Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

I'm Back =)

Wow I can't believe Meg's wedding is already here!  I'm gone for a week and it just sneaks up on us!  That bachlorette party Tina made is so cute.  I love the gift leaving option!

So I'm sure you're all wondering how my trip was.  If you want to know more details I'll leave those later, I still have a lot of catching up to do and preparing the Hunt.  Over all my trip was really good.  It is a physically and emotionally draining trip if you can imagine, but we had a great balance of activities so after a long emotional day we would end with fun activity or celebration.  We focus a lot on life in Poland before WWII.  It is hard to believe now that 70 years ago there were over 3 million Jews in Poland.  Today only a few thousand remain.  We visited some old Jewish towns that had the synagogues still in tact or were refurbished for the purpose of trips like mine.  Some of them are beautiful!  We also visited three camps: Treblinka, which was completely destroyed so it is just a memorial, Mejdanek which was half rebuilt, and Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II Birkenau, which was huge and all original buildings.  I've been studying the Holocaust my entire life, but just being there in Poland in all those places is something you cannot learn from books or the stories and an expereience I am glad I was able to have.

Now I am exhausted and can't wait to just relax for the next couple of days before I have to move into my room for the last section of my program.  I have so many shows to catch up on =)

Good to see you back, Arielle. Sounds like you had a really great trip, glad you enjoyed it. The things that went on in those places is unimaginable and I think it's good to consider what people went through rather than it all being just another bit of history we'd rather forget. And it's good you had some fun activities too!
Looking forward to the hunt!
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

Reply 1641#1641 imarielle626's post

Glad you're back safe & sound.  I can imagine how emotionally draining the trip was, but I'm glad they arranged for lighter activities in the evenings.  What a great opportunity though, to see history instead of just reading about it.  I have studied the Holocaust a lot too, and spoken to survivors.  Even just speaking to them makes everything much more real.  I had forgotten how low the number of Jews in Poland had become, especially in comparison to the pre-war years.  

I'm really glad you enjoyed the trip.  Now back to everyday life, eh?  How's the hostel?  Warmer than the apartment I hope.  You do what you need to for the egg hunt and such.  I'm sure I'll see you around the forum as you do a little catching up.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

hi

hi guys i just spent so much reading all these post.. lol you guys are very funny.. really better than what i came to do watch tv.. but see now, i can read and read .. so dont have to buy any more books for drama or comedy  .. lol. well let me get back to reading just wanted to say.. this is very funny and i had a great time reading all your great post..

Reply 1641#1641 imarielle626's post

Arielle, welcome back .  It's good to see our history in living colour rather than just read about it in history books. Nothing like first hand knowledge to really make it sink in. I love history (as I've mentioned before) Before the famine in Ireland we had a population of close to 9 million. After the famine it was around the 3 million mark. They estimate that half died of starvation and the other half emigrated. The population is about 4 million now, but it just goes to show the devastation it had on the country.

Reply  1644#1644 megatan's post

Hi megatan, welcome !! Yes it is fun reading about what everyone is up too. Be sure to join in, it's nice to have new members participate !!

Reply 1645#1645 shinny's post

I remember learning about the Ireland famine in history class.  It's horrible when a country loses so much of it's population.  I was looking at some statistics comparing the populations of the world and certain European countries from 1939 (pre-WWII) to 1940s (post WWII) to today.  The world population dropped so drastically!  I think the only other time in history there was such a drop in population was the Black Plague.

Reply  1644#1644 megatan's post

Welcome!  Glad to see you are having fun reading this thread.  It must keep you occupied for a while!  When I first found this thread I tried to read it all the way through, but I think I just read the first couple of pages then skipped to the last couple of pages and continued from there.  But I agree, sometimes we can be better than tv

Every new member of the giggle box needs a proper welcome, so here is yours:

Our door is always open

Refreshments are always being served

So sit back relax and PARTAY!

So even after two naps today  I am still sooo overtired from my trip hence the above!  I tend to do the best thinking when I am like this.  Ha half the stuff you'll see in the hunt I came up with because I just couldn't sleep no matter how tired I was and would stay up for hours watching shows and writing clues.

