Thread
Printable Version

Flash Vs Realplayer

Reply 58#58 woothdye's post

Thanks for this. Most of these requirements would have been the same for Real player so most people who had no problems on Realplayer and now have Flash Player problems will need to dig a little deeper as to why it's now a problem. For new members, who've never used Real or Flash player it's worth checking these requirements. Especially, as woothdye indicates above, if your computer went out with the ark!

I work in technology. We do changes to our systems multiple times per week. When we make a change which negatively impacts the users, we activate a fallback to put the system where it was previously. I've just finished reading at least two dozen posts from people who are having serious problems with the new Flash system yet it's still there. It's been a week. Seriously, it's time to recognize that the change you made is not working out. Go back to the way it was, examine what didn't work, fix it & re-release in a limited fashion on a test basis so the issues can be worked out before going live to the whole user community. And this is happening during all the season finales as well. First rule of change management - do it at the lowest impact point. After reading the tips, I downloaded the latest version of Flash, I switched to Chrome & I verified I'm getting a download speed of 98 mpbs (that's ninety eight, not nine dot eight). Still, I'm buffering every 3 seconds. That's no exaggeration, it's literally every 3 seconds. I have no doubt this change was made with the best of intentions but it's time to realize that it's not working. If you're running a service for the benefit of your users, it's time to make the move back to the way it was when people could enjoy it. I moved from the US to a foreign country a year ago & VIPTV has been my lifeline. It's truly sad to have that line severed but there are other options on the net and after a week of frustration, I'm now going to start exploring them. I have points for another month, though, so I'll check back to see if things turn around. I sincerely hope you do the right thing.

Reply 61#61 shinny's post

Yeah, I don't think most people realize that trying to push any sort of graphic through a Pentium 4 is like trying to direct peak hour traffic through a suburban street. You can do it sure, but its painful for everyone involved and a two or four lane highway or freeway would be much more suited.

Reply 62#62 hsgreenb's post

I understand your frustration but the feedback the admin team have given to us is that since the introduction of Flash Player they've actually seen an increase of new members to the site. So although there are some teething problems, from a business management point of view, the change has been more successful than not. I'm sorry that you are having a lot of problems and at this point it's hard to advise you what to try, because as you well know, there can be so many varying factors as to why you are having problems. At this point our admin team are the only ones who can make that determination as to whether the negative impact far out weighs the positive and if it is the former then I'm sure they will look at that but all indications suggest it is the latter. [ Last edited by shinny at 5-7-2011 16:58 ]

Reply 63#63 woothdye's post

Lol, I love your analogies woothdye!

Reply 62#62 hsgreenb's post First off a disclaimer. I am just a user and not an administrator or moderator of the site. My views an opinions are my own and may in no way reflect those of the people that are affiliated with the running of this site
Quote:
Originally posted by hsgreenb at 5-7-2011 23:11 After reading the tips, I downloaded the latest version of Flash, I switched to Chrome & I verified I'm getting a download speed of 98 mpbs (that's ninety eight, not nine dot eight). Still, I'm buffering every 3 seconds. That's no exaggeration, it's literally every 3 seconds.
I really do feel for you and others that are having issues. I know that this site keeps me sane and can imagine what it's like for you not to have the use of it. I have a social anxiety disorder which means I am virtually housebound. My computer is my lifeline, it never gets turned off. I do everything on it, TV, movies, gaming and read fanfiction(yes,I just admitted to that). When my last computer died on me(may it rest in peace) I was like Tweak from Southpark after a caffeine overdose and I had no idea what to do with myself or how to pass the time. I can defiantly empathize with your frustration.
Quote:
I work in technology. We do changes to our systems multiple times per week. When we make a change which negatively impacts the users, we activate a fallback to put the system where it was previously. I've just finished reading at least two dozen posts from people who are having serious problems with the new Flash system yet it's still there. It's been a week. Seriously, it's time to recognize that the change you made is not working out. Go back to the way it was, examine what didn't work, fix it & re-release in a limited fashion on a test basis so the issues can be worked out before going live to the whole user community. And this is happening during all the season finales as well. First rule of change management - do it at the lowest impact point.
Since you work in technology you obviously know that all updates are bound to have issues or bugs. Unless you can control all possible variables such as, connection speed; peoples systems and configurations; browser of choice or the way different ISP's manage packets, some users are going to run into problems. This was very evident with the last system in place as well as this one. Before the change to flash users with Macintosh computers had a lot of difficulty and the administrators, moderators and general site community spent a lot of time troubleshooting the problems that they had. Mac users weren't the only ones to have problems either, Realplayer was clitchy for a lot of people, myself included, and my computer is set up for gaming and multi-media and shouldn't have a problem with video playback at all. I have only read complaints from 10 actual users in the forums that relate to flash and not the fact that they can't multi task. About half of those complaints seem to be user system/ISP issues. Just as in customer service when people have a complaint they tell a lot of people and shout it from the roof tops but when people are happy about a service they say very little if anything at all. The fact that the site seems to have complaints from so few users out of the hundreds that use it makes me believe that this was a very thought out upgrade and most if not all people are very happy with it. It is really unlucky and sad that you aren't one of them. There have also been a few kinks that have to do with site management and not with flash that have been explained and apologized for. The administrators and moderators are doing their best to help people but it is made harder by the fact that some people know nothing about their own computers capability/configuration. I know its hard but I would advise that people wait to see what others come up with to solve problems. A lot of the trouble shooting tips for Realplayer issues came from users figuring out what the problems were from their end. Solutions or workarounds will be figured out eventually. I wish you and everyone else that is having a problem with the site luck in finding a solution. [ Last edited by woothdye at 5-8-2011 02:08 ] [ Last edited by woothdye at 5-8-2011 02:10 ] [ Last edited by woothdye at 5-8-2011 02:14 ]

