Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Reply 2340#2340 meljones_83's post

Well i could wrong-he could be consultant

Reply 2339#2339 bala's post

bala, Although I would never picture you as an accountant, you don't seem the type of person to want to sit and review numbers or do other people taxes. Stuck in an office, all day long. I thought maybe you would be in some type of profession like litigation. If being an accountant is your passion, I'm sure you will have no problem, dealing with others in that profession. Also, I think you are one person that could make the job fun.

Mel, a fun might with my hubby (if her were an accountant), wouldn't be talking about numbers & people's taxes. Talking about and seeing into the minds of children (reading homework), would be fun and interesting. Accounting is usually only fun, to other accountants.

Reply 2342#2342 gypsiegirl66's post

Trust me i wanted movie reviewer but my English sucks since i was good at number i choose to be accountant-i was interested in litigation when i was younger but interns at law office as high school for my work placement i found out it can get very emotional with client espically rape vicutm who court face the person.

so i choose numbers

Reply 2336#2336 gypsiegirl66's post

Thanks Gypsy. It will definitely be something to look forward too !

Thanks for the insight Gypsy. What is your degree in?  That sounds a lot like what I want to do.  I was talking to a prof last night and she said that the non-psychs had the most time with patients. I can't remember what she called them, but they were the people with the patients all day, helping them. While the therapist only sees them for a short time each day.

And yes, you do care a lot about your clients, but it's not a mutual / reciprocal friendship.  And you have to be careful not to care too much, or it could damage you, the therapist. Burnout is one of our biggest dangers! haha

Reply 2345#2345 themegababe's post

The thing I worried about most when starting work was that I would let it take over and affect my personal life - I guess that's probably even tougher when dealing with emotions all day, knowing how to leave it behind when you go home and enjoy your life outside of your job.

This discussion is very interesting, if a little on the serious side!
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

Reply 2345#2345 themegababe's post

I have three degrees, a Masters biochemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology, BS biomedical & health, and a BS psychology.  Your professor may have been talking about psych techs. Yes you usually have a few individual sessions and one group therapy a day. The individual sessions are spread out a few a day over the week, so you can see all the patients. However you can choose to spend time with pts, when your not in session.

Reply 2347#2347 gypsiegirl66's post

I didn't know you had a masters i biochem.  As of now I'm majoring in biochem, but im still a few semesters away from taking the classes for the major.  still working on prerequisites.

So i just found out today that yesterday two of the actors from Greek (Cappie and Rebecca Logan) were at my university!  I can't believe I missed that!  The chances of me actually getting to see them would have been slim, but it would have been fun to try!

Reply 2348#2348 imarielle626's post

That would have been fun. I met Micheal Damien when I was 12 or 13. He did some song for one of the 2 Coreys' movies and was on Young of the Restless. He came to the local radio station to sign autographs and as he was walking up to the table to sit he kissed me on the cheek. I still get all giggly thinking about it. lol

Reply 2348#2348 imarielle626's post

Once you're through you prerequ's, you'll enjoy the class time of college even more. I enjoyed the process of getting my degree's, and loved the subjects I was majoring in. All my friend used to say, I would end up being a professional student. It's funny though, I had gotten my FF & paramedic licenses while I was in High School. While in college, I worked as a FF/medic, as well in a hospital ER, and in psych work. Not all at the same time, and all part time (while in school). I did after I finished grad school, I work both as a FF/medic and in an ER. Then after all my schooling, all I really wanted to do was be a FF/medic. I figured I would do that for a few more years (until I got over needing the adrenalin rush), then maybe become a geneticist or tackle the drug industry (making sure they offered safe products), I saw myself working my way up in the FDA. I saw myself doing a number of things, and with the degrees I had I thought the world was my oyster. I was even considering going back to grad school to finish off my psychology degree. Life however, didn't go that way for me, I started getting sick a 3 1/2 years after I finished grad school, (it took them 2yrs to Dx with me Lupus), and the rest is history.  

It would have been so cool, if you could have at least seen Cappie and Rebecca, bummer. I met a few clebs, when I lived in NY, I met Lauren Bacall late one night walking on 44th st (she was very pleasant), I met Matthew Broderick, as he was coming out of the play "The Producers" he was very nice (and drove a scooter) I saw Sarah Jessica a few times alone with Matthew and alone. When I was visiting family there in 1986/87 I met Michael J. Fox on the set of "The Secret to My Success", he was really nice. My uncle was a cop there, and we went right on the set and talked to him. He was just a regular guy, really took his time talking with us. I saw quite a few celebs in the city, I think it's best if you just let them go about their business. The above situations, were unique kinds of interactions.

Well, I sure have been chatting up a storm lately, I guess it's because I haven't slept since Saturday. The darned insomnia is really making me a bit crazy.
I'm off to get something to eat, although you are all fast asleep (I'm wide awake).

