Thread
Printable Version

The Promise General Discussion

The Promise General Discussion

Drama following the parallel stories of an 18-year-old Londoner on a visit to present-day Israel and her grandfather, a soldier in the British peace-keeping force in 1940s Palestine. Erin sets off to spend the summer with a Jewish friend, and takes her grandfather Len's diary with her to learn more about his life. Intrigued by his tale, which begins in the final days of the Second World War, she retraces his steps in a bid to fulfil a promise he made more than 60 years previously.

CH4 SITE

Episode 1

I liked the way Len's story comes to life from the pages of the diary read by Erin but the retaliation for what happened in the market was sad and being covered in urine was obviously a distraction and what a cliffhanger with Paul going back in to the restaurant

Reply 2#2 codebreaker's post

This isn't typical show we watch but it was interesting history lesson it's hard to forget these is based some real historical events. I didn't realise that was urine   . The grave site provided a massive spoiler alert for Erin.

Reply 3#3 bala's post

Do you think Paul was the suicide bomber and the black and white footage was terrible

Reply 4#4 codebreaker's post

No i actually think it was couple who walk in as they were leaving,  the women look really nervous with her boyfriend.

Yeah the black & white footage was terrible but it acts as reminder so we never forget

Reply 5#5 bala's post

You was right about the young couple being responsible

Episode 2

I cant believe Paul and so many others survived that explosion and the explosion from Len's diary was horrific and I'm impressed Erin found the house in the photo and another good cliffhanger

Reply 7#7 codebreaker's post

Yeah me to i was surprised at that as well but i need re-watch last hour today. I like how two different character both experience the same thing that nice way to compare the situation but accusing that girl preventing him from leaving did look suspicious

I liked how none of them react at end they went back like nothing as happen

Reply 9#9 bala's post

They all must of known what was about to happen but as soon as there was no reaction to the horn i suspect something was going to happen

Reply 10#10 codebreaker's post

I assume they knew the question is how long will it take for them get help

Reply 11#11 bala's post

I would imagine Len is the only survivor

Reply 12#12 codebreaker's post

Yes those tombstone in the first episode told us that

Episode 3

Wow after they checked the ground for booby traps under the bodies hanging from the tree i should of expected something but the poor copper cutting him down had no chance and the soldiers allowing the children to throw stones was horrible but she but ends up being arrested by Israeli soldiers

Reply 14#14 codebreaker's post

This really was an intense episode and i have to say Erin really know how to get herself in trouble but love triangle is annoying it makes her look bad. I figured bodies were Bobbie trapped seems pointless checking the ground.

Episode 4

It was nice that Len was worried about the safety of Mohammed and his family but killing their dog seemed cruel and not being able to keep his promise to save Mohammed's son was tragic. We now know why Len had the key and wasn't able to return it to Mohammed but Erin finishing Len's promise was nice and that Len was still alive so sh could tell him about the key

Reply 16#16 codebreaker's post

Yes i can't believe he shot the dog but Erin finding Mohammed daughter and giving her the key was great but chaining herself to the house was crazy but shame about blowing up her house. It was nice conclusion

Reply 17#17 bala's post

It's a shame her friend that she was staying with was apart of the soldier's unit involved but from the soldiers point of view the family's daughter was a suicide bomber

Reply 18#18 codebreaker's post

Yeah and Erin actually finding bomber house and interpt her funeral when she found out who is was for.

Thread