

Hey all,

Studio, are you working every morning or just some? My sister in law went back to work after being away for about 6 years. Their eldest started "big" school last September and then the twins (4 years old) started play school. They'll start big school when they are 5 this year. She works 9 to 1 most days and I think one full day. I think she needed to for her sanity! She's a legal PA and got a job about 5 minutes from where the boys go to School so it's so handy!

Barb, at least the elimination diet found something albeit not related to what is triggering your migraine.  Good to hear Chicken is back on the menu. Like I said before, I really am not a big fan of Turkey!!

I'm very tired this morning. I went to bed too late last night (bold me!!) and then was up way to early to be in the office for 7am. I only had about 5 hrs sleep and I definitely need my full 8 hrs!! An early night for me tonight as i'm going to a friend's Wedding tomorrow. Irish wedding's are long The church part is the fastest part though!

Irish Weddings

Generally speaking they are looonnggg but there are always exceptions to that. The first half of the day begins in the Church and ceremony will generally start about 1pm to 2pm and go on for about 1.5-2 hrs (every guest congratulates the couple on the way out of the church which can take for ever)

Then everyone will head back to the hotel while the couple go and get their pictures taken. So for about 2-3 hrs people just hang out and chat, have some drinks and something small to eat. Yesterday we had a string quartet to listen to while we waited. Then at about 6pm we have dinner which can be anything from 3 to 5 courses. The wedding I was at yesterday was 5 courses as it was a 5 star hotel. Then we have the speeches which go on from anything from 30 minutes to 90 minutes. The band generally come on then and we have the couples first dance, after a while the couple will cut the cake which will be given out later when the second lot of food is served (generally about 11pm and finger food) - The band will play until about 12.30am and then the DJ will come on. Usually the DJ will finish up around 2-2.30pm and everyone will make their way to the Residents Bar where a sing song will generally kick off. Depending on your stamina you could be here until 6am! We managed to get to bed a little earlier than that at 4am!! Usually if it's a family wedding the family stay down the next day and spend the day together. As this was a friends wedding we stayed until about 1pm and then we set off home. I didn't manage to get home until about 7pm that evening as I was with my girlfriends and we decided to go for a late lunch and then some shopping.

Phew, I was tired even just writing that!!

Edit: I should just clarify that although they are long, I love them. I never get bored as there is always something happening!!

[ Last edited by shinny at 1-31-2010 23:37 ]

Reply 3343#3343 waterlilybarb's post

What kind of a heater is it Barb? Like a radiator?

Reply 3346#3346 waterlilybarb's post

That's a pain. We really only have radiators here but some older houses would have storage heaters which are awful. I have gas heating which is great. It's piped into the house and I have a central boiler. That heats all the radiators in the house and the water, but I also have an immersion for heating the water faster (electrical). I have an open gas fire in my living room too.

Civil ceremonies would be much shorter for sure. I agree about different cultures and how they celebrate the day. My brother's wedding in Australia was very similar to an Irish wedding except they do the format of things a little different and it ended really early by Irish standards. I think like at 12am everyone was ready to go home and we were like, huh!? Funny.

That is a lot of chocolate!! I liked chocolate but it didn't like me. I haven't eaten a piece of chocolate in about 7 months! I just cut it out as I was having too many bad reactions to it. I don't miss it now and actually feel better for not having it. I never really ate much of it anyway, but even a little bit was enough sometimes!

Hey Meg, I'm good thanks. How are you? Exciting, well I'm off to New York next week for a few days which I'm very pleased about since my NYE plans fell through. It was St Patrick's day yesterday so we did a little celebrating here (dinner and the parade). That's about it for me. Anything happening with you?

Hey Barb, yeh I've been checking the 10 day weather forecast the past few days!! I see it was beautiful there for Paddy's Day. It looks like we might have a shower here and there but that's ok as long as the bulk of it is dry!!!

Wow, that's a lot to be intolerant too. I wonder, over a period of time, if you are excluding them will that eventually have an impact on your migraines?

Barb, that's really nice. I love unexpected surprises like that

Hey all, just a quick message to say hello. I've been missing and not just on my visit to New York. As most of the moderators know I ended up having an emergency appendectomy while in New York. I was extremely lucky as it was perforated and leaking. This has been an ongoing issue for me since last year so I'm happy it's finally over. I was so well looked after by the staff of NYU Medical Centre. I couldn't really have asked for better, but I still wish I'd been at home when it happened. I had to fly 3 days after my surgery. But just going on nice things like Barb mentioned above. I was upgraded to Business Class by Aer Lingus which meant I was able to lie back and sleep my way home. I had to get up a few times to walk around as my risk of blood clots was higher having just had surgery. I hardly remember the flight, but it was one of the hardest things I've had to do. I just wanted to be in my own bed!