[ Last edited by imarielle626 at 3-3-2008 20:38 ]

Reply 1646#1646 imarielle626's post

Thanks for the giggle Arielle!  The welcome you left for megatan is too cute!   Looks like your getting a little giddy from being overtired.

Reply 1644#1644 megatan's post

So glad we've provided you with some entertainment.    As the girls said, please feel free to take your coat off and stay a while.  We're always happy to have someone pop in and join in on the fun.

Reply 1646#1646 imarielle626's post

Yes, the pre and post war stats are very frightening. The strange thing is though that if we'd have continued to support a population of 9m+ into today, we would not be as wealthy a country as we are. So, you have to wonder why these things happen.

I love the little dancing blue man

Quote:
So, you have to wonder why these things happen.
I completely agree.  But sometimes there is no logical explanation.  We just have to use examples from the past to make sure they are not repeated in the future.

Most of the week in Poland I had this song stuck in my head.  It's from the musical Tick Tick...BOOM! The lyrics are really great and so true!  I still have trouble figuring out how to post songs so here are the lyrics.

Louder Than Words:
"Why do we play with fire?
Why do we run our finger through the flame?
Why do we leave our hand on the stove-
Although we know we're in for some pain?

Oh, why do we refuse to hang a light
When the streets are dangerous?
Why does it take an accident
Before the truth gets through to us?

Cages or wings?
Which do you prefer?
Ask the birds.

Fear or love, baby?
Don't say the answer
Actions speak louder than words.

Why should we try to be our best
When we can just get by and still gain?
Why do we nod our heads
Although we know
The boss is wrong as rain?

Why should we blaze a trail
When the well worn path seems safe and
So inviting?

How-as we travel, can we
See the dismay-
And keep from fighting?

Cages or wings?
Which do you prefer?
Ask the birds
Fear or love, baby?
Don't say the answer
Actions speak louder than words

What does it take
To wake up a generation?
How can you make someone
Take off and fly?
If we don't wake up
And shake up the nation
We'll eat the dust of the world
Wondering why

Why do we stay with lovers
Who we know, down deep
Just aren't right?
Why would we rather
Put ourselves through hell
Than sleep alone at night?

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution?
If we're so free, tell me why?
Someone tell me why
So many people bleed?

Cages or wings?
Which do you prefer?
Ask the birds.
Fear or love, baby?
Don't say the answer.
Actions speak louder than

Louder than, louder than
Louder than, louder than

Cages or wings?
Which do you prefer?
Ask the birds
Fear or love baby?
Don't say the answer
Actions speak louder than

Louder than, louder than, ooh

They speak louder
Actions speak louder than..."

Reply 1649#1649 imarielle626's post

Great song, and very true.  Did you get to see that show Arielle, or do you just know the music?  There isn't much theater where I live, but I do love it.

Reply 1650#1650 waterlilybarb's post

I haven't seen the show yet.  I was sent the song by the leader of a program I did a couple years ago.  I have heard that one of the absorption centers here is putting on the show sometime soon so I hope i'll be able to see it them

Reply 1651#1651 imarielle626's post

Welcome back Arielle!

Reply 1652#1652 studiojek's post

Thanks!  It's great to be back!

I really love your new avatar arielle.

Reply 1654#1654 meljones_83's post

So do I.  I noticed it last night, but was a little busy closing all the nomination threads.  Is it a snap you took, or one you found?  Either way, it's really pretty.

Reply 1655#1655 waterlilybarb's post

I acutally think it was a facebook bumper sticker that I saved to my computer.  I found a bunch of cute avatars so when I'm in the need for a change look for a new one =).

Reply 1656#1656 imarielle626's post

Good idea.  For me, once I found the image I now use, I decided to stick with it...at least on our forum.  It helps newbies recognize me when they're looking for a Super Mod to answer their questions.  Plus, I really like my pic...it's pretty.

Reply 1657#1657 waterlilybarb's post

And it's perfect for you too!

Reply 1658#1658 meljones_83's post

Thank you Mel!

OK here I am as punk Tina in High school. The hair was pale pink and of course I was skinny then so my meez is skinny.

Thread