Thread
Printable Version

Prime Suspect Season 1 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 8#8 bala's post

I am probably not going to watch this show, the trailer looked pretty lame and the posts here make it seem like it is not worth my time.
I did however want to reply to an earlier post of yours. The trailer stated that there are only 6,000 detectives in the NYPD.
Since there are approximately 36,000 police officers in the entire NYPD, and women make up only 15% of that number. That's about 5,400 female officers total, most of who are not detectives. The NYPD has 76 precincts scattered throughout the 5 burrows, and each precinct has different detective units (squads), homicide, vice, special victims, robbery, etc... Plus the detective command divisions, and the citywide detective units. It makes sense that not all units (including homicide), will have a female detective in it. I actually feel the writers doing this, makes it more realistic than shows that have a female on every squad just because it is politically correct.

My brother-in law is a NYC mounted cop, believe me there is a lot of sexism in the NYPD, in fact there is a lot of sexism in most police depts. especially metropolitan police depts. When a woman is added to an all male squad, she will be given a much harder time than a man. Even newly added men are given a hard time, but nothing like woman are. Most woman in the police dept. don't want to rock the boat and cry sexual harassment, unless they want to be frozen out and not have their backs watched. For the most part, women put up with it until they prove that they are a valued member of the squad and can carry their own weight.  In the case of this woman, having the members of the squad believe that she got the job by laying on her back, it may take a long while before she earns their trust. It may not be right, but it is just the way it is.

Thread