77 1234
Thread
Printable Version

Boston Legal Season 1-5 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Boston Legal Season 1-5 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I have just finished watching season 1 of Boston Legal.  I had seen this on regular TV and have to say it more than stands up to a second viewing.  The writing is witty with elements of pathos  and the characters for the most part are well rounded and interesting.  I have my favourites, Alan Shore & Denny Crane.

I had forgotten just how dry Alan Shore could be and as for the genius that is Denny Crane, William Shatner has for me finally laid to rest the spectre that was TJ Hooker.

I have seen most of seasons 2 & 3 but am happily looking forwards to watching them again.
trulee - Red is better than Blue, We're the CHAMPIONS so it's TRUE!!

Reply #1 trulee's post

You won't be disappointed.  My Mum and I watch this show together over the phone.  We love Alan & Denny, and the wonderfully crazy relationship they have.  We LOVE the Crane-isms, and the fact that they talk to the audience, pretending to be a TV show.  

My Mum occasionally claims to have Mad Cow disease when she forgets something...like Denny, and I think of her as MY flamingo.   If you haven't seen that episode yet, you'll get the reference when you do.   

Glad to know someone else is a fan and appreciates the humour of the show.  Looking forward to season 4.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Boston Legal - Season 4 discussion **possible spoilers**

ok why is it every season new people in this show can't keep secondary character on the show-anyway 1 hr episodes was enjoyable love bit denny and alan checking flow of their urine that really demented but rather amusing , and the ending with shirley -so she has new boyfriend denny going to me mad   .

what do think of the new lawyer?

Has no-one watch this episode?

Reply #2 bala's post

I did see that episode, and the newer ones as well.  I found the scene between Denny & Alan to be ridiculously amusing, but then that pretty much sums up their entire friendship.

I too don't know why they keep switching the secondary players.  They've had some very good actors and characters that they could have done more with.  I imagine in some cases the actors themselves choose to leave, if their role isn't challenging enough.  I doubt that that's the usual reason though.  Nobody has even mentioned that Paul (Rene Auberjonois) is gone.  Does that seem odd to anyone else, or is it just me?

They said they ran out of stories for the last group. Plus they needed to add more quirky people which is why they added Carl and made Jerry full-time. Then of course you need the sex so there are 2 new young lawyers up for grabs.

Though Paul will recur a few times this year.

Reply #3 waterlilybarb's post

thanks for your response i was thinking no-one is going to respond.

i feel bad jerry because he really likes new woman but she just wants to be friends

Reply #5 bala's post

I felt a bit bad for Jerry too, but I understand her point of view as well.  Maybe they'll find Jerry a more appropriate woman, one nearer his age, who could be a love interest for him.  I think that would be an interesting storyline, especially with his Asberger's Syndrome and all the quirks and ticks he has because of it.

And I'm glad to hear we'll see Paul again.  It just seemed odd that no one mentioned his absence, especially since they did mention Brad  Denise.

I'm also very happy that Clarence is still on the show.  I LOVED his duet, in drag, with his friend from the shyness group.  BTW, what happened to Claire?  I don't remember them breaking up.  Is she another casualty in the character shuffle.  She was an interesting character.  I can't imagine have nothing more to write for her.

Those writers need to get a longer attention span.

**Possible Spoilers**

I watched tonight's episode and was not disappointed.  They have added a new cast member as an associate in the firm...she should prove entertaining.

Jerry & Katie are friends again, which is nice, and she's quite a good attorney.  I really like her.

Alan and Denny are their usual odd selves, and their time on the balcony at the end was rather touching, for a moment...then Denny spoke.  Shatner just gets better.  He's such a ham, but because he knows it, it works for him.  

I do enjoy this show!

Reply #7 waterlilybarb's post

yes they added another person i just can't wait to see how long she will last. alan telling about his first experience was disturbing i actually felt bad for him .

denny seeing sherley kissing another guy

Reply #8 bala's post

I think the new girl will at least last the season.  She's in the opening credits.

