Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Reply 3340#3340 waterlilybarb's post

Ok well then I can officially say that THAT JUST SUCKS =( It'd be nice if one day they could find a cure for them...I'll keep hoping for you!

Reply 3341#3341 studiojek's post

I whole-heartedly agree.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

AAAHHHH!!! My rant for the day!

Finally got the landlord to come over and the heater started working.  It DOES kind of work, but not enough to get anything warm.  He thinks it's fine, while I sit here trying to type with my fingers stiff from the cold.  If it has actually started to work properly I'll be delighted, but if not (which is my suspicion), it will take that much more time to get him back here to fix the stupid thing.  

OK - I just checked it again, and it is not getting any warmer than when he was here - which is NOT enough to warrant leaving it turned on high and paying a crazy high bill.  It's not even Februaury yet, we're having a cold snap, and I'm sick.  Warm weather won't be here for a couple months, and a person can only wear so many layers and get anything done.
Frustration does not even begin to describe how I feel!   

Plus, I was stupid and had a couple cookies yesterday (they contained wheat flour).  Wheat is NOT my friend.   On the up side, I found a pretty decent recipe for brownies made with rice flour...which I'll wait to make until my guts feel better.

Irish Weddings

Generally speaking they are looonnggg but there are always exceptions to that. The first half of the day begins in the Church and ceremony will generally start about 1pm to 2pm and go on for about 1.5-2 hrs (every guest congratulates the couple on the way out of the church which can take for ever)

Then everyone will head back to the hotel while the couple go and get their pictures taken. So for about 2-3 hrs people just hang out and chat, have some drinks and something small to eat. Yesterday we had a string quartet to listen to while we waited. Then at about 6pm we have dinner which can be anything from 3 to 5 courses. The wedding I was at yesterday was 5 courses as it was a 5 star hotel. Then we have the speeches which go on from anything from 30 minutes to 90 minutes. The band generally come on then and we have the couples first dance, after a while the couple will cut the cake which will be given out later when the second lot of food is served (generally about 11pm and finger food) - The band will play until about 12.30am and then the DJ will come on. Usually the DJ will finish up around 2-2.30pm and everyone will make their way to the Residents Bar where a sing song will generally kick off. Depending on your stamina you could be here until 6am! We managed to get to bed a little earlier than that at 4am!! Usually if it's a family wedding the family stay down the next day and spend the day together. As this was a friends wedding we stayed until about 1pm and then we set off home. I didn't manage to get home until about 7pm that evening as I was with my girlfriends and we decided to go for a late lunch and then some shopping.

Phew, I was tired even just writing that!!

Edit: I should just clarify that although they are long, I love them. I never get bored as there is always something happening!!

[ Last edited by shinny at 1-31-2010 23:37 ]

Reply 3343#3343 waterlilybarb's post

What kind of a heater is it Barb? Like a radiator?

Reply 3345#3345 shinny's post

Unfortunately it's an electric baseboard (more expensive & there's no forced air, so they don't seem to warm things up as much).  I LOVE radiator heat, but none in this apartment.

Sounds like you had a great time at the wedding.  That IS a long day though.  Is that just the norm for church weddings or are they as long if someone does a civil ceremony?  Here, most people expect their guests to find something for themselves to do while they go do pictures.  Fine if you live in town, but not so much fun for out of towners (they generally go visit at someone's house) until the reception.  It also varies greatly from one culture to another, as this is a very multi-cultural area.  I've been to Italian, Nigerian, French-Canadian, among many other kinds of weddings (other than just Canadian).  I think the differences are what make them so much fun.  It's an opportunity to see another culture in a different light, other than everyday life.

Reply 3346#3346 waterlilybarb's post

That's a pain. We really only have radiators here but some older houses would have storage heaters which are awful. I have gas heating which is great. It's piped into the house and I have a central boiler. That heats all the radiators in the house and the water, but I also have an immersion for heating the water faster (electrical). I have an open gas fire in my living room too.

Civil ceremonies would be much shorter for sure. I agree about different cultures and how they celebrate the day. My brother's wedding in Australia was very similar to an Irish wedding except they do the format of things a little different and it ended really early by Irish standards. I think like at 12am everyone was ready to go home and we were like, huh!? Funny.

Reply 3347#3347 shinny's post

A lot of weddings end around midnight here too - but that's generally if that's what the bride & groom choose.  Most weddings I've been to end around the time the bride & groom head out.  If the couple is more into the party it can go longer, but if they're heading for their honeymoon the next day, between midnight & 1am is pretty standard...though Italian weddings tend to go later, as more food is usually brought out around midnight.  :)

Reply 3330#3330 penny3760's post

I think this article says all that needs saying.

Evidence-based medicine is the rallying cry of a generation of physicians. So why do so many physicians ignore the evidence when it comes to dietary supplements?

