Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Reply 2781#2781 serena75's post

Including the farms and homes that are around the town, but not right in it, the population of this town is around 1400 people.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 2783#2783 serena75's post

There are some very friendly people in this town, but I have found the general personality of the town to be quite apathetic and not very hospitable.  People are busy, which is understandable, but they no longer take the time for little pleasantries.  I've lived in the city for most of my life and have always been one to say hello to people as I walk down the street (especially in residential areas), but you'd think I had grown a 2nd head when I do that here.   Weird.

Thanks so much for your good wishes.  I'll find out tomorrow (edit: Friday) about one of the apartments - my friend has an appointment to view it, but she and another of my friends already met & spoke to the owner.  It sounds promising, so I'm very hopeful that it will suit my needs, and that there will be one less thing to worry about.

Reply 2786#2786 studiojek's post

Wow!  It seems like this pregnancy has just flown by - though it probably doesn't feel like it to you, right about now.    Are you going to have a lengthy maternity leave?  I have no idea what the standard is there, or if it's feasible in your line of work, but I hope so.

I have my car back after being without it for 25 days.  I have some good leads on apartments, so I might just have somewhere to move into come May 1st, and I have a giant house to pack and downsize in order to prepare for the move.  I'm sure hoping they (my friends) find me a nice enough place so I don't have to move again in a very long while.

Reply 2790#2790 shinny's post

Just a side question - is Ciara the feminine of Ciaran?  I'm assuming so...but you know what they say about people who assume. lol

Reply 2791#2791 waterlilybarb's post

OK, I was being lazy.  I looked it up and it is.  So, my other question, is your new niece a dark one?

Reply 2794#2794 shinny's post

That's nice.  I was hoping my youngest nephew (now a year and a half old!) might have some red in his hair (like his Auntie), but it appears that my siblings just don't have enough of me in their genes...they are all half-siblings, though that's only by blood, in reality they are my brothers & sister.   The little guy might wind up being a bit fairer than the others though, although his eyes turned brown quite early (mine are green).  My other niece & nephew both have brown hair & eyes, and are miniatures of my siblings - the oldest boy being my brother's son, and the girl being my sister's daughter...total little mini-mes for each of them. lol  

My youngest brother doesn't have any children, nor is he in a relationship at the moment, but his colouring is the most similar to mine (though not quite as fair-skinned or red-headed) so maybe I'll have one that looks like it could be related to me some time in the future.

YAY!

My friends just called, and I have an apartment!  YIPEE!  Talk about incentive to get my packing done.

Reply 2798#2798 serena75's post

Thanks Serena.  I'm so excited, and am now off to post the deposit.  Things are starting to fall in place.  Relief mixed with joy is a good emotion.

Reply 2801#2801 studiojek's post

That's great!  It will be nice to have that time where you can just focus on the baby and being a new Mum.   

I had a friend who was fortunate enough to go into labour on her last day of work before mat leave (she wasn't due for another week or 2) so she was able to have the whole time with the baby.  She just had her 2nd baby 4 weeks ago and I've never seen someone go from 0-100 so fast, outside of the movies.  She had her daughter within 2 hours of her waters breaking.  I wish you a speedy and healthy delivery too (for both you & your daughter).

Reply 2803#2803 studiojek's post

That's good.  If you're healthy and have had a good pregnancy, I'm sure you have nothing ot be nervous about.  Have you had any of those weird dreams about what the baby will come out as?  My Mum told me when she was pregnant for me she kept dreaming she gave birth to a clown baby - make-up and all.   She wasn't far off - I am quite the character, but I've always wondered if it has anything to do with why I've never liked clowns.

Reply 2805#2805 gypsiegirl66's post

Don't let Gypsy frighten you, with tales from the scary side of labour, Studio (though I know that's not what she meant).   The friend I told you about was only in labour 4-5 hours for her 1st baby.  Every birth is it's own entity, just like every baby.

ARGH!

Finally heard back from the auctioneer.  He isn't planning to do any in this area until June!  I need to sift a heap of stuff before the end of the month.  It's still winter here, so I don't think a yard sale is doable.  Any ideas gals?

