Thread
Printable Version

Showbiz News

Swayze Photos Show Actor 'Close To The End'

Shocking new photos of Patrick Swayze show the actor gaunt and frail, with friends fearing he is "close to the end" of his cancer battle.

The 56-year-old star has bravely fought pancreatic cancer since he was diagnosed with the deadly condition last year. He has continued to work on U.S. TV show The Beast despite his ill health, dividing his time between the Chicago, Illinois set and the California hospital where he has undergone brutal treatment to attack the disease.

Swayze was struck down with pneumonia back in January, just days after discussing his cancer battle for the first time in a U.S. TV interview.

He overcame that setback - but two months on, the actor's health has deteriorated further.

Photographs published in this week's (begs09Mar09) National Enquirer show a bald and thin Swayze hooked up to a chemotherapy catheter as he attends a medical appointment before going shopping with his wife Lisa.

A friend tells the tabloid, "He knows the end is getting close and he's treating every day as precious. Still he feels a sense of satisfaction that his hard fight has shown the world what determination can do."

Mayer To Propose To Aniston?

Jennifer Aniston is reportedly set to receive a marriage proposal from her boyfriend John Mayer - the rocker has approached a top U.S. jewellery store to buy an engagement ring.

The former Friends star ended her marriage to Brad Pitt in 2005 and went on to date her The Break-Up co-star Vince Vaughn.

She was first linked to Mayer early last year but the couple parted ways at the end of last summer after several months of dating. They rekindled their romance in October.

And now Mayer looks set to take the relationship to the next level - British newspaper the Daily Mirror is reporting that the musician has been shopping for rings at top jeweller's Lorraine Schwartz, the design house which also provided wedding bands for Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce Knowles.

A source tells the publication, "Money is no object for John. He is creating a vintage-style classic ring for Jen. He's looking at an 18-carat flawless diamond. When he does get down on one knee, he wants to be completely sure he gets the right answer.

"He knows a ring like that would be difficult to refuse. He's just waiting for the most romantic setting to put the ring on her finger - busy schedules permitting."

Holmes To Launch Girls' Clothing Line

Actress Katie Holmes is adding fashion designer to her resume - she's developing a clothing line for young girls.

The 30-year-old star has been inspired by Suri, her two-year-old daughter with Tom Cruise.

And she's teamed up with stylist Jeanne Yang to break into the fashion industry.

Holmes tells America's Glamour magazine, "Jeanne Yang and I have been working together. We started about a year ago, sketching different things, trying to find comfortable clothing for our daughters that is also pretty and cute... We both grew up with mothers who sewed."

But Holmes admits her longterm plans for the line will see it expand to include more than just children's clothes.

She adds, "We just started, and we've played around with doing things for women as well."

Smiths To Open Another School

Hollywood superstar Will Smith is to open another school with his wife Jada - following the success of the couple's new Leadership Academy in California.

The pair launched the New Village Leadership Academy in Calabasas, California last year, which will teach pre-kindergarten children through to sixth grade at age 11-12.

And now Pinkett Smith has announced that they hope to open a companion high school, which will take pupils from the age of 11 until graduation.

The decision comes after Pinkett Smith spent time developing a home-school program for the couple's own children, Jaden, 10 and Willow, eight.

The Smiths' school was targetted by critics following reports the facility would follow a Scientology based program - but the couple denied the rumours insisting the school will cater for pupils of all religions.

Jackson Extends Tour

Pop superstar Michael Jackson has added a further nine dates to his run of comeback shows in London this summer - after more than a million fans tried to get tickets.

The Thriller hitmaker announced his return to the stage last week at a press conference in the British capital, unveiling a residency of 10 shows at the city's O2 Arena in July.

More than a million fans registered to buy tickets for the ten shows at the 20,000-capacity venue, with pre-sale seats snapped up within minutes of going on sale on Wednesday.

And as WENN went to press, the singer has extended his run for another nine shows, with more gigs expected to be announced.

The shows currently stretch from 8 July until 24 August.

Jackson hasn't played a full concert since 2001 and insists these shows will be his last in London.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday.

Cruz' Blonde Ambition

Penelope Cruz has transformed into a blonde bombshell for her role in the upcoming drama Los Abrazos Rotos.

Director Pedro Almodovar was determined to do away with the Spanish actress' trademark dark and dishevelled hairstyle for the film after seeing it was the look she wore in Woody Allen's comedy Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

He opted instead for a sleek platinum blonde wig - and even managed to convince Cruz to squeeze into a red latex minidress and fishnet tights to complete her dramatic metamorphosis.

