Thread
Printable Version

Showbiz News

You know, i just finished watching Lindsay Lohan's 1998 movie Parent Trap... she was sooo adorable in that movie... then I came accross a shobiz news of Lohan's popping nipples in a car show pictorials.... and now a Topless musical? WOW!!! i dont know.......

Any NEWS to Michael J. Fox?

Nice news!

that is not a nice one...

poor norton

her next is to be at a centerfold

and as far as I know, there is NO vaccine yet for the flu... sad news!

a certified holywood playboy huh!

damn it jack!  it might be the side effect of being exposed to wmd

Oprah KFC promotion sparks complaints

and it cost million$$$ to KFC as Oprah's TF...

better late than never... just to prolong the agony

Crowe gunslings his way into Japan

Russell Crowe talks to us about '3:10 to Yuma,' which finally pulls into Japan, and letting his acting work speak for itself

By GEORGE HADLEY-GARCIA
Special to The Japan Times
"People think of Westerns as being quintessentially American," says New Zealand-born actor Russell Crowe. "But they're quintessentially frontier stories. They're integral to anywhere with a frontier. Like Australia. I think the Westerns I've done could just as easily have happened in Australia."

Bang, bang: Russell Crowe takes aim in "3:10 to Yuma." © 2007 YUMA, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Crowe is referring to "3:10 to Yuma," a remake of a 1957 classic starring Glenn Ford. But he also costarred, before rising to Hollywood superstardom, in "The Quick and the Dead" with Sharon Stone and Leonardo Di Caprio (also not yet an A-list star).

Crowe, now 45, is said to have mellowed, even chastened, in recent years, following widely publicized confrontations — some violent — that many say cost him a second Oscar, when he followed up his winning role in "Gladiator" with "A Beautiful Mind."

So recently, Crowe has taken second billing to actors like Leonardo Di Caprio and Denzel Washington, and he is said to be in need of a box-office hit. In "3:10" he costars with Christian Bale and Peter Fonda in a tense story about an outlaw (Ben Wada, Crowe's character) and a rancher/Civil War veteran (Bale) and a group of men caught between lawlessness and justice, which takes time to arrive — and sometimes arrives after locals take matters into their own hands.

"It's a solid story. It's got conflict from the get-go," explains Crowe. "The suspense is real because what the frontier means is not a lot of people, not a lot of administration, you know, cope, judges, authorities in town. Few towns. It's very solid, and I, um, sometimes get the chance to play a character who goes to extremes, and I enjoy that."

One has been forewarned not to ask Crowe about his roles as a supporting actor (thus, no jokes about "eating crow"). Nor is an interviewer supposed to refer to, let alone ask for details of, his physical altercations.

Insiders have said, for a few years now, that Russell — born in 1964 — has definitely matured. When he wed longtime girlfriend Danielle Spencer on his 39th birthday, he swore to give up drinking, and has apparently kept his word.

Prior to the wedding, he had a much-gossipped-about affair with costar Meg Ryan that reportedly ended her marriage to actor Dennis Quaid and almost ended Crowe's relationship with Spencer, a some-time singer. However, the birth of their first child, Charles, cemented their bond, followed in 2006 by son Tennyson.

Crowe jealously guards his private life, but when asked about his ranch near Sydney he allows, "Yeah, home is the place you can go to totally relax. You hang your hat up, put your worries in a drawer."

Crowe has also apparently learned to keep controversial comments to himself. He gained several enemies in the business when, a few years ago, he again told the media that he looks down on actors who do commercials in addition to their acting jobs. The implication, said showbiz newspaper Variety, was that Crowe considered such stars "cheap or prostituting themselves," something, it added, "he clearly believes is way beneath him."

When it's mentioned in passing that some actors who wouldn't do TV ads in the United States do them, for considerable profit, in Japan, Crowe grumbles, clears his throat, then briefly snickers. "Yeah, well . . . it's not just the size of an audience, it's the fact of having an audience when you pretend to be an expert on a particular product, which as far as I'm concerned is a whole 'nother field . . . that has nothing to do with acting. But obviously, it's none of my business."

