Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Reply 3707#3707 shinny's post

I probably had spread it somewhere between the two, but even the smell put me off.   Too bad I couldn't gag it down - B vitamins are so good for the nervous system, and I tend to not get enough sodium, so have to consciously remember to increase my sodium intake so my blood pressure doesn't get too low.

Interestingly, on one of the GF blogs I subscribe to, they have a thread asking if members are of Irish heritage and/or red hair.  Lucky me -  I have both.  I remember you speaking of the high incidence of Celiac in Ireland.  I'm grateful not to have that, as the wheat intolerance is inconvenient enough.  The dairy intolerance & egg allergy certainly don't help in finding prepackaged foods.  I accidentally ate some wheat yesterday (I hadn't read the box properly - it said "may contain wheat"), and I paid for it.  Thankfully, I looked up some info & it said to eat something with high protein, and it did help.

Bala - It does suck.  On the couple occasions I've had to go to hospital, the best they could do was rehydrate me and send me home (that's when it's been a virus).  My immune system just doesn't work properly, so it takes longer to get over any bug I catch.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 3709#3709 bala's post

It's part of the ME, and it's been about 20 years now.  I was quite healthy before that (except for a bout of mono at 16), and was one of the most energetic people around.

Reply 3711#3711 shinny's post

I think I remember that's when we were chatting about it.  I'm so glad for you that it turned out to be your appendix (but NOT how you discovered that).  

I'm actually making some GF bread right now, as I've almost finished off the 1st loaf I made.  This is a different recipe, so I'm curious as to how it will turn out.  I was able to get some of the different flours last time I went shopping.  Always makes me wish I had a Harold Crick to bring me "flours".   It's a very small scene in the movie "Stranger Than Fiction", but considering my situation, it stuck in my head.

My 2nd attempt at bread making did not go as well as the first.  It's SO heavy - and took FOREVER to cook.  I'll have to figure out what I did wrong, but thank goodness I only planned to eat it as toast, because if I was expecting it to be OK untoasted, I would be very disappointed.  On the positive side, the taste isn't too bad.  Trial & error is the name of the game - so I hear.

Reply 3715#3715 sanggye's post

You're correct - GF bread (and baking in general) is more challenging than regular baking.  When I feel well - or just have a good day - baking is something I enjoy and am good at.  I've not had much practice with yeast bread at all, never mind GF bread, so this is a new adventure.  The baker at the local GF bakery was kind enough to give me a few tips, but she warned me it would be trial & error until I got the hang of it, so I wasn't surprised.  I'm just relieved the loaf I made is at least edible. :)

I actually wish I'd had a few good days in a row so I could do a bunch of cooking & baking to get ahead.  I have a box freezer, which is very handy, and enables me to take advantage of sales on freezable items as well as make things ahead & freeze them in batches.  

Today is a migraine day - which means I'll be offline & in bed most of the day.  Kind of wish I had felt a bit more energetic yesterday, as I have a GF gingersnap recipe I would like to try & a couple of gingersnaps would be nice today since my stomach doesn't feel too great.

Reply 3717#3717 studiojek's post

One of the recipes in my GF cookbook is for a walnut bread.  I'm sure I'll make it eventually, but I need to get a good basic recipe down pat first.  I do eat nuts almost daily as snacks - usually almonds, but I try to change it up so as to get different nutrients.  If I could put the weight where I need it, I'd be set (my face could use some, as it makes people think I'm even thinner than I am).  I'm hoping to start doing some resistance training, just at home, on the days that I can.  Adding muscle is more vital than just putting on weight right now.  It's so hard to even do that with these stupid migraines.   

Glad you're starting to get your energy back.  Fifteen days is a long time to be laid up when you're used to being well, and when you have a child to look after.  My brother is very healthy & he caught a bug last winter which had him sick in bed for a week, then still feeling rough for at least another week.  It's so rare for him to catch anything.  The one good thing that came of it was it gave him a little more empathy for me, since he forgets how hard it can be to do things when you're sick.

Reply 3719#3719 shinny's post

A little something to help you feel better Sinéad.

Reply 3723#3723 shinny's post

I was wishing it was the real thing too.

My friend started taking apple cider vinegar (in water) a while ago for her acid reflux problem.  She's been on meds for quite a while, and hasn't really had much relief.  She was telling me how shocked she was at how much better her gut has been feeling since starting it, so I know it does have medicinal properties.  Funny thing is, she had put off trying it because it sounded counter-intuitive since vinegar is acidic.  It's amazing how folk remedies can really help.  Too many people laugh at them as old fashioned, but if it's not something that's harmful, then why not give it a try?  I don't know exactly how it works in the body. but I hope it gives you some relief too.

A nice fire sounds lovely.  My apartment has electric heat, which is my least favourite, but beggars can't be choosers.  Grateful not to be freezing (especially since I bought a decent space heater).

