Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Reply 2687#2687 studiojek's post

Congratulations on the news!   I have to agree with sddv - Girls rock!

Reply 2686#2686 imarielle626's post

Good for you Arielle.  I know how important Israel is to you, especially after spending so much time there.  I'm sure they are grateful for all willing workers.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 2692#2692 studiojek's post

I was thinking the same thing.

Reply 2694#2694 bala's post

I have no idea, but I just had a giggle thinking of a new gal joining us here in our never ending hen party...even a tiny new gal.

Reply 2696#2696 commando's post

Nice to see you again commando.   We do our best to keep ourselves entertained.

Reply 2700#2700 studiojek's post

I caught up on Lost the other night, and really enjoyed it - so you & your husband should have a nice night in.  I won't say relaxing because, if you're anything like me, watching Lost has me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Shinny - I definitely don't think it's sad.  I intend to do much the same this evening.   

WINTER!

I actually love winter, but I feel like having a wee rant this evening.

It has been warming up here over the past couple days...if that could even be the term for it.  I went to the bank yesterday and we were commenting that -10C seemed warm compared to the -30C we had been having the last week or so.  Tonight I turned on the weather channel to see what to expect tomorrow.  I was delighted to see it had gone up to -5C only to see that it's supposed to be back down to -23C overnight & -18C by the morning.  How is a body supposed to acclimate so quickly.  To those of you in warmer climes - it might seem that all of these temperatures are cold, but everything is relative.  A nearly 20 degree change overnight is just too much.  We still have at least another month and a half of winter weather, so I guess this is just the mid-winter blahs hitting.  I'm just tiring of wearing at least 3 layers of clothing every time I want to leave the house.

Reply 2705#2705 studiojek's post

Totally off topic, but Studio - are you completely off caffeine during your pregnancy?  I'm just curious because I currently am for health reasons.  I really miss chocolate & a proper cup of tea.   I tried to have some the other day (chocolate, that is) and it was a very bad idea.  I hope it won't be for much longer, but if you're off it too I thought we could commiserate a little.

Reply 2707#2707 shinny's post

We do have good decaffeinated tea, but I can always tell the difference, so I've been opting for herbal varieties instead.  I bet your Dad did actually notice something different about the tea, but just couldn't put his finger on it until you told him.   My friend also uses decaf tea, and didn't even remember to mention it - but when I drank it, I knew there was something missing.  Could be because I drink my tea strong & black, so the flavour of the tea is what I notice.

Reply 2710#2710 studiojek's post

I'm glad for you.   I know it's not necessary for pregnant women to eliminate caffeine all together, but I know some who do.  I, too, can tell the difference between regular & decaf coffee, and I'd rather have something else (almost anything else) rather than the decaf.

For me, it's stress that's causing my problem, and it's affecting my sleep, as well as causing some palpitations if I have any caffeine.  For me, stress almost always manifests physically rather than emotionally, so I'm being smart...I'll just be glad when this passes and I can enjoy a good cuppa or a bit of chocolate again.  Herbal teas are lovely, but they're just not the same.  Plus, I can't even take one of my migraine meds at the moment, because one of the active ingredients is caffeine (8mg in one tablet) so that's a bit of a hassle.  Thank heavens I haven't had too many migraines lately.

Reply 2712#2712 shinny's post

I haven't taken milk in my tea since I was about 12 years old.  My friend & I used to visit her older sister, who was pregnant and fairly newly married, so we didn't want to use up her groceies.  I got so used to drinking it black that I can't bear it with milk anymore.  As for liking it strong, I put that down to my Grandpa.  There was always a pot ready for him and he liked the bags left in.  I'm not as bad as that (stewed tea is NOT tasty), but it did leave me with a preference for having it strong.  My cousins are the same (their spouses wonder at us all)...but we all spent summers with the Grandparents.   

BTW, which blend do you prefer?  I've not had Barry's tea (googled it and found it to be distintive to Ireland), but generally like orange pekoe, Earl Grey or good black tea for everyday drinking.  I do like green tea as well, but just don't find it hits the same spot when I want a good cuppa.

Reply 2714#2714 imarielle626's post

I love a good chai latte, but the spices have to be fresh.  Other than that, I do not like milk in any tea.  I've tried it, seeing as I used to drink it with milk when I was younger, but it just doesn't taste right to me.  It's similar with coffee.   I don't normally drink much coffee, but I used to think I didn't like it at all - because most people put cream in it (at least they do here).  I was visiting a friend of mine and she put milk in her coffee.  I tried it like that and found I enjoyed it.  It was the creamy texture that turned me off.  So I do take milk in my coffee - but no sugar in anything.  I like the bit of bitter taste that both coffee & tea can have.  When I have sore throat is the only time I will add anything - and that is honey & lemon - to my tea.  I guess I am quite particular, now that I see it all in writing.   My friend told me I was, but I didn't really believe her.   I do now.

