Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Thought I'd share what's happening around here.  The store downstairs has been leased out and is going to be a candy store.  It looks VERY cool.  Unfortunately, the stench of the paint is about to kill me, but they will be mostly done today.  The proprietor hired some local graffiti artists to do the art work, and it's amazing - though they have to use spray paint for much of their work, which is what's killing me.

Wish I had some pics to share, as the art is beyond description.  I might take a few pics when they painting is done - they even did a cool mural on the garage door in the alley.  If I do take any, I'll share them with you, as it's nothing at all like I was expecting.  I did ask where I could find my "golden ticket", and was assured I would get one.   My nephew will LOVE it when he finally comes to visit - even the ceiling is a mural.  Hopefully the exuberance of the proprietor will breathe some life into this block, as so much has been done in my area just a block or 2 east of here.  He seems to be a good neighbour, and I hope it stays that way.  Good neighbours make for a much easier life.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 3496#3496 bala's post

It was an antique store before, but not a very welcoming one.  The mural on the ceiling is planets, stars & galaxies against midnight blue.  The walls aren't done yet, but apparently wiil have all the bright colours of candy - and look like the cover of the box of a box of Wonka Gobstoppers.  You can google image search it to get an idea if you want.  Since the door to the apartments is right beside the store, he's offered to have the exterior door & wall painted to look like a gingerbread house entrance...the exterior of the store is bright purple with bright pink trim, so it would blend in nicely.

Also, the neighbour next door has already commissioned his store to be painted in historical colours (the buildings around here vary between beautiful Victorian & Edwardian architecture to extremely modern, which makes for an interesting blend).  On the other side, the building has been vacant since I moved in, and it looks like we might get some neighbours - possibly an art school or some other artsy type business.  All in all, it will be great for the neighbourhood.

Reply 3498#3498 nye87's post

Hello Jannah!  Nice to hear from you!

Sounds like life is keeping you busy.  Sorry to hear your Grandmother is ill, but am glad you're taking the opportunity to spend time with her.

I'm alright, all things considered, but am on my way to crawl back into bed.  Hope to see you again soon.

Reply 3503#3503 casper27's post

Nice to see you Craig!   Pleased to hear things are going well - that is a lot of change, but glad to hear you kept your wife...or should I say, she kept you?

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.  You've been missed.

Reply 3506#3506 casper27's post

Just who are you calling an old face?

The gents just aren't as chatty as we are, so that thread just keeps dropping.

Reply 3511#3511 studiojek's post

Coming along.  The work downstairs is slowly getting finished, so hopefully the ruckus will soon be over.  I have some friends coming by this week to help with some unpacking, so am hoping things will finally get somewhat organized.

Good grief!  I can't believe how one little holiday has thrown my week off kilter.  I didn't remember until Monday evening that it was Monday, then yesterday, I went out to do errands, and got home late, but thought it was Monday.  Thankfully, NCIS airs tonight on the Canadian channel, so I can catch it, and I'm loading Caprica right now.  Thanksgiving is not a really big deal in Canada, especially compared to American Thanksgiving, so there aren't as many visual reminders.  It's pretty sad that I've been mixed up for days though as to which day of the week it is.   Certainly helps me have more compassion for elderly ones who deal with such memory issues on a daily basis.

Reply 3515#3515 shinny's post

OOH!  THAT is a slap in the face!  Hope the rest of your week went by more quickly - in a good way.

Ladies (and any fellas that feel like replying):

This will seem odd, but I am curious.  I'm sure most of you have played the game, either as a parent or a child, of "this little piggy went to market" at some time in your life.  My question is, what meal did your 3rd piggy eat?  In the nursery rhymes, it's roast beef.  In my family it was corned beef & cabbage (guess our family background from THAT meal ).  My curiousity arises because I was remembering this today & how my mother was convinced that her version was the correct one. lol  I'm wondering if the meal changes from culture to culture, or if my family is unique...which wouldn't surprise me at all, since my Great Grandmother was a professional actress, and mighty good liar (she would have deemed it putting on a "private" performance) when it suited her purposes.

See my post #3516 for a giggle

MONDAY!  House & Castle are on, I'm so tired, but am hoping I can watch them & then crash for a real night's sleep.  Not a wink last night and on again off again naps today.  Glad to have something I enjoy to watch.

Reply 3518#3518 nye87's post

That's great news Jannah!  I'm delighted for your Grandmother to be cancer free, and that they found out BEFORE doing surgery.