I felt bad for Alan too.  It actually revealed a great deal about why he is the way he is.  Interestingly, my Mum and I were having a conversation about him after last week's show.  He's such a complex character: fiercely loyal friend, gifted attorney and a sense of self-loathing that keeps him from ever truly loving a woman.  His story to Denny, this week, explains some of his reason for this inability to love and commit to one woman.  Rather sad really.  Of course, Denny...in true Crane fashion...had to diminish the significance by telling Alan what a great childhood that must have been and asking him to retell the story.

It was also sad to see the look on Denny's face when he saw Shirley kissing Carl.  My sadness for him changed to being grossed out when he tried to kiss Shirley.  He really is a character.

This season

So far I've really enjoyed the new season.  I like the addition of John Larroquette and the storylines have been as good as I've come to expect.  The only thing I don't like is the addition of the character played by Saffron Burrows.  Alan's word salad because of her is amusing, but other than that I don't see the appeal.  I wouldn't be sorry for her to leave.  On the other hand, I do like the new English girl, Katie, who has been working with Jerry.  So far, she seems to be quite nice and a good balance to all the offbeat characters on the show.  It's nice to have a bit of sanity.  It makes the quirkier things stand out even more.

Reply #10 unbreakable's post

I also like the addition of Larroquette.

Was a little bummed last night because I forgot there that it wasn't on until I went to watch it at 10pm.  I need to pay better attention to the promos, or remember to "check my local listings".

I've said this before but I felt the beginning of season 3 was a mess. Reused jokes, lack of screentime for Brad, Denise, and Paul, too much of Alan (not neccessarily a bad thing but still). They sort of made up for it later but not enough to save it. However I think this year has been so much better. The new characters are quirky and interesting, Alan isn't doing every case, and it seems to have found it's humor again. My only problem is Denny is getting arrested too much but that's relatively a minor problem. Thumbs up for me.

Is anyone else still watching?  I know it's a challenge, not knowing when there's going to be a new episode, but it's still one of the best shows out there.

Last night's episode was a treat.  Denny actually tried a case, a murder case...which hasn't happened in quite a while.  It was amazing.  I love how Alan is so protective of him.  Their friendship is one of the best I've seen in years.  Male friendships aren't developed or really shown in a positive light in the media.  David Kelley does a great job of shining a light on them, as he did, especially in Chicago Hope and Ally McBeal.  

Anyone else who's watching, weigh in with your ideas.  I'd love to hear what others think about the show.

Reply 13#13 waterlilybarb's post

sorry i have actually given up on this-it lost my interest but if i ever get bored later on 2008 i will catch-up on this

Reply 14#14 bala's post

There have been some really good episodes this season.  With so many shows with no new episodes, I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to catch up on this one.

Reply 15#15 waterlilybarb's post

it's getting boring remember i watch first 3 season back-to-back when they were free i lost interest after season 3

I loved this week's Boston Legal.  Scott Bakula guest starred, and he sang.  That was my favourite part of the episode.  He played a college love of Shirley's, and looks to be the one she let get away.  Because of it, seeing what could be, Carl broke up with Shirley, saying they both deserved a relationship that was better...with more love and passion.  Shirley was quite broken hearted, but both Alan and Denny let her know they were there, as friends, if needed.  Of course Denny also offered what he always offers.

Jerry's girlfriend was revealed to be a complete nutter, which we kid of knew, but it's even worse than I suspected.  Thank goodness he has a friend like Katie.

Alan and Denny wound up having sex with the same woman, which was a major ICK for me, as was their talk of swinging.  I like both of these characters but sometimes they just gross me out.

Reply 17#17 waterlilybarb's post

i was shocked to see Scott Bakula guest starred but i have agree with your points jerry's girlfriend was a nut case. i found singing a little bit sappy but previous episode with Missy that was slightly mess up. if i didn't have trust issues before .

Alan and Denny wound up having sex with the same woman which i actually found amusing. That's just plain funny for me.

77 1234
Thread