Today, 73% of US adults use some kind of supplement at least once a year, according to a recent FDA-sponsored survey.[1]

Much of that use can be traced to physicians' practices. Many children -- my own daughter included -- are prescribed a chewable multivitamin by their pediatrician. Yet no major medical group or government agency recommends them for otherwise healthy children or adults, because evidence-based reviews have found no benefit. Indeed, a review in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that antioxidant vitamins slightly raise the risk of premature death.[2] Another study, just published on May 15, found that heavy multivitamin use in men increases the risk of advanced or fatal prostate cancer.[3]

Beyond vitamins, some physicians even recommend herbal remedies and specialty supplements.[4] Yet randomized trials supported by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine have concluded that glucosamine-chondroitin does not relieve arthritic pain,[5] that echinacea does not prevent colds,[6] that black cohosh and other herbs do not relieve the symptoms of menopause,[7] and that saw palmetto does not relieve benign prostate hyperplasia.[8]

The evidence for potential harmfulness, meanwhile, grows ever stronger. Since 1983, the American Association of Poison Control Centers has tallied more than 1.6 million reports related to the use of supplements, including 251,799 serious enough to require hospitalization.[9]

While only a minority of physicians recommend herbs, surveys show that most fail to even raise the subject when taking a history.[10] As a result, case reports of interactions with prescription medications have become commonplace in the medical literature.[11]

It's time for physicians to face [the fact] that the majority of their patients use supplements. They need to ask all their patients about them -- Do you take vitamins? Do you take any herbs or other supplements? -- and apply evidence-based standards in discussing their merits.

That's my opinion. I'm Dan Hurley, medical journalist and author of Natural Causes: Death, Lies and Politics in America's Vitamin and Herbal Supplement Industry.

Hi everyone! I've been off again for a few days (this time), dealing with my own medical issues. Not much to report on myself except that tonight is the premier of Lost (I know big news right).

Barb, I hope you are finding ways to keep warm, have you tried opening your oven door with it turned on. Don't go sticking your head in it out of frustration though. We all need you here, you are the glue that keeps us all together and sane. Or don't you know that?

Shinny, glad to hear you had a good time at the wedding. Irish weddings can be loooong, but they always have an open bar, which is great IMO!! We had similar heat to what you are describing up north (nice & cheap), but here in the south it's central air/heat (which is super expensive).

Meg, glad to hear that married life is treating you well. I hope you find all the love and support, at you new church that you need. The good ones always offer lot's of care in times of need. It's always great hearing from you, take care sweets.

Studio, I hope that Sofia's new adventure into the big world, bring her lot's of friends, fun and exciting things to learn. My girls were very sociable too, and being home all day, everyday wasn't what suited them either.

Well, I'm offf for a spin around the boards, catch up with you girls later!

Good to see everyone chatting it up on here!  And Gypsy - good to see you again!  

Barb - how many quilts do you have?  can you cuddle up under them and stay cozy?  haha not a solution - but it might help for a bit.  or a hot bath! haha

Shinny - my wedding ended at like 10.... we waited til our wedding night... we left rarther early (like 9 pm) haha it started at 1 30 though, so it was a bit long.... some guests may have stayed til 11.  but most left around 10!  long weddings are lots of fun, I agree!  Especially if you are good friends or family with people there - otherwise it could be boring!  haha

Reply 3351#3351 themegababe's post

LOL!  I have plenty of blankets Meg.  Thankfully it's not as cold (or damp) this week, so it's not as chilly in here.  I'm also still running a lowgrade fever which keeps me warmer some of the time.  I wish I could take a hot bath, but alas, I only have a shower.  I do take hot showers, but when I have the migraines (like today) they make my head worse, so I forgo them and do a sink bath. I'm dying for a shower, so am hoping my meds will kick in a little better (I also need to get off the computer for that to happen) so I can hop in, warm up and freshen up.

Oh my gosh, I've missed so much. My computer is broken and hasn't been working for like 2 months now. Congratulations, Tina!!! Malec is such a pretty name! I have to catch up with the rest of the reading. Sddvasquez, I miss seeing you online and getting to discuss shows and stuff with you! I also finally got my license recently. In Morocco, the process is soo long and difficult, and we would've had to spend like $100 just for me to have to end up taking the test again. So we waited. NJ has really strict driving laws; even though I'm over 21, I still have to have a permit for at least 3 months until I can get my license(which will be provisional but it doesn't apply to me b/c I'm over 21). Its so annoying. When I lived in Pennsylvania, all you had to do was pass the easy 20 question permit test (unlike the hard 50 question NJ test) and pass the driving test whenever you decided to schedule it. Oh well, I'm just glad to get it over with. I miss chatting with you all, especially you Granny Penny! ^_~

Reply 3353#3353 nye87's post

Great to see you back, sorry about your computer that's a bummer. Congratulations on getting your license, that's awesome. The laws where I grew up (Maine), and the driving test are difficult too. The laws and driving test, here in Florida are unbelievably simple. You just drive around a parking lot with cones, and no parallel parking in the driving test.