It's been a week since the surgery and I'm feeling so much better. It's hard to believe I ever felt that bad, but the appendix was leaking poison into my system and it's why I felt so bad. My temperature was 103.2 on two occasions before I had the appendix out and I surely felt that!

Reply 3398#3398 bala's post

Thanks Bala, I don't know how I missed the last couple of posts here.

Reply 3399#3399 waterlilybarb's post

I know Barb, it really was great. I don't really remember too much of the flight but I remember being able to sleep which helped a lot!!

Reply 3400#3400 penny3760's post

Hey Penny

Reply 3405#3405 rickman's post

Thanks Rickman, I was very lucky they removed it when they did. It was a ticking time bomb! Just happy to have it all over with now.

Reply 3407#3407 themegababe's post

Thanks Meg, am all good now

Appendicitis has hit my family again. My sis in law's appendix burst last night and she had to have an emergency operation. She's ok, looks like they got it in time. My younger brother wanted to know if we would be starting a club! It was 5 weeks ago I had mine. Unfortunately for her they had to open her the old way so it will take longer to recover from that.

Reply 3417#3417 waterlilybarb's post

She's in good spirits Barb. We went to visit her this afternoon. She's very sore as they had to cut her differently to the old way; straight down from the naval, because of how the poison had gathered. With me they contained it and put the tube in to take it out, but I think her's had started to spread and they had to flush it out there and then. I was really lucky they still did me laparoscopically really. What are the chances of both of us having a perforated appendix so close together!

Reply 3419#3419 waterlilybarb's post

Yeh, I surely know about that!!

You're right, her recovery time will be a lot longer. She and my brother were planning on starting a family soon (they just got married last August) and they think she may not be able to have a C section now because of how she was cut, but it all depends on how she heals. She's a super fit girl to be honest, so I think she'll be fine. In fact, she was playing a Camogie match (Irish game) on Friday and she had started to get a niggling pain in her tummy which she ignored as there was a tummy bug doing the rounds so she put it down to that

Reply 3421#3421 nye87's post

Hey Jannah, good to hear from you.

New York, well I ended up spending my vacation time in NYU Medical Centre. My Appendix perforated when we were there, so that was a fun time (not!) lol.
Yes, that was my Dad who stood on the rat. We are still slagging him over that. I should have known things would go down hill after that!!

That's brilliant that you got to see 30 seconds to Mars. They are a pretty great band alright. I used to love Jared Leto when I was in school. I can't believe he's 38, he looks so much younger.

I know, I saw clips of The Back up plan. It's out here this Friday and I can't wait. Alex looks so cute in it. It's funny that you mentioned it because I was about to write that on your facebook wall. Funny how we both still love Alex

It was great to hear from you, hope you are keeping well.

Reply 3456#3456 waterlilybarb's post

Ahhh, I'm sure you are fit to be tied. I can't imagine how you manage to cope with having a pounding head day in day out!!

I think you are right on the money there Barb about research !!

Hope you feel better soon

I've been meeting myself coming backwards (as they say) this past few weeks- Just been so busy with work and other things going on but the one nice thing to happen this week is that I found out I'm going to be an Auntie again!!! My sister is 3 months pregnant with her second child. They're going to have a scan around 20 weeks and find out the babies sex. They found out about my nephew too and I know if I were to have a child, I'd also find out. My sister told my nephew 5 weeks ago when she first found out and told him it was a secret, so he never uttered a word to any of us. I'm so impressed with him, he's only 6, to be able to keep that secret. The funniest thing was my sister was saying that after she told him, that night his Dad was saying to him "Mammy told me the big secret, isn't that great news?" and he denied all knowledge of any "secret" until my sister told him that Daddy did know the secret too. I found it hilarious that he thought she wouldn't have told her husband and that he wasn't spilling any of it until his Mammy confirmed he knew, lol!!!

Reply 3458#3458 waterlilybarb's post

Wow, that just sounds like a comedy of errors Barb. Imagine losing cheques like that, tisk tisk!  

That will be great that you'll have them closer by Barb. When you say nearer though, how near is that!!?

Thread