Thread
Printable Version

Good suggesetion winners announced(updated on June 26th)

I am in

Great News - Thanks!!! I am in I have an Android (HTC Desire)

Suggestions for improvement

Hi - HTC android - testing on 3g connection with the dolphin browser - wow what great streaming - beautiful picture - only one small pause for buffering in the first 10 minutes - much better than I thought it would be. While watching my alarm went off on my phone and the video paused I dismissed the alarm and got the play arrow back - pressed it and the video restarted a second before it stopped - Great - and then a few minutes later I momentarily lost the 3g connection. When I got the connection back I could not just resume from where I stopped watching - I had to go back in the browser and press play again - the video restarted from the beginning. I then tested the video - I paused it and went to my phone then back to the browser and the play button was gone - had to go back and click to watch the video again but this time it restarted where I left off. I then tested it again - paused the video went back to the phone and turned it off ( not completely off - just to standby mode ) turned it back on went to browser - clicked on the video and it restarted from the beginning. So my suggestion - Is there any way to add cookies or something so that even if you lose connection - or stop the video and turn off the phone when you go back to watch again it will remember what you were watching and give you the option to resume from where you left off or to restart? Thanks [ Last edited by imagnu at 4-10-2012 02:34 ]

Another suggestion

Before I logged in I was on the home screen - viewing the latest updates - and I could scroll down and view more and more - at the top of the screen I was able to search. I searched for Doctor Who and came up with all the videos in season 6. After I logged in I was in a different place - presumably my account - the buttons led to account status and viewing history - even a button at the bottom of the page to go to the desktop version of the site - but no way to get back to the home screen. I then did a search for Doctor Who - thinking that I still had the search facility - but it didn't lead to all the videos in the season - just the last one (or maybe the last one I had viewed) - seems to be a different search from the account page. I had to actually put the address in the address bar to get back to the home page and the search that came up with all the videos - not just one. So this suggestion would be that as soon as you login you are given the choice to go to the home page or to your account - or at least put a button leading to the home page as one of the first ones you see - so you can get to where you want to be without having to re-type the url. Thanks [ Last edited by imagnu at 4-10-2012 03:19 ]

Reply to Bala

Are you going to the correct url? - http://m.viptv.net - the regular url leads to the flash site - the mobile one with the "m" in front should lead to the site using html5.

New test on different browsers

I am now testing on a firefox browser for mobiles and when I pressed play it is downloading the MP4 - rather than just playing on my phone - when the download finishes I will see what happens next. Bala - try the dolphin browser - see if that helps

Observations in Firefox Browser

The new firefox browser for mobiles - downloads the whole thing before playing - when I leave the browser to go to my phone the video stops - when I return to the browser there is no play button - I clicked on the video and it started a new download. I then went to my downloads - cancelled the second download and clicked to open the first and it played - but it started from the beginning - not from where I left off. Also the fact that it downloaded an MP4 (isn't that flash?) not sure whether the videos are html5 or flash - thought they would be html5 - but maybe it is just html5 technology making flash accessible? Now confused. [ Last edited by imagnu at 4-10-2012 03:48 ]

Finally tested on the default Android browser -

After it kept asking me which browser I wanted to use for each action I clicked on the video started to play - playback was excellent as it was in the other two browsers - but this browser remembered where I was in the video when I went to do other things. I could click on the phone - the video stopped when I went back to the video and pressed play again and it started from where I left off - even when I turned the phone off and back on (not a total restart - just in stand-by mode) the video resumed from where I left off. All three browsers were successful at beautiful playback quality - just some differences in how they do it. Good job so far and thanks for making this available for mobiles.

Even giant red letters didn't help

Maybe we should post a reminder every few posts - then people might see it... This thread is closed for new testers - it is suggestions only now - please post suggestions here otherwise wait until the service is live in a few days time.

Definition of Smeeker

I had never heard that word before - if you want a good laugh read the three definitions on this page - http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Smeek thanks waterlilybarb for teaching me a new word

Thread