Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

Reply 80#80 casper27's post

I always forget there's a difference when it comes to electronics.  Anybody know why?  Just curious.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 80#80 casper27's post

Check it out with them because I got this from an Irish website where someone had bought it from them. Now, they could have bought their xbox overseas too, but worth checking it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by dognxtdoor at 5-10-2008 06:33  
Sorry Bala...2 to 1.....I think it will get lost here......
Let's hope so

Ok so that website doesn't specify the compatibility so you'd have to mail them. But play asia does. They are not back in stock until May 20th but that's only 10 days away.

It's compatible with NTSC-J (Asia) and PAL (Europe) www.playasia.com/gta

Reply 81#81 waterlilybarb's post

For instance, the PS3 is not region dependent, which means you can get the games anywhere. The Xbox is not region free which means that it's left up to the game makers whether they region specify it or not.

On the electronical side too the voltage in the States/Canada is much lower than here. So, some of the electrical goods bought in US/Canada will not work properly here unless you have a converter (not an adapter, that's different) to convert the voltage.

The adapter works for the plugs (because they are different) - So for instance if you bought a laptop in Australia and brought it back to Ireland, all you would need is an adapter (for the plug) as we are on the same voltage. If you bought it in the states, you'd need a converter to break down the voltage otherwise it will burn out the laptop.

Our electrical goods work in the states, but at half the voltage. So, a hair dryer will be much much less powerful on the 110 voltage than it would be at home at 220 voltage. It basically cuts it in half. So, last time I was away I bought a US hairdryer that I bring with me.

[ Last edited by shinny at 5-10-2008 13:32 ]

Reply 85#85 shinny's post

Thank you for explaining that to me.  I knew it had something to do with the voltage - because I've read the info to bring converters when you travel, but I've never travelled overseas, so hadn't done the actual homework to understand why there was such a difference.  

I know that the DVD players and discs are different too, which sucks.  They do sell machines that can play the discs from various regions, but I'm willing to wait.  I noticed that when I was looking to see when McLeod's Daughters was coming out on DVD, and it obviously comes out in Australia first.  North Americans have to wait at least several months before the reformatted discs are available, so I just wait and rent them then.  

You'd think with all the bright minds they'd be able to make a universal machine that would play anything from anywhere.  Of course, they wouldn't make as much money, so I guess I just answered my own question.

Reply 86#86 waterlilybarb's post

plus mark-up on DVD would reduce buy latest movie for 2 dollors in ASIA instead typical 15 dollors in usa

Reply 87#87 bala's post

Yep.  It's all about the $$.

Reply 88#88 waterlilybarb's post

however there are universal player but there are very expensive

What's a universal player?

Reply 90#90 moppybrody's post

Reply 89#89 bala's post

I know.  That's what I was referring to here:
Quote:
They do sell machines that can play the discs from various regions
, but they cost too much for the couple of things I'd like...especially when I can just wait a little bit and be able to see them anyway.

Reply 91#91 bala's post

They are not that expensive anymore, pretty much run of the mill here now. I have one and it wasn't expensive at all.

Reply 86#86 waterlilybarb's post

Yeh, it's all about money.

I suppose not much can be done about the voltage differences because it would cost way too much money for countries on the 110v to upgrade to 220 and for the rest of us to downgrade wouldn't really make sense.

But NTSC and PAL really should be standardised or at least make the consoles/players accept all versions, like the PS3 is now, as part of the norm.

Region free dvd players are not that expensive!! actually most of the real cheapy players are region free.  since half of my dvd collection is region 1 (canadian) and the other half is region 2 (irish) so i've gone through a couple of dvd players.  at the moment i'm using a phillips region free dvd player i picked up for about 70 euro.  
the best thing to do when buying a dvd player is ask if it's region free cause most of the time they just hand over a set of codes that unlock the regions.

also when traveling with your laptop to different places most of the time you only need a plug adapter , the big black box thingy (yes this is my tech talk) on the cord can actually change the country voltage to the voltage  the laptop requires.  this also saves your laptop from lightening strikes and such.

"Don't warn the tadpoles!"
"Don't warn the tadpoles?"
"I... I have frog fear." -- Willow

Reply 95#95 kwargalla's post

Yeh, my DVD player was around the same price. Cheap as chips now.

That's true about the laptop adapter because it has the built in surge control (or voltage converter) - I know some other electronical equipment has this, but unfortunately a lot of it doesn't !!

I bought the nintendo DS lite in New York when I was there last year because it's so much cheaper than here and they tried to sell me a converter for $50. I was like "eh no thanks, do you have any car chargers?" - which they did, at $9 so I just charge it up in the Car !

Since we are on the topic of technology i still get mp3 player thing, i miss the good old days CD/Cassettes , anyway from what i gather from cousins you install package that mp3 player than put music from pc into I-pod and listen to it. i just don't get all different formats stuff like that. mp3,mpeg4 quicktime,wmv can all be played i-pod?

Reply 95#95 kwargalla's post

I know they sell them here at Canadian Tire for quite a reasonable price.  It makes sense for you, since you've lived in both places, but seems kind of pointless if you're planning to stay in one country (like me).

Good to know about the laptop adapters though.

Reply 91#91 bala's post

Oh I already have one of those but here we call them multi-region dvd players

Only cost me $50

Reply 99#99 moppybrody's post

yep that's a different name for it

Thread