Crowe asks what one would like to know about "3:10 to Yuma"?

How does it compare to the 1957 original.

He clears his throat — perhaps a sign of impatience — and states: "I'm not going to be the one to call it a remake. It is based on the same story, same plot, yeah. But it's not some slavish remake or copy. When it got made that long ago, naturally if you go back to that source, you have to alter it, for the sake of relevance. It's a whole different audience now." He pauses, adding, "And Christian Bale is not Glenn Ford."

Meaning what?

"Well, how could he be?" says Crowe after a lengthy pause pregnant with impatience or irritation.

So one asks whether he enjoys acting, since one can't ask if he enjoys working with his costars. "Of course," he says. "I am an actor. That's what I do. Which is not to say that it's fun-time. Acting is discipline, it is work, it is conditions that are often beyond an actor's control. And it is giving maximum believability to your character and the sequence of events in which he engages.

"To me, acting is a craft — or whatever word you want to apply — that requires dedication and discipline. It's more than enough of a career and an art that an actor should stick to acting."

An article in British "Photoplay" once said that Crowe shouldn't be asked whether he wants to direct or go into politics, because he might launch into a lengthy speech about why thespians should stick to emoting. In the golden years when Crowe was a box-office champ and Oscar winner and/or nominee, he was noted for giving as few interviews as he could get away with. He explained once that an actor, not being a writer or publicist, is much better at acting on the screen than talking about the finished movie.

He says now: "Somebody once said: 'If your work speaks for you, don't interrupt.' I think that's a sound philosophy. '3:10 to Yuma' is a very good effort in a genre (Westerns) that's being revived around the world. It's also pretty relevant, what with the theme of outlaws and how people trying to be civilized react to an outlaw."

Russell, who doesn't hide the fact that he's a high-school dropout, plans to donate his brain to medical science (which has led to some unkind jokes in the media). He notes, "Life itself is the big learning process. You learn through the work you do, and you get better and better at it. I love the moments when my work is a joy to me. If, beyond that, a given film is a popular hit, I'm glad, because: one, it pleases other people, and two, it means I get good offers for desirable future films with desirable salaries.

"It's not that I'm greedy . . . don't do commercials, or so forth," he snickers. "It's just that as you get more famous, you get more of a probing crowd and a very probing media gathering around you, and it takes a lot of money to be able to buy the kind of privacy you need to guard yourself and your family against that." Like his ranch, he means.

"Besides, I want to stay focused on acting. This is what I do. I'm proud of it. Proud of my work. Proud of how far I've come in it."

Crowe grew up the son of caterers who provided meals to crews and casts making motion pictures.

"I saw acting and filmmaking since I was a wee nipper. But I wasn't bitten by the acting bug at a tender age, and my parents didn't push me into any given field. It's something I got into later.

"But I can appreciate the labors of hardworking, serious people — blue-collar, white-collar, anyone that scrambles to make a living and feed themselves and their family. I think being serious about your work, doing your very best at it, that is something admirable, and a noble goal."

How does he like being a father? A long pause, but no throat-clearing. "I learn as I go along. Very, very gratifying. And very, very private. Thanks for asking, though."

Any message for his fans? "Stick with me, folks. I'm getting better and better. And I'm not just doing it for meself."

Perhaps for a second Oscar? "No, no, no. Don't ask that. I act for acting, and for the audience. They're the final judges, mate. OK? Bye."

Media frenzy scared Sakai from giving up

Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2009

Kyodo News
Noriko Sakai apparently hesitated to turn herself in after she was told by an acquaintance that police stations were swarming with reporters following the arrest of her husband on a drug charge and her relative's request that police start searching for her, investigators said Monday.