Almodovar explains, "Before beginning the tests for my film I had already decided to avoid the dishevelled styles, inspired by Sophia Loren, which suit Penelope so well. After seeing the photo from Vicky Cristina Barcelona, I was even more convinced about my decision.

"I want to try not to repeat hairstyles that Penelope has worn in other films. I really enjoy reinventing her, discovering the number of characters that reside within our beautiful and versatile leading lady."

Swayze Blasts Press For Inaccurate Stories

Patrick Swayze has blasted tabloid reports he is losing his battle against pancreatic cancer, accusing the press of fabricating lies to "paint an unpleasant picture" about his health.

This week's (begs09Mar09) National Enquirer alleged Swayze's condition is fast deteriorating, publishing photos of a bald and gaunt actor hooked up to a chemotherapy catheter looking frail.

But the star has denied the publication's claims he is "close to the end", insisting he is continuing with his treatment.

He tells People.com, "It's amazing to me that the tabloids such as the National Enquirer print such negative stories about me and my health when there are so many positive things going on in my life right now.

"I've started a new chemotherapy and, once again, I am one of the lucky ones with pancreatic cancer that is responding well to the treatment."

And the 56-year-old is keeping a positive outlook, thanks to various projects - and a new pet: "There is a brand new, 12-week-old, Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy named Kumasai in my life who is gorgeous and already showing that he will be one special dog.

"I am starting work on my new book, in addition to enjoying the fantastic response from everyone on my A&E series The Beast.

"I hope in the future, the press will think twice about printing inaccuracies and painting an unpleasant picture when I have so much to be thankful for at this time."

Love Hewitt Dating TV Co-star?

Actress Jennifer Love Hewitt is moving on from her broken engagement with the help of her Ghost Whisperer co-star Jamie Kennedy, according to reports.

The 30-year-old star endured a painful split from fiance Ross McCall in December, but she has been spending more and more time with colleague Kennedy and their friendship has blossomed into a romance.

The actor joined Hewitt to celebrate her 30th birthday last month and America's Star magazine claims they are now a couple.

A source tells the publication, "Jennifer and Jamie have grown incredibly close since he joined the cast of her show last fall. They hit it off right away, and her feelings for him have only grown stronger.

"She's trying to keep her relationship with Jamie a secret, telling people they're just friends, but she can't hide her true feelings.

"They work together all day and hang out most nights. And when they aren't together, they're constantly on the phone... Jamie makes (her) laugh, which she really appreciates after crying over Ross the last few months."

Cannon Lands Job As TV Network Director

Rapper/actor Nick Cannon's TV career has been given a big boost - he's been named chairman of Nickelodeon's new network TEENick.

The husband of Mariah Carey, who was recently announced as the new host of reality show America's Got Talent, has signed a two year contract with broadcasting bosses, which will see him serve as creative consultant and director of the teenage-orientated firm.

And Cannon is delighted with the appointment - because he scored his TV debut on the network's hit comedy show All That in 1998, when he was just 18.

He says, "I started my career here at Nickelodeon and am so excited to be back, serving as an integral part of TEENick as the in-house voice and representative for teens everywhere.

"TEENick is their network and I am here to make sure this is an ultimate destination for and about them."

Veteran Van Dyke Dazzles At Charity Gala

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang star Dick Van Dyke rolled back the years to perform hits from the kids' classic at a charity bash in California on Monday.

The 83-year-old performer took to the stage to sing and dance a number of tracks from the 1968 musical - which is in line for a Hollywood remake - and he helped to raise $500,000 (£357,000) for kids' outreach charity Geffen's Stage for Any Age.

Helen Mirren, Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen, Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson and Brendan Fraser were also in the crowd at the seventh annual Backstage at the Geffen Gala at the Geffen Playhouse in Westwood.

During the event, the stars were invited to share embarrassing theatre tales, before Wilson was honoured with the Distinction in Theater Award.

Caine Slams 'Rotten' London Estates

Michael Caine has launched a savage attack on education and planning bosses in the U.K. for turning working class housing estates into no-go areas.

The veteran British actor insists officials are to blame for the country's spiralling crime epidemic because many underprivileged children were "left to rot" and "grew into animals".

And he is adamant the streets of London were safer in the 1950s and '60s - because criminals were "honest gangsters" who "didn't assault small boys or old ladies".

The Get Carter star recently filmed upcoming movie Harry Brown on the Heygate housing estate in south London, and he was shocked at how working class communities have crumbled.

He tells London's Evening Standard, "The film is about sink estates and the violence on them. This is a dark portrait but unfortunately it's very true and we're all responsible for it. We left the children to rot. We left these children and they grew into animals."

And Caine also realised that his own impoverished upbringing was luxury compared to some parts of modern London.