Reply 3728#3728 shinny's post

Now I REALLY wish the gift basket was real.  Get well soon.

Reply 3734#3734 shinny's post

Natural yogurt with active culture is also effective in keeping the good bacteria at the proper levels.  I always take that or acidophilus when I'm on antibiotics as they tend to cause me to get yeast infections when things get out of balance.  Glad to hear the meds are doing they're job.

OK, on the marmite/vegemite issue.  I am watching Oprah, and she just had her first taste of vegemite.  She really liked it, so I definitely think it's a love or hate thing.  Hugh Jackman DID tell her not to smell it first, which no one warned me.  He also showed her (like Shinny's pics) how much to spread.  I don't think there's a vast difference between the two, and will not be trying it again (unless I get stranded somewhere and that's the only thing to eat ).  Just thought I'd share.

Reply 3738#3738 studiojek's post

BLECH!  I agree whole-heartedly.  What a thought, eh?

Hey gals!  Don't know if you remember the 5 minute chocolate mug cake I posted the recipe to in here a good while back, but I just wanted to say it can be made (and turns out very yummy) with rice flour, (vanilla) soy milk & egg substitute.  I think I actually like it better, but that might just be that I'm getting used to the new ingredients.

Reply 3745#3745 shinny's post

I'll try & remember to snap a pic next time I make it.  I'm beginning to think I should avoid all chocolate too.  I know dark chocolate's out, but have an inkling any isn't good.   

I thought the same thing when the year changed Shinny.  It doesn't seem like it's been that long, and I have a hard time wrapping my head around it too.

Reply 3749#3749 shinny's post

I'm just trying to keep on keeping on.  Frustration levels high today.  My body is rebelling and I haven't been able to walk without the cane for about 3 or 4 days now.  I have stuff I need to do myself.  My friends are awesome & will do errands for me, but some things I have to do myself.  Just tired of it.  Looking foward to having a good day - which will come within a few days.

Reply 3751#3751 shinny's post

Thanks.   It didn't help that my phone has been out intermittantly throughout the day.  I guess there was a big fire not too far from here.  Thankfully there were no injuries, but it was a couple businesses & at least one of them is completely destroyed.

Reply 3753#3753 studiojek's post

Poor little gal!  Hope she's back to full health quickly.

I don't need the cane all the time (thank goodness), but I get hemiplegic migraines sometimes which cause semi-paralysis.  I had one earlier this week, and am still not fully mobile.

As for the bread - my 2nd loaf wasn't as good as the first, but I had some tips as to why from our lovely member serena75.   I need to make some more, so am hoping to feel a little better soon, so I can make some.

Reply 3755#3755 studiojek's post

That's great!  I believe you when you say it's you & your hubby who are wiped out running after her.  Don't you wish you could just bottle some of her energy for yourselves? LOL!

Well, I'm still not feeling too useful, but my sweet friend who was going to bring me shopping today is going to go get me some basics.  I'm out of most everything (including soy or almond milk) that I can just eat or is easy to make and she's used to having to read labels so it's not as challenging for her as it might be for others to do some shopping for me.  I was SO hoping to go myself - even with someone, but I awoke with the migraine tha started yesterday and can't even open my right eye, and I've taken the meds (and they're working as well as can be expected for this kind of migraine).  At least I'll have something to eat in the house.  It's beginning to look as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboards because I cleaned out the pantry of anything past it's use by date (too much - sad to say...I hate having to throw food away) along with the stuff I can't eat anymore.  I was hoping to be able to bring some to the food bank, but the stuff I hadn't eaten I realized was stuff I brought with me when I moved back to Windsor.

Going to be smart and get off the computer now while the meds are still kind of working.

Have a great day everyone!  I'll do my best to have a not too bad of one.

Reply 3759#3759 studiojek's post

I bet the grandparents were delighted to have her to themselves for a bit.

Have a WONDERFUL visit with your friend!  Is she staying with you or just passing through?

We had several days of (to every normal person) absolutely stunningly gorgeous weather.  It was like spring had arrived - it even melted most of the snow.  For me - it was hellish, as the quick change in barometric pressure caused a severe migraine.  Well, it didn't last.  It's snowing as I type this.  Funny thing is, a friend stopped by yesterday morning to pick something up - and bring me a real coffee - and he was wearing shorts.  Only in Canada will people break out the shorts in February while there's still snow piled up & forecast for the next day.   I think the highest it got was in the 50's F. LOL  Definitely not shorts weather.  I DO love my countrymen for having such a positive attitude to a warm(ish) day in winter.   

Reply 3761#3761 studiojek's post

It makes perfect sense.   I'm not a parent, but as I've gotten older I cherish my friendships even more too.  They help me get through the difficulties of life, as well as sharing the good times.

Thread