The actress was quoted by investigators as saying she "got into a panic and didn't know what to do" after hearing from the acquaintance, whom she had sent to take a look at the Tokyo police station where her husband, Yuichi Takaso, 41, was under arrest and the one that received the search request from her mother-in-law.

The investigators said the Metropolitan Police Department believes the 38-year-old Sakai, affectionately called Nori-P by her fans, hesitated to turn herself in because of her panic and did not really intend to evade the police.

Sakai, who was arrested Saturday night, was turned over to prosecutors Monday morning.

Shortly after the Aug. 3 arrest of her husband, she disappeared along with their 10-year-old son. The son was later found safe in Tokyo in the custody of an acquaintance, but her whereabouts had been unknown until she turned herself Saturday.

Since her arrest, she has admitted to taking stimulant drugs since last summer at the urging of her husband.

Director of 'Titanic' signs on for Panasonic 3-D TV ad campaign

Saturday, Aug. 22, 2009

By YURI KAGEYAMA
The Associated Press
Panasonic Corp. has signed on "Titanic" director James Cameron and his upcoming film in an advertising blitz for its televisions equipped with 3-D technology, both sides said Friday.

The deal between the major electronics maker and Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.'s "Avatar" — the first major Hollywood 3-D release that's not animation — comes as competition heats up in flat-panel TVs that show three-dimensional images, or stereoscopic vision.

To watch 3-D TVs, viewers must wear special glasses that block vision in one eye and then the other as the TVs switch rapidly between images for each eye to create an illusion of depth.

Panasonic is planning to start selling 3-D TVs next year. Rivals, including Sony Corp., which has its own movie division, and Samsung Electronics Co. of South Korea have shown prototypes and may offer similar products.

The problem is the scarcity of content to view in 3-D. Skeptics say a number of Blu-ray discs of appealing 3-D movies must come out for 3-D TVs to catch on.

Several animation films are already being shown in theaters in 3-D, but "Avatar," set for release Dec. 18, will be the first major nonanimation film debuting worldwide in both 2-D and 3-D.

"I believe 3-D is how we will experience movies, gaming and computing in the near future. 3-D is not something you watch. It's a reality you feel you could step into," Cameron said on video.

Panasonic is hoping its collaboration with Cameron will give it an edge in brand image as a 3-D leader as well as in obtaining suggestions for technological improvements for home TVs, said General Manager Masayuki Kozuka.

"We want to get global interest rolling," he said. "For people to want to watch 3-D at home, the movie has to be a blockbuster."

Panasonic plans to have several trailer vans driving around in the U.S. and Europe next month with large-screen 3-D TVs inside showing "Avatar."

Sakai charged with drug possession

Saturday, Aug. 29, 2009

Compiled from Kyodo, Bloomberg
Prosecutors indicted actress and singer Noriko Sakai on Friday for alleged amphetamine possession, brushing aside concerns the case might fizzle because it is based on minute amounts of the illegal drug that were found in her home.

They also are expected to charge the 38-year-old celebrity with stimulant use.

Meanwhile, Tokyo-based Sun Music Production Inc., Sakai's talent agency, announced later Friday that it has fired the singer.

"We apologize from the bottom of our hearts" for the alleged misdeeds of Sakai, said Masahisa Aizawa, the agency's president.

The 0.008 gram of amphetamine seized from Sakai's apartment is well below the 0.03-gram dose used by habitual users, leading some experts to question the indictment.

Prosecutors decided to go ahead after weighing the fact that the drugs were carefully wrapped in aluminum foil, and that Sakai said she "kept them to use them later," investigative sources said.

A urine test conducted on Sakai after her arrest Aug. 8 came up negative, but traces of amphetamines were later detected in samples of her hair.

The former pop idol has told investigators she began using amphetamines at the encouragement of her husband, Yuichi Takaso, 41. She also said she fled to erase traces of amphetamines from her body after her husband was arrested for alleged amphetamine possession. Sakai disappeared early Aug. 3 and turned herself in five days later.