In CA you have to get your permit first and then wait 6 months and 40 (I think ) hours of supervised (by parents / guardians) before you can get your license.  I think if you are over 18 then you don't have to wait those 6 months.  But at 15 you can get your permit, but you still have to wait til you are 16 to get your license.  Then for the first year you can't drive between the hours of midnight and 5 am.  And the first 6 months you can't drive anyone under 18, unless it's a sibling or you have a note to drive them to school. But if you have someone over 25 in the car, you can do either.  And I would have the timeframes switched up, but it's annoying!  haha

I have to ask this question -ain't driving licence transferable i mean if you pass your driving test say in Florida than i assume the driving licence is valid across all of the USA. Like over here in UK once you pass your driving test you can drive anywhere in UK or Ireland and even in European countries as well.

Reply 3356#3356 bala's post

Yes the licenses are valid in any state.  but you have to get your license in the state you live in, I believe.  like if they had less strict rules in the next state over, I couldn't just go there to get my license.  So there are federal laws that apply to licenses (I think it's a federal law that you have to be 16 to get a driver license, but it may be younger) and then states have their own laws within those limits, like the ones I described.

Reply 3357#3357 themegababe's post

I understand that makes sense, i am so glad we don't have this problem over here UK but we do need just update our license when we move to a new place but there isn't any test ,you just pay for new license.

Reply 3357#3357 themegababe's post

From what I've learned living in different states, it depends on the state. Regarding age requirement, in many states you can get a drivers license at 15yo, and in S. Dakota you can get it at 14y 3mo old. Driver license laws differ from state to state, some states (not all), require you to just take the written part of the exam to transfer an out of state license. When I moved to Florida I wasn't required to retake any part of the drivers exam.

As Meg stated if you hold a valid license from any state, you can drive anywhere in the US. If you move to another state, you are required to transfer you license to that state.  

Reply 3325#3325 waterlilybarb's post

Please read this before doing anything drastic.  So called "bio identical" hormones can be very harmful and are something to be avoided.

Bioidentical Hormones
Estrogen is Good. No, It’s Bad. No, It’s Good

by Harriet Hall, M.D.

Menopausal women used to have no escape from the sufferings of the dreaded “Change.” In the mid-20th century, they were offered a reprieve. They could take a pill to replace their missing hormones, and feel back to normal. That was good in itself, but then they found that replacing estrogens could prevent osteoporosis and hip fractures. We knew there were some risks, but we thought the benefits outweighed the risks. Some doctors recommended all menopausal women take estrogens to “stay young.” Then there was more good news: evidence seemed to show that hormone replacement therapy (HRT) could reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, and cancer in postmenopausal women.

The optimism came to a screeching halt in 2002, when the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) study said, “OOPS! It looks like hormones do more harm than good.” Thousands of women were scared into going off their hormones. Sales of Premarin dropped from $2 billion to $880 million. Some of these women tried other remedies and then went back to Premarin because it was the only thing that worked for them. Doctors learned to prescribe more selectively, and sales are rising again.

Now all of a sudden hormones are being touted as a miracle cure for whatever ails you. Suzanne Somers has a new book, Ageless: The Naked Truth about Bioidentical Hormones, recommending everyone take supplemental hormones, even men. My local newspaper has been advertising seminars by an MD on hormones for menopause, weight control, and romance: “Skinny Hormones, Happy Hormones, Youthful Hormones and Sexy Hormones.” Anti-aging clinics and longevity doctors are promoting bioidentical estrogen and progesterone along with testosterone, thyroid, and human growth hormone to prevent aging. What’s going on?
book cover

The claim is that Premarin and Provera, the drugs studied in the WHI study, are artificial and harmful, while bioidentical hormones are natural and harmless. Some also claim that bioidenticals prevent aging and the diseases associated with aging and make people feel better than they ever did before. What is the evidence behind these claims?

First we need to understand what the WHI study really said. It has been misrepresented and misinterpreted. Media reports gave the impression that HRT was killing women. Not so. Over 10,000 person-years, women on estrogen plus progestin had 7 more coronary events, 8 more strokes, 8 more pulmonary emboli, and 8 more invasive breast cancers than women who didn’t take hormones; but they also had 6 fewer colorectal cancers and 5 fewer hip fractures, and the same number of deaths overall.

So women weren’t dying because of HRT, but they were increasing their risk of some diseases while reducing their risk of others. Overall the risks exceeded the benefits. Current recommendations are to use HRT for a limited time only to control menopausal symptoms, and not to use it for disease prevention. Most of us think these recommendations will be altered in the future as we learn more about risk factors and genetic susceptibility. Meanwhile, we try to individualize advice: your doctor is more likely to recommend HRT if you are at very low risk of cardiovascular disease and at high risk of osteoporosis or colorectal cancer.
Evil Big Pharma Plot?