Reply 2332#2332 themegababe's post

Working in a hospital is a much bigger challenge than PP.  In my  hospital the therapists are all basically on call 24/7.  In a way it's worse than being a doctor.  In theory I can get someone to cover for me but once a therapist had built up a bond with a patient you can't have someone else just take over.   If a patient needs you at 4am then you get paged.   Most hospitals don't have such an integrated approach to counseling but it is more common when dealing with children than adults.  Bedside manner is important with kids and most doctors are grateful for the support when dealing with kids.  I have kicked people out of the pediatric surgery residency program for not being able to relate to kids and work with the various therapists in the hospital.  With adults you can be a surgeon and a jerk (unfortunately) but not with children.  I am grateful for any support I can get in dealing with my patients.  I do get involved with my patients and I was never able to become impersonal and detached.  I personally think the best doctors and therapists are the ones who care, but it does take a toll on you personally.  You never forget the ones you lost.   Last Week I had to tell a 16 year old girl she wouldn't live to see her graduation.  What doctor wouldn't be grateful for help in delivering that news.  I have been a doctor for 14 years now and it is just as hard to give news like that as when I was an intern doing it for the first time.  I am sure you will get lots of satisfaction from being a therapist but it does affect you.  You will be able to do it as long as the satisfaction of helping people outweighs the emotional burden you have to bear.

Yeah, we are learning a lot about that emotional toll right now. And how it can affect your marriage because you tend to just shut off when you get home, and that's not fair for your spouse.  I can imagine how hard it would be working in a hospital.  But at the same time, you have to remember the good things you do (like how many lives you have saved).  I know that some days my patients will hate me (for having to be real and break down some tough walls that they are hiding behind) and other days love me (for helping them get through those hard times and making changes on their own), and that's just in a PP setting.  I can't imagine the ups and downs of a hospital setting. But it makes me happy to know that you have kicked people out for being uncaring with children. It would break my heart to know that children are with detached and cold doctors. I can't imagine the fear that would cause.  I know you can't change them all, but we can each do our own part. I think I'm rambling now, so I am going to go back to my reading about family therapy!

I am so happy to hear what great Medical professionals we have here and even the ones studying to be. Being a person who grew up very poor in the USA and usually had no insurance. I still have for the most part had exceptional care from PP. The minute they see I have no insurance and am paying out of my own pocket, I am given alot more of Doctors time and they usually give me what ever drug samples they can and coupons on any prescriptions they do not have samples for. This does not happen when I have insurance so I know they are doing it because they care. So thank you for choosing the professions you have chosen and caring not just collecting a pay check.

Reply 2353#2353 gabsimom's post

I live in Canada and the health care system is socialized so, thankfully payment is never an issue for my patients.  Everyone gets free health care and we are not allowed to bill above what the government pays us (not that I would).  I try to give all my patients as much time as they feel they need and I never let anyone feel pressured to hurry up.  As I think I have mentioned before I went to med school and did my residency in Boston at one of the top hospitals in the US.  It was very hard for me to deal with how differently people were treated based on monetary issues.  I was always trying to find way to give access to some of the facilities that weren't available anywhere else, to people who couldn't afford it.

Reply 2354#2354 cshapiro's post

thats one of the good things about living in the uk. everybody is entitled to free medical care no matter who they are or how much money they have.
hard work never killed anyone... but why take the risk.

Reply 2355#2355 angel-87's post

yep i love the uk

Yeah it would be nice to have free healthcare!  I hate medical bills! haha  I am glad that you have such a good doctor, Tina.  I love when people really care about you and try to do their best to help you. I once had a doctor who barely gave me the time of day, I went in for an "exam" and then she said this was just an info session and i had to reschedule to actually get a physical (which wouldn't have been so bad if i hadn't waited 4 months already, and thought i was getting a physical). But the worst is when doctor's don't believe me. Like I waited until I was married til... you know... haha but she would not believe me and kept trying to make me take tests and get shots (they have these new dumb anti-std shots over here). Yeah. I think the worst thing is when people won't listen to you. I mean, a lot of patients like,  but at least try to believe them! haha

Free healthcare is great, as are good doctors. Unfortunately, the last doctor I saw was horrible and I got home and cried as he was so rude and unhelpful! (I was feeling low anyway, I would normally have just been angry!)
He made me feel like I was wasting his time being there but I had been to an emergency doctor a couple of days before who treated me and was lovely, but said I should see a doctor from my own practice as soon as I could!
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

Reply 2357#2357 themegababe's post

Meg what's your meez doing?  i looks like she is doing aerobics in the kitchen

Living in Canada I'm extremely grateful for access to free health care, especially since I have a chronic illness.  I've had experiences with some really great doctors over the years and some absolute jerks (who have had me leaving in tears too Mel).  My GP is a good doctor but can sometimes be quite tactless - unintentionally.  I've been his patient for years and know not to take it personally, as I hear him chatting with the office staff the same way.  A friend of mine used to go to him too and for her it was not a good match, personality-wise.  She did take everything personally.  If he comes across rude, I tell him.  He appreciates my candor.  I know some of his manner is due to his culture, so I know he isn't trying to be hurtful.  
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Thread