She stars in the Supreme Court's promotional videos for the lay-judge system, and also was a guest at an event for the Drug Abuse Prevention Center in 1993.

Traveling yakuza and 'Hissatsu' star Fujita dead at 76

Friday, Feb. 19, 2010

OSAKA (Kyodo) Popular actor Makoto Fujita died from a ruptured artery Wednesday at Osaka University Hospital in Suita, Osaka Prefecture, his agent said Thursday. He was 76.

Fujita's father, Rintaro Fujima, was a silent-film actor. Fujita, born in Tokyo in 1933, became a star in his own right as a leading member of the cast of "Tenamonya Sandogasa," a TV comedythat ran from 1962 to 1968.

Fujita played a traveling yakuza in the popular program, while Minoru Shiraki, 75, portrayed a Buddhist monk.

Fujita, whose real name was Makoto Harada, starred as samurai Nakamura Mondo in the period drama "Hissatsu" ("Kill") and in the contemporary detective drama "Hagure Keiji Junjoha" ("Rogue but Pure-Minded Detective").

Fujita also appeared on stage and in film and sang. He starred in the 1993 musical "Zorba" and in the 1983 film "Tsumiki Kuzushi."

He also appeared in a number of TV commercials.
In 2002, Fujita was awarded the Medal with Purple Ribbon, which is given to those who have made significant contributions to academia, the arts or sports.

Fujita canceled a stage appearance in 2008 as he battled esophageal cancer, and withdrew from a TV drama last November due to lung disease.
Last month, he came back as a narrator in the "Hissatsu" series.

Terajima wins Berlin film prize for best actress

Monday, Feb. 22, 2010

First Japanese to top the field in 35 years
BERLIN (Kyodo) Shinobu Terajima won the Silver Bear for best actress at the 60th Berlin Film Festival on Saturday, the first time a Japanese has bagged the prize in 35 years.

All smiles: Actress Shinobu Terajima talks to the media in Osaka on Sunday in her first appearance since winning the Silver Bear for best actress at the 60th Berlin Film Festival on Saturday. KYODO PHOTO

The 37-year-old Terajima was honored for her performance in director Koji Wakamatsu's "Caterpillar," a film based on a 1929 short story of the same title by mystery literary icon Rampo Edogawa.

"I won the award on behalf of everyone involved in this movie for doing such excellent jobs. This award is a reward for that," Terajima said at a news conference in Osaka Sunday evening. "I'm very happy that people around the world understood (the movie)."

Terajima said she could not sleep the previous night because of all the excitement, explaining that she needed to get up a number of times during the night to take congratulatory calls from her family and friends in Japan and abroad.

The film focuses on the relationship between a woman named Shigeko, played by Terajima, and her on-screen husband, who returns from war as a decorated soldier but loses his arms and legs in battle.

"It had been a while since a script electrified me when I first read it, compelling me to want to play the role," Terajima said of the movie. She said the award was also a reflection of the director's success in being able to deliver an accurate portrayal of the realities of war.

At the award ceremony in Berlin on Saturday, Wakamatsu read out a message on behalf of Terajima in which she said: "I am thankful for the award. This will be my life-long treasure. . . . I pray that there will be no war in the world someday."

Terajima had to leave Berlin before the presentation to perform in a play in Osaka that opened Sunday. She said she first learned she had won the award through the Internet.

"It was hard to believe at first," she said. "But now, I'm beginning to be thrilled by it."

"Caterpillar" is scheduled to be released in Japan in August.

Terajima is the third Japanese actress to win the best actress award at the Berlin event, which along with Cannes and Venice is considered one of the world's three major film festivals.

In 1964, Sachiko Hidari received the award for her role in "She and He." In 1975, Kinuyo Tanaka won the award for her work in "Sandakan No. 8."

The closing film for this year's festival was "Otouto" ("Younger Brother"), presented by director Yoji Yamada. Yamada was awarded the Berlinale Camera, a special award given to a person to whom the Berlin festival considers it owes its thanks.

Thread