He adds: "I come from this. I'm on these estates with these guys and they're talking to me like I'm one of them and I think, 'There but for the grace of God go I.'

"The families have let the children down, the educators have let the children down. We've put them in rotten places like the Heygate estate... which fortunately is being pulled down. It should never have been built."

Damon: 'Oscars Voters Aren't Always Right'

Matt Damon insists the Oscars are no indication of whether films are good or not - even though he's a past winner.

The Bourne Supremacy star picked up a Best Screenplay Oscar in 1998 for Good Will Hunting, a film which also earned him a Best Actor nomination - but he's sceptical about the way the Academy picks its winners.

He tells Parade.com, "I think that the best way to judge movies is, like, 10 years after they're released. I think they should actually do the awards that way.

"I think they should have done the Academy Awards this year for movies from 1998. I think it's better to look at a movie and then step back and look at it again. I don't think that the awards necessarily get it right. I think they get it wrong more often than they get it right."

It's not the first time the actor has questioned the validity of the Oscars - he campaigned for director Martin Scorsese to win his first Academy Award three years ago, insisting the prizegiving would be a "farce" if the moviemaker was overlooked for The Departed.

He said, "Marty's such a great, great director. He really wants it (Oscar) and he hasn't made that a secret. He's been upfront about saying it would really mean a lot to him.

"He never felt that Hollywood had validated his work because his work is centred around the east coast and New York and that somehow threatened the establishment or something. But it demeans the Oscars more than it demeans Marty that he doesn't have one, to be honest with you. Once he receives his (Oscar), then everyone who has one, their award is validated."

Scorsese won his first Best Director Oscar for The Departed. It was the sixth time he had been nominated for the award.

Mayer Dumps Aniston?

Rocker John Mayer's on-off relationship with Jennifer Aniston is off again, according to reports.

Mayer ended the romance last week (ends06Mar09) after the former Friends actress returned from a promotional jaunt in Europe to support her latest movie Marley & Me.

A source tells E! Online's Marc Malkin, "He broke up with her when she got back from her European tour."

The news comes just weeks after the couple gave its first joint red carpet interview at the Oscars, which Mayer attended as Aniston's date.

Reports as recently as this week even suggested Mayer was preparing to propose to the actress after allegedly shopping for an engagement ring.

But Aniston - who divorced husband Brad Pitt in 2005 - recently hinted her romance with Mayer would be shortlived, after admitting she doesn't believe relationships are meant to last.

She said, "Who ever said that every relationship has to last forever? That's hoping too much. I think every relationship is a world unto itself."

And when asked about finding the perfect partner, she replied, "I don't have one and I don't think it exists."

The stars were first rumoured to be dating in early 2008 but the couple parted ways at the end of last summer. They rekindled their romance in October.

Mayer's spokesperson has declined to address the singer's private life, while Aniston's representative has yet to respond to requests for comment on the reports.

Hasselhoff Bailed Out Ex-Wife After DUI Arrest

David Hasselhoff put aside his differences with ex-wife Pamela Bach to bail her out of jail after her drink driving arrest on Wednesday.

The 46-year-old actress was taken into custody by California police on Wednesday after allegedly causing a rear end collision at around 9pm local time in the San Fernando Valley area.

She was booked for a felony at Van Nuys jail after others involved in the collision complained of minor injuries. Bach was released from custody at midnight after posting $100,000 (£72,820) bail.

And according to TMZ.com, it was her ex-husband, Hasselhoff, who contacted a bail bondsman and paid the sum.

The pair has been embroiled in a bitter legal battle over attorney costs and living arrangements since the Baywatch star filed for divorce in 2006 after 16 years of marriage.

Bach is due in court on 6 April.

Steve-o Dancing Through The Pain

Stuntman Steve-o fears he'll be the next casualty of TV show Dancing With The Stars after pinching nerves in his back.

The Jackass star struggled with his dancing debut on the show earlier this week (beg09Mar09) because he was in agony, and now he's not sure he can continue.

He says, "A physical therapist has told me that nerves are being pinched in my back and it is in spasms because of inflammation related to torn muscles. I'm doing everything I can to let it heal; icing it, taking Advil, drinking water, visiting a chiropractor and continuing to be worked on by the physical therapist.

"I'm still rehearsing every day, but walking through my salsa routine, rather than practising the physical stunts and tricks that are incorporated into it. It is going to be a risky routine that I hope to pull off."

Singer Jewel and U.S. TV presenter Nancy O'Dell were forced to pull out of the current season of the show due to crippling injuries.