The bioidentical folks tell us that Premarin and Provera are unnatural and harmful substances cynically foisted on us by Big Pharma to make profits. They don’t seem to realize that all doctors are either women, married to women, or sons of women, who presumably are more concerned about women’s health than about Big Pharma profits, and that doctors have read all the same information they have. They recommend estrogens and progesterone from natural plant sources. Premarin comes from pregnant mare’s urine: that seems more natural to me, since we’re much more closely related to a horse, another mammal, than we are to a plant. And the plant isn’t used in a natural form; it’s used as the basis of laboratory synthesis. And there is a reason that we started giving women progestins like Provera instead of natural progesterone: natural progesterone is not absorbed well. Progestins were reliably absorbed and dosage easily controlled.

“Bioidentical” is not standard medical terminology. It’s their way of saying it is the same exact chemical compound found in the human body. But there are lots of different estrogenic compounds found in the body, including estriol, estradiol and estrone. Nothing we do is likely to replace all the estrogenic compounds in exactly the way they occur in the body. There are around 30 different estrogens in Premarin. One, equilin, is present in horses but not in women. Curiously, that “unnatural” element appears to be neuroprotective and is being studied as a possible treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. There’s no solid evidence that any supplemental mixture of hormones is ideal. Anything that has hormonal effects may have hormonal side effects, and for all we know good old Premarin and Provera may be less harmful than some other mixtures.

Compounding pharmacists make up the bioidentical remedies, often in the form of a cream. Advocates themselves recognize that there is inconsistency between pharmacies, and they may have tried two or three different compounders before they hit on one that seems to work consistently for them. In one survey, about a third of the compounded samples tested had substandard amounts of drugs. The FDA is concerned about the growing popularity of compounding and the need for better regulation.

There are hypothetical reasons to think “bioidentical” hormones should be superior to Premarin and Provera. But there are also hypothetical reasons to think that they may be no more effective and no safer. The only way to know for sure is to test them in a properly designed placebo-controlled trial. Until this is done, most of us feel more comfortable with the devil we know than the devil we don’t know.

What other options are there for hot flashes? Several other prescription drugs have been tried, including antidepressants, but they don’t work as well as estrogen and they all have side effects. A number of alternative natural remedies have been tried, from chasteberry to wild yam. According to The Natural Medicines Database there is insufficient evidence to support any of these but black cohosh, soy, and flaxseed; and these are only rated “possibly effective” and “possibly safe.” Black cohosh was the most promising — until a recent well-designed study found black cohosh no better than placebo.
Bioidentical Insanity

Suzanne Somers and others keep harping about “balancing” your hormones. I have difficulty understanding this concept. Hormones are complicated. There are lots of different estrogens; estrogen levels are higher early in the monthly cycle and progesterone peaks later in the cycle: if you graph them, you see that each follows a curve, and the ratio between estrogens and progesterone is constantly changing from day to day and hour to hour. So what can the bioidentical advocates mean when they say they are “balancing” your hormones?

I finally realized that they don’t have any idea what they’re “balancing.” When they do lab tests, they use salivary levels, which they think are more reliable (most endocrinologists disagree). Since they know the test only reflects one instant in time, they feel free to disregard it except as a rough starting point. Instead, they have the patient report any symptoms such as insomnia, dry skin, or lack of energy, interpret those symptoms as signs of unbalanced hormones, and adjust the dosage.

It would be bad enough if they stuck to menopause, but Somers recommends hormone regimens for every age group, including adolescents, and for both men and women.

This creates a scenario where wishful thinking and testimonials take precedence over science, where quackery can go hog wild. Patients get to obsess about every little ache and sniffle, doctors get to tweak their prescriptions, and if patients don’t improve, they just say the balance isn’t quite right yet and they try again. Lots of personal attention and caring. Certainty that they have the answer to all their problems. Enthusiasm over a new method. Oh, and they combine the hormone therapy with all sorts of diet and exercise advice, and with handfuls of supplement pills, detoxifications, homeopathic remedies, and of course the FaceMaster machine that Suzanne sells and uses regularly for electrical facelifts. If you’re still not feeling perfect, you can try going to sleep at 9 PM. And sleeping in total darkness. Or add some testosterone just for the heck of it. There’s always something more to try; there’s always a satisfying explanation for everything.

The doctors who support these true believers are creating an elite following of self-absorbed, self-deluded, obsessive-compulsive health nuts. I suppose it’s nice for these people to have a hobby.

Barb,
I hope you feel better and only wish for the best of health for you but this isn't the way.  This stuff can be quite dangerous and is very expensive to boot.

Thread