30 12
Thread
Printable Version

Stargate SG-1 Season 1-10 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

WEll, since I know absolutely nothing, I may as well ask a question.

SG 1 = Stargate. And that's kind of the mother. Stargate Atlantis then was a spin-off, right? Where there other spin-offs? Like with Star Trek, didn't that also have STar Trek Voyager and whatnot, which I guess was also a spin-off - or a continuation - of some sort?

I know as much about Star Trek as I know about Star Gate.   That feels absolutely weird.

I'm in the race, gate or not.l

Quote:
Originally posted by ms.smith at 11-28-2007 18:18  
WEll, since I know absolutely nothing, I may as well ask a question.

SG 1 = Stargate. And that's kind of the mother. Stargate Atlantis then was a spin-off, right? Where there other spin-offs? Like wi ...
Right so i will see if i can explain, firstly i am not an expert on this so i will bow to another more educated reply.
Stargate the series was brought out after the success of Stargate- The movie, so i suppose the series was a spin off from the movie. The series follows the events after where the movie left off.
After a few years and because of the popularity of the Stargate series, Stargate Atlantis was brought out as a spin off series from Stargate (SG1). The time lines of both SG1 and Atlantis ran parallel and sometimes ientertwined.

Star Trek is somewhat similar but different in ways. As far as i know, the original Star Trek was a stand alone show which ran in its own timeline. Star Trek- The next generation also began as a stand alone show which i wouldnt consider a spin off as it is based something like 200 years after the original Star Trek. It was a continuation of a theme but a new story.
Now Star Trek - The next generation series became popular and inspired two other spin off shows. Star Trek - Deep Space 9 & Star Trek - Voyager where all three ran more or less in the same timeline and often intertwined. Then came Star Trek - Enterprise which is based on a timeline before the original Star Trek So therefore wasnt a spin off IMHO.
But this all comes down to what a spin off is, i think its a story that runs parallel with the timeline of the original show. New shows are often created on the popularity of the original but i wouldnt deem them direct spin off shows.

So in surmizing.... Atlantis is a spin off show off Stargate which is a spin off series from the movie Stargate....ehhh crystal clear??

I could be wrong about the Star Trek thing cos im not a big fan of Star Trek but i think thats right.
Stargate would kick Star Treks ass anyway... so there.... fight fight fight..

Hmm, from the 9 episodes that I have watched; I think that my favorite moments were in Singularity when Cassandra runs and hugs Sam and asks her not to go, in Brief Candle when Jack and his young bride take a walk along the beach at night and how she loves him despite how he has aged, in The Torment of Tantalus how Dr. Ernest Littlefield's love for Catherine kept him alive all those years, and finally in Thor's Hammer how the team refused to leave without Teal'c. I think its a really good show and little moments like those really touch. I know that I haven't really even "scraped the surface" of the show, but I really appreciate those little moments that I have experienced in that little amount of episodes and I welcome the great moments to come with future episode. I have never seen any bloopers or anything but as for humor, I really enjoy Jack's little comments. I think that they come at the best times.   I am in the race.
Recent Ratings

Reply #22 luimni's post

oh, it is so on. don't be disrespecting the star treks, man star trek could kick any other sci-fi series's butt with its little toe (alright, with the admitted exception of dsn where they really have to stretch to get the "trek" in). the star trek series can beat anything in any other sci-fi show hands down:

jean luc (tng) is more noble and inspiring than commander adama (bsg)
q's powers (tng) beat peter petrelli's abilities (heroes)
data's deadpan efficiency (tng) beats holly's deadpan efficiency (red dwarf)
spock's powers of deductive reasoning (original star trek) beat mulder's hunches (x-files)
     ok, maybe that one we'll give you but it's close
the campy theme of the original series beats the campy theme of farscape
kirk's overacting (original star trek) beats holographic al's overacting (quantum leap)
the temporal cold war (st enterprise) beats the butterfly effect of journeyman and a time lord's technology (dr. who)
the lostness of voyager beats the lostness of lost in space......

believe us, we could go on this way for a good while. maybe now you understand why ms.smith thinks we all speak chinese! perhaps we do watch a little too much sci-fi
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

oh, and instead of spin-offs we call them sequels (or prequel in the case of enterprise which supposedly took place before the time frame of the original series). they all exist within the same universe and characters can move from one show to another with their entire past storyline intact (i.e. vulcan's are very long-lived so spock showed up in tng, as did scotty who was caught in a temporal loop and thus hadn't aged since the original series and both worf and o'brien moved from tng to dsn, etc).

alright, alright. we see your eyes have glazed over already but we feel it is our duty to inform and educate you all for when star trek finally gets here!
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

Oh Oh its so so so on......
Teal'c would kick the living daylights out of Worf
Sam would outsmart Data with her ingenious outside the box thinking

Ok Ok lets not get into this it could all end in tears (more than likely me doing the crying)
My knowledge of  Trek is not the best so i dont have many specific examples so i would probably loose this argument.
I still stand by me calling them spin offs, sequels & prequels are different parts of the same story while a spin off is a different story in the context of the others e.g. DS9 & Voyager. I aint budging on this one and i dont care if im wrong, ignorance is bliss and im happy with it.
I aint going to comment on timetravel and especially paradoxes, i am taking the Janeway/O'Neill attitude on that one and not going to reply...
Nah i wasnt and still aint respecting Star Trek. Its a good show but I never really got into it.
Oh and yes, you do watch too much TV...... (cant keep a straight face typing that, there is no such thing as too much TV)
I declare a truce between SG and ST (for now)

Reply 26#26 luimni's post

As a fan of both Stargate AND Star Trek (in all their incarnations) I have to say the little battle you and sddvasquez have going on has proven rather amusing.  I'll refrain from adding my 2 cents, but thanks for the laugh.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

stargate isnt my think but i like atlantis a bit

i am in the race
TNA TNA TNA TNA TNA!!!!!

Mmmh may have to revist my love for Stargate :-)

Used to watch it religiously almost up till the end ...... and then I kind of tailed off (seriously cannot remember why)
Watched a few episodes of Atlantis but it didnt really click with me at the time - maybe in the New Year I should try that again!

OK - off to rekindle my love of SG1 by watching 115 for the SG1 quiz

i miss this show
The Mod Police Are Watching You

30 12
Thread