Panettiere Explains Press 'Attack'

Actress Hayden Panettiere has downplayed reports she lashed out at a journalist in Hawaii last week (beg02Mar09), insisting the story has been blown out of proportion.

The Heroes star was said to have erupted angrily after a reporter tapped her shoulder at a fundraiser gala on Sunday, barking at onlooking press, "You all make my life miserable."

But Panettiere, 19, is adamant she maintains a good relationship with journalists.

She tells U.S. magazine Ok! "I have tremendous respect for the media and reporters - particularly the press who treat the people they are interviewing with dignity. I am appreciative that the press has supported me, my career, and especially the causes I feel passionately about."

And she insists stories about the alleged outburst have been greatly exaggerated: "While in Hawaii, one reporter grabbed me suddenly from behind and frightened me. It happens. Typically, the press has treated me with great respect."

Pattinson Panicked At Twilight Premiere

Robert Pattinson was so overcome with nerves at the Los Angeles premiere of Twilight, he suffered a panic attack after watching the first ten minutes of the vampire thriller.

The actor has never seen a single one of his movies - and couldn't watch much past the blockbuster's opening credits without feeling a rush of anxiety.

He tells the new issue of GQ magazine, "I went out and sat in the car, having a full-blown panic attack."

But the 22-year-old won't have to sit through too many more premieres in the future - because he plans to be picky about the film roles he accepts.

He adds: "(I'm) not massively concerned about doing lots of acting jobs. If it all just went, right now, I'd be like, 'All right. I don't really care. That's probably a stupid thing to say. But I don't, really. I think it'd be much worse to do a load of stuff (movies) that’s really bad."

Hogan Wins Partial Victory In Divorce Dispute

A Florida judge has granted former wrestler Hulk Hogan access to some of the funds frozen in his divorce battle with estranged wife Linda Bollea.

Hogan, real name Terry Bollea, appeared in a Pinellas County court on Thursday to formally request the release of $300,000 (£218,980) in order to pay his bills.

In legal papers filed on Monday, he claimed he was unable to work after undergoing back surgery last month.

The motion indicated he had approximately $411,000 (£300,000) in the bank, but owed $312,000 (£228,000) in outstanding debts.

He was handed a partial victory when Judge George Greer ruled Hogan could have $225,000 (£164,230) a month for the next three months, despite Bollea claiming the star would simply spend the cash recklessly.

Greer also set a 5 October start date for the couple's impending divorce trial.

But the bitter divorce battle heated up outside the courtroom, when Hogan confronted Bollea's attorney, Ray Lafool, as he was giving a press conference.

Objecting to Lafool's claims that Hogan is to blame for his own financial troubles, the ex-grappler said, "I'll sue you", to which the attorney replied, "Are you gonna wrestle me? ...You are the person that has caused this issue."

Hogan responded saying, "I can talk, it's a free world", before the war of words continued between Lafool and Hogan's own lawyer.

A court bailiff arrived to break up the dispute, but the two parties had gone their separate ways.

Theron Urges Press To Bury Father's Death

Hollywood actress Charlize Theron has begged the media to stop mentioning her father's violent death - because she wants to "stop living in the past".

Theron was 15 when she saw her mother, Gerda, shoot dead her alcoholic and abusive father, Charles, in self-defence.

The Oscar-winner is constantly asked about the incident in interviews - and admits seeing so many stories about her family history is upsetting for her.

She says, "For me, this thing happened so long ago and I just really wish people could move on from it. I don't live in the past. When I read headlines about me saying, 'When she was 15, her mother shot her father,' it's very sensational for me. It happened 18 years ago.

"Since then I've had a complete, full life, and my God, if I've been living the past 18 years in the past because of one event, someone should put a gun to my head and put me out of my misery because that's a waste of my life."

Kennedy Confirms Hewitt Romance

Actor Jamie Kennedy has confirmed he's dating his Ghost Whisperer co-star Jennifer Love Hewitt - three months after she called off her engagement.

The couple prompted reports its on-set friendship had blossomed into a romance behind the scenes when Kennedy joined Hewitt to celebrate her 30th birthday last month.

Kennedy confirmed the news on Los Angeles DJ Ryan Seacrest's radio show on Friday, comparing their "intense connection" to characters in hit vampire franchise Twilight.

He told Seacrest: "Yes, we are dating. Wow, I've never said that. We're more than dating... we're more than in love. We have an intense connection. She's my Bella. I don't want to bite her neck, but I want her to live... I'm in love, and I don't care!"

And the actor insists the whirlwind romance was unexpected, adding: "I thought something would happen in my 40s. Hollywood makes us on our own train, and it's like I have a co-conductor now."

Love Hewitt split from fiance Ross McCall in December after three years together.

Thread