Reply 65#65 shinny's post

Thanks! I find I'm witty when I'm bored

Reply 67#67 woothdye's post

hmmmm well this Pentium 4 had zero issues with Real Player....none, nada, zilch. Worked perfectly. Neither speed nor memory are an issue so that leaves Flash. Seems hsgreenb has a very update, powerful PC set up and he's having problems with Flash. I do not believe you can call it an "upgrade" if the new system cannot perform as well as the previous....whatever the reason for the lack of performance.

i guess flash works well with chrome... just try it! regardless of your pc capacity and internet speed...

So being that I have not really seen any moderator's answers, Do we know why we are getting stream_not_found issue. Seems I can stream fine now from the US server and its blood quick (usualy about 3-5 mins to load the whole 24 min show) but I am constantly getting the stream not found and when switching to the euro server its so slow its not worth watching. Kinda hoping also a mod can PM me about getting a partial refund of this month as.

Reply 70#70 arteest's post

Hello, RM will be back soon, and how many pts ?.
We keep improving services for you.

Reply 69#69 rickman's post

Hey Rickman, thanks for your post but I already am on Chrome

Reply 72#72 janeprince2's post

page 1 has been updated with some news about RM

I agree I wanted to watch criminal minds and it took forever to get the last 2 minutes of the show. while in realplayer it would have played in one quick motion without buffering. I am glad I am not the only one who dislikes the flash player and rather have real player.

Reply 74#74 minnieholly's post

You'll have a Realplayer option back on Thursday per lbjedward update (see post one) here -> Updated on May 10th: VIP.tv-video.net to reopen on Thursday [ Last edited by shinny at 5-10-2011 23:03 ]

ccleaner

Hi All Anyone reading the Flash player threads knows I've had nothing BUT problems. Today on youtube I found a video called How to use ccleaner. I watched the video, found and downloaded ccleaner then ran the application. Have no idea what I fixed but the end result is I CAN FINALLY PLAY FLASH...woo hoo. Don't know if this helps you but thought I should share. Good Luck All, hope this helps someone else. cheers Jane

Reply 76#76 janeprince2's post

That's great news I am glad you found a solution

Reply 76#76 janeprince2's post

It's a registry cleaner. This actually may work for some people that are having buffering issues. There is also an old World of Warcraft registry fix that people found made youtube streaming better that might be worth a shot as well. though I wouldn't advise it unless you have some idea of what you are doing.
Irony. Yummy and delicious like cake.

Reply 78#78 woothdye's post

It's a multi purpose cleaner- you shouldn't mess with registry cleaner unless you know what you doing , just use default cleaner is recommended .

Reply 79#79 bala's post

I know messing with the registry is not recommended that is why I didn't name or link instructions to the fix/tweak. Although I have changed my registry before its not something you want the average person doing
Irony. Yummy and delicious like cake.

Thread