25 12
Thread
Printable Version

Upstairs Downstairs (BBC One) General Discussion (Spoilers)

Upstairs Downstairs (BBC One) General Discussion (Spoilers)

ABOUT UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS
The wreath above the mantelpiece is furred with dust. The chandelier is festooned with cobwebs. Then a key turns in the lock - and a handsome millionaire walks in, with the woman he loves in his arms...
Set in 1936, this lavish three-part serial invites viewers old and new across the threshold of television’s most famous address - 165 Eaton Place.
Diplomat Sir Hallam Holland (Ed Stoppard) moves into the iconic townhouse along with his wife, Lady Agnes (Keeley Hawes). With the help of former parlourmaid Rose Buck (Jean Marsh), they launch a new whole new era for the sumptuous home at the heart of Upstairs Downstairs.
As Lady Agnes remarks: “This house is going to see such life!”
But storm clouds are gathering in Europe, and servants are no longer biddable and cheap. The Hollands’ first year at Eaton Place does not unfold as either Lady Agnes or Rose anticipates.
The drama that results sets exquisite domestic detail against a sweeping historical backdrop. There may be two families living in 165 - one upstairs and one down - but their fates are intimately linked. Touching, funny, romantic and savage, the revived Upstairs Downstairs is set to enrapture a whole new audience.
Homepage

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 2-19-2012 20:32 ]

Reply 1#1 codebreaker's post

i never watch this show so i don't know whether it's any good

Reply 2#2 bala's post

I am half way through the first episode and you should see who's in it (Sasha Beloff) and (DI Alex Drake)

1x01 The Fledgling

What a nice remake of the original period drama with some familiar actors and I'm sure one original cast member with Rose but Persie knocking the door while the national anthem was on and Johnny spilling the drinks was amusing

Reply 1#1 codebreaker's post

I LOVED the original (Mr. Hudson was a favourite, as was Rose & Mrs.Bridges - I DID like the dowstairs people better ).  This looks like it begins a few years after the other one ended.  I hope PBS carries it, as I'd like to see it.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

I missed the first episode but one of my friends was raving about it on facebook. I'm going to check out the next episode because he loved it so much, lol!!

I see BBC are showing the final episode at  9pm tonight but they are showing episode one at 2am tonight (tomorrow am) and the second episode the night after than (in the early hours) so I will sky plus all 3 and watch them in order later!

1x02 The Ladybird

That was tragic what happened to Rachel but i wonder how long they will keep her daughter and Persie relationship with Harry is going to cause problems

1x03 The Cuckoo

I thought what Maud did to Lotte was cruel but with her taking her to the same place as Sir Hallam sister it turned out for the best and Mr Pritchard was great at delivering Lady Agnes's son

2x01 A Faraway Country About Which We Know Nothing

I'm not surprise that Lady Agnes is frail after giving birth to their second child, it was only the last episode she gave birth to her first and what happened to the monkey was tragic but it was a good job he used it instead of the baby when testing the gas proof pram

Upstairs downstairs....no even in the house!!

Was only able to catch the two episodes of season 2. Very good as would be expected of the BBC....tv licence fees and all. Much better than Downton per my opinion.

Reply 13#13 fo_ogun1's post

I do like some of these period dramas but not seen Downton Abbey yet

2x02 The Love that Pays the Price

What a tight ass charging Clarice for the ingredients for the cakes she made for her own family but to take them back when the other cakes are spoiled was amusing, Clarice outstaying her welcome at Tommy's i could see coming after she resigned but having to reapply for the job was interesting

2x03 A Perfect Specimen of Womanhood

The comment about their Blanche being a lesbian after her lifestyle ends up being exposed in the paper when the scandalous novel is published by Lady Portia Alersford, Beryl stirring up trouble after everyone had their household chores changed was interesting and Lady Persie forcing a miscarriage was dangerous

Upstairs downstairs....episode 4

I am surprised the lord of the house slept with his wife's sister. Gives me the impression he liked her possibly before he even married the sister.....

Scandalous

[ Last edited by fo_ogun1 at 3-19-2012 11:18 ]

2x04 All the Things You Are

Harry signing up to take part in the local boxing championships was interesting and all to impress Beryl and who would of thought Lady Agnes would agree to be the face of Landry Nylons without Sir Hallam's consent but his face was a picture when he seen the billboard, Persie standing in for Agnes and lying to her on the phone was cruel so Persie sleeping with Hallam i seen coming especially with her making the first move

25 12
Thread