Things are coming along, slowly but surely with the apartment.  Finally got my books unpacked, with a LOT of help from some friends.

Reply 3520#3520 sddvasquez's post

Nice to see you.
I don't mind the changing the words - I do it all the time too when playing with little ones, it makes it more fun.  I just thought it was funny that I had to show my Mum in a book what the original words were.

So folks, is it roast beef for y'all too?

Reply 3523#3523 shinny's post

Those are some great pics SinĂ©ad!   Glad you had a better trip this time - though it wasn't hard to beat the last one. Looks like you had fun doing some real "touristy" things this time too.  It's funny, but I often forget about the "touristy" things around here - some in the Detroit area, and others here on the Canadian side.  When you live with it so close you often forget how many cool places there are right on your doorstep.

p.s.  Please see this post.  I'm still curious if anyone else is as peculiar as my fsmily. lol (I know - EVERY family is peculiar in it's own way.)

Reply 3527#3527 shinny's post

LOL!  OK, so my Mum wasn't mad or making it up.   I REALLY thought she just made it up, because in the US most everyone I've heard says roast beef.  Glad to know we've more imagination than that, plus, roast beef was VERY rarely seen in our house.  A bit too costly, I think.

ARGH!

I'm getting so frustrated!  The shop downstairs isn't open yet, and the music is blaring pretty much every day.  It's sometimes so loud it sounds like there's a live band down there.  The bass is thumping today, which is making my head pound even more.  I want to cry.  It seems pointless to complain anymore, as it just keeps happening, so I'm trying to be patient and hope the work gets done soon.  When I feel this bad it's not like I can go somewhere else to get away from the noise.  I can't even drive when I have a migraine like this.  Guess I'll take my drugs & try and dull the thump enough to tolerate the incessant noise.

Reply 3530#3530 shinny's post

No idea, though I can't imagine it will be TOO much longer.  I know some of the business is online, so the proprietor isn't really losing money by not having the store open yet, but he must be getting anxious to have a grand opening.  It doesn't help that there is STILL no sidewalk from my front door to the corner (which makes a very high step), so he might want all the city work done too, so as not to deter customers.  I want it done because it's a pain in the arse.  The days I have to use a cane are made much more challenging with that high step & all the gravel, which I have to go through to go around back to where my car is parked.  The rest of the block has been completed for weeks, so I really don't know why that small stretch is still torn up - and I've not seen or heard any city workers for a good while.  If I fall & injure myself because of their tardiness, I will sue.  Some of the gravel is very soft (more like dirt, but grey), and I almost fell over the other day.  I'm not a particularly litigious person, but I'm fed up!

For those that put up with my whinging about the stench of the paint and the noise of the workers from the store below, it's open now. They have a FB page and their photo album has some great shots of the interior.  The store is now open, but the decorating continues (along with some painting, but with acrylic this time).  It's called Candy Orbit.  If you're interested, let me know, and I'll either post the link or send it via PM.  For those that really hate FB and would still like to see the pics, let me know & I'll upload them to photobucket and post a link.   It's quite impressive.

Reply 3534#3534 shinny's post

I'm glad to hear you're all OK.  Like Craig, people who drive unprepared in bad weather really infuriate me too, as they put their lives and the lives of others at risk.

We don't have any snow yet.  I think it's raining today.  It's not as cold as it has been, but it's a very damp cold, which I don't like, as it makes it feel colder.

I'll definitely put a link to those pics up.  There are some new ones, and the store just gets cooler looking with each addition.

BTW, I won't be adding it today.  My head is starting to pound again, and I need to get offline.

Thanks Shinny. Got the pain under control, though all the other symptoms are still very much here.
Anyway, I was able to copy the pics I thought people might like. As they add more, I'll update the album.

[ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 11-29-2010 18:43 ]

Reply 3541#3541 mrs_h's post

We've only just started getting snow where I live, so no snow days yet.

They certainly are talented.  The guys that did the ceiling murals used to be graffiti artists, but now have their own business.  They also did the mural on the garage door in the back (which is the one with all the pink) - which certainly brightens up the alleyway.

Reply 3570#3570 babysexylexy's post

I see bala has decided the two of you should hijack this thread.   Have a blast.  

On the other note - I didn't realize that problem hadn't been fixed.  I'll send a PM to admin when I get a chance.

Thread