Reply 2810#2810 serena75's post

I can't afford to give it to charity, and I'll be 500 miles away in June.  I rang the auctioneer and talked to him.  He didn't get my full message for some reason (the entire inventory) and he's stopping by later today to take a look at the stuff.  He may be able to take & store it (maybe even buy it himself) and put it in a later auction.  

This is all new territory for me.  I will be giving items like clothing and such to charity, but I have furniture and appliances that need to be sold, and I actually need the cash that selling them will bring - however much that might be.  Everything's different in the country...so I learn more & more every day.

Reply 2810#2810 serena75's post

He suggested that I do an indoor yard sale...so you win the prize...which is hard work for me.  YIPEE!  This weekend is out, so I have to organize a stupid yard sale for one of the 2 weekends after this one.  Plus, I still have to pack the house and organize my move on both ends - seeing as I'm moving 500 miles away - AGAIN.  I'm sorry for being such a grouch, but life is sucking today.  The fact that I still haven't slept more than a catnap probably isn't helping my disposition.  I'm going to try and get a bit more sleep - after a cry thinking about all the work I have to do in such a short amount of time.

Reply 2814#2814 shinny's post

Thanks Shinny.   That's what is keeping me going at this point.  I know everything will get done somehow, even if I can't imagine having even a fraction of the energy to do it.

Hi gals,
Only 20 days 'til my move (and 2 weeks until I have to do that stupid yard sake ), so I'm busy, busy, busy.  Yesterday I had a bad spell with the dystonia, and am still feeling the effects today, so can't type very well.  I mightn't be around as much for the next few weeks, but I will check in.

Hi Meg, nice to see you.   I feel for you  - that's a lot to have on your plate all at once.  Glad you have your hubby there to share the load with though.  

Reply 2825#2825 themegababe's post

They'd come in handy.  Boxes are a difficult commodity to come by up here...but I'm getting them.  I can't wait until this time next month.  The biggest part will be over and I'll be near my friends & family.

Reply 2827#2827 studiojek's post

Got some packing done today, but it seems more like I've got a lot of stuff to bring to the dump.   My one peeve about it is I have to use my hard to come by boxes to transport some of the stuff to the dump.  I'm very hopeful I'll get a lot more good ones (boxes that is) this week.  

I've also been sorting as I go so I've set aside some of the things that can go in the yard sale.  I've never done one before, so I've been doing my research online, and I'll have help from others that have hosted them before.  Anything big that doesn't move I'll have to donate, which sucks...not that I'm averse to donating.  I just don't know if the places up here pick up large items, so I may have to figure a way to get them to the charity shop anyway.

Two weeks from now is the sale.  I hope I can unload all the stuff I can't take with me, and make a bit of money out of it...(that would also solve the transport problem to the charity shop).  It sure would help pay for the moving costs, expecially because I'm still in debt from the move up here last summer.   If you can avoid it, I don't recommend long-distance moves, especially more than 1 within 9 months time.  WAY too much work & expense.

We used to have a thread for easy recipes, but I can't find it, so I thought I'd share this with you here.

I suggest using an extra large mug, as that worked best for me.  I also did reduce the oil by a tablespoon or by half and increased the milk by the same, at the suggestion of my friend who sent it to me.  It was YUMMY and hit the chocolate spot.    
Talk about a TV snack!  A nice big piece of chocolate cake in about 5 minutes.  Can't beat that.  Try it, and enjoy!

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.  Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
(I have a 700 watt microwave and cooked it between 4 1/2 - 5 minutes.)

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Reply 2830#2830 studiojek's post

Boxes are harder to get because it's such a small town that when the stores get deliveries there aren't as many boxes to begin with, and if anyone else needs them too you're really stuck.   Post Office is a no go here, the liquor store is the best bet.  Next Friday is their next delivery and I have already asked the store in my town & the next one over to save me the boxes.  I just have to call and remind them.  I have to go into the city again tomorrow, so am hoping to get some more there too.

You're welcome for the recipe.  I might just have to make myself another mug of cake.  I had some help packing today (which was great - got a lot of the kitchen done), but am feeling pretty crappy (which isn't so great).  Chocolate often helps, so I may give it a try.

Thread