Here's your "AWW" for the day. Enjoy!

Heya Gals!

I got struck with one of the viruses going around, so I doubt I'll post much in the next couple days...unless insomnia kicks in.  Currently, I'm very tired, so I'm out of here for now.

Reply 2727#2727 shinny's post

Thanks Shinny!   

I'm right in the middle of this flu now, and am feeling positively dreadful.   Everything I eat or drink is now starting to hurt my guts - which is wasn't doing until last night.   I'm trying to say hydrated, but this is making it much more challenging.  I usually like living alone, but when I'm sick like this, I wouldn't mind someone around to fetch me things.  The cats are useless in that regard.

Studio - I can just imagine how exhausted you are.  Is your hubby a hard or easy patient?

Serena - sorry to hear you've been ill too.  SO not fun.  Hope you start feeling well soon, and that the cough gives you a break.

SUCKY, SUCKY, SUCKY!

I used to really like winter, but living in the north would give anyone pause for thought.

I just remembered that I had to put out the garbage - which is fine.  The problem is, I'm still sick with the stupid flu and we've had snow & wind all weekend.  I had to trudge through a foot of snow to get to the end of my driveway, which has AT LEAST 2 feet of snow piled on it from the snowplow.  I'm thoroughly exhausted and I can't even think about how much snow will be there when I finally have to dig myself out.  I'll probably have to call someone to plow me out, which, of course, will cost money that I'd rather spend elsewhere...like on gas for my car.   Once again I say: sucky, sucky, sucky!

OK, I know I sound like a big whinger, but it's getting very frustrating up here.  I still have this stupid flu, and I had to go out today.  My car is snowed in, so I walked up to the pharmacy (not too bad - quite close) and post office.  By the time I got home I was completed exhausted.  I tried to shovel some of the snow off of the porch & sidewalk, because it's snowing again and we're supposed to get at least 15cm (or about 6 inches).  I did half of it before collapsing on the ground in the snow.  The elderly man next door must have seen me, because he came knocking and finished shovelling my sidewalk - very, very nice. :) That was the highlight of my day so far.

Nothing in this town delivers (excuse me, the grocery store does, but only after you go and do your shopping), so I can't order anything in - even if I wanted to.  If I lived in the city I could call the drug store and they would deliver whatever I needed...plus, it's bigger there, so they carry some grocery items.

Sorry for being such a complainer, but I'm not used to feeling so isolated - even when I've been sick.  Small town living is all well and good, if you live in some other small town, but I can't wait to move back to civilization.

Reply 2737#2737 gypsiegirl66's post

Thanks gals.   I'm not moving until the end of April - which is about when spring should be underway up here.  I think they deliver groceries to people who don't have vehicles, but I agree with you Gypsy.  There are plenty of older folks in this town, and I'm sure they would appreciate home delivery (and shopping) if they called in a grocery list.

Shinny - I usually feel better in the rain, so I'd probably feel not too bad in Ireland.  An old friend of mine, who has since passed away, was from England, and she always said I would probably fair better in that climate, since it's generally not as extreme in variations as it can be here.

There are nice people in this town!

OK, I know my last couple of posts have been rants about winter, but I had a nice surprise today.  I think my neighbour (the elderly gentleman) must have said something to whoever plows his driveway, because my driveway and sidewalk are cleared today. We had more snow last night, and my car & porch still need to be cleaned off, but that was such a treat to look out and see.  I'm still not feeling too spiffy, but at least I'm not trapped...and I might just go get a few supplies from the grocery store.  I need some juice and soup (I don't feel up to making homemade yet), so once I get myself into something other than my pjs I'll head out.

Reply 2740#2740 studiojek's post

That's my plan.  There are some pretty decent ready to eat tinned soups, so I'm going to get a bunch of those.  I keep microwavable stuff on hand too.  It's handy when I'm not up to cooking, and there are some healthier choices now.  What I'd really like is cookies, so I'm going to get some.  Don't know if I'll actually be able to eat them yet, but it will be nice to have them for when I want them.

Still trying to work up the energy to get dressed and brave the cold.  Apparently it feels like -29C today.  Kind of takes the wind out of ones sails when thinking about going out, but c'est la vie en Canada.

Reply 2742#2742 studiojek's post

Yeah, I have one of those - but since I'm in a different house, I can't figure out where to plug it in from inside.

I made it to the store.  It took me half an hour just to get the snow & ice off of my car.  I didn't bother getting dressed though, since I feel so crappy.  I put my long coat & high boots on over my pjs.   If anyone noticed, they didn't say anything.  I don't really care - at least I got what I needed.

Thread