30 12
Thread
Printable Version

Stargate SG-1 Season 1-10 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Stargate SG-1 Season 1-10 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discuss Anything SG1 Here, favorite moments, things you hated, Bloopers, whatever you want within forum rules.

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 3-4-2015 12:24 ]

Hmm, what can I say about SG-1 season 1? I think I'm going to go with a very general discussion on my thoughts of it. (Sorry, am really just typing exactly what I'm thinking!)
I am a fan of Stargate - it is what I would probably call 'typical' sci-fi. I love the fact they took the idea from a movie and really developed it into a great long-running series.

Season 1 is by no means the best but it is a very solid start to the show, it does it's job of introducing all the characters, starting to develop them and getting you to understand them and become emotionally attached to them. I think that is down to some great writing and really good actors that seem to have connected with their characters. I can't say that there was anything I hated about season 1 but there are definitely some moments that don't live up to the otherwise high Stargate standard.

My favourite episode is 'There but for the grace of God' because I like shows that explore a different reality and what could have been, sci-fi is one of the few genres that can explore this without it seeming ridiculous! (Plus the fact it's a well written episode!)
I also like the fact that it was left on a cliffhanger at the end of the series. (I probably wouldn't have thought that if I'd watched it when it first aired and had to wait for season 2 though!)

[ Last edited by  meljones_83 at 11-15-2007 00:05 ]
Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +3 Bonus! 11-14-2007 16:19
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

What I love most about SG-1 is that it is set now and not some far off future. Also how it plays off our world mythologies and cultures. Look at Omaroca could she have been our mermaid myth. It does leave you wondering if Humans are the cockroaches of the Milkyway and Pegasus Galaxies. Because we seem to be everywhere.

The change from movie to series was well done too.

Could they have chosen a better actor than Michael Shanks to play the James Spader character of Doctor Daniel Jackson?

Not in my casting book they couldn't.

The reality of the show, perhaps more so the contemporary setting certainly gives the characters straight from our own history a sense of life they would otherwise be lacking.
Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +2 Bonus! 11-16-2007 20:02
Natural Medicine.

hmmm...where to start

imo  alot of movie to series dont live up to the movie for me...but this one does

i love the fact that it could happen...lol

some of my fav moments are.....when we first meet Teal'c  he had that sad puppy dog face saying...but i have no where to go...aweeeeeeee....jack always being a smarta**...that never gets old...and carter giving "the boys" what for when she first came on...lol a shocking moment for me was when they showed full frontal nudey....i couldnt believe they did that...dont know if it was on tv or just on the dvd, i had to hurry up and cover the 6 yr old eyes...lol...but i really could go on forever with this so i have to say my all time fav of the 1st season would be.......Solitudes  in the bloopers they mess with RDA about his yrs on Macgyver....heehee was very funny and he didnt have a clue they were gonna do it...lmao

i'm in the race
Recent Ratings
Come Over To The Dark Side, We Have COOKIES!!!!!!

I'm not sure what else to add to this discussion!
I agree with gabsimom that it's more interesting because it isn't set in the future and it always makes me wonder what other races might be out there that we haven't discovered, and whether we are capable of producing the technology to go and visit them.
I loved the opening double episode of SG-1 (despite the nudity! I do not object to nudity but it did seem a little odd to me here!), it was definitely one that made me want to keep watching the show - I hadn't actually seen the film until after the TV show so it wasn't that making me watch it.
I think that's all I can add to my original thoughts!

(I'm in the race!)
Recent Ratings
"You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!"

not really watched much of the stargate series but after watchin the episode i needed to for the amazing race i think im gonna start again....was great,

i am in the race

[ Last edited by cockyone at 11-27-2007 21:29 ]

I agree with the transition from movie to television series was very well done.  Linking and expanding the story line at the same time. Also continuing with the Egyptian gods allowed them to eventually expand and explore other cultures mythologies.

Well done in deed.

I am in the race.

[ Last edited by bms102581 at 11-28-2007 13:45 ]

not so sure this is something i could watch on a regular basis , odd episodes here n there but find alot of the sci-fi have very similar story lines and get a little repetitive

i am in the race

[ Last edited by yizzal at 11-27-2007 21:03 ]
Recent Ratings

Like Cockyone I have not really gotten into Stargate SG1 the series.  I liked the movie and found it was really well done.  I loved the egypt themed myths mixed with the aliens.  I thing about the series is I find the character very whiny.  I just watched episode 15 from season one and maybe it wasn't the best to re-interduce myself to the series but I just find that the characters are stuck into a mold and very rarely break out of it.  I would be willing to try another episode before I make my final decision on the series if anyone can tell me which episode may change my outlook.
thanks

i am in the race!
Recent Ratings

"Don't warn the tadpoles!"
"Don't warn the tadpoles?"
"I... I have frog fear." -- Willow

Reply 10#10 kwargalla's post

Check out the tournament. The best episodes in our opinions have the highest points. Personally I love the 1st eppy - the nudity. But some of the others might disagree.

well, we really loved the movie so it was good that the new cast did not "interrupt" the flow of the idea. plus michael shanks is a bit more believable than james spader (really, who would mistake him for an academic! ) and mcgyver is great anywhere (ok, we won't go all selma and patty on you but you've got to admit he's the can-do guy).

what we really love about sg-1, however, is teal'c! strong and silent, strict moral code... ok, we like him a little better with hair but he totally rocks with that bald noggin

our major gripe with the series is the constant need to make sure there are only 3 seconds left that the team can get out through the stargate. really, would the situation be any less tense if they actually had a minute or two leeway?

we're in the race!
Recent Ratings
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

i wish it were a daniel frontal...heehee
Come Over To The Dark Side, We Have COOKIES!!!!!!

I saw the film years ago and thought it was ok but im not the biggest kurt russel fan anyway. The series was a huge improvment on the film. Even without the big budget effect the first series had compared to the later series.
RDA is supurb as o'Neill, no one can use sarcasim like Jack.
I love they way the show pokes fun at itself from time to time and it often refers to other shows which is not usually done (bar cartoons).  Like the way Jack occasionally mentions his love for the simpsons or the episode Jack and Teal'c get stuck in a tme loop ala groundhog day, and Jack blatently refers to being stuck in groundhog day. Even when Sam says to jack that she Macguyvered something together in one episode. (To be honest i cant remember which episode it was but i know i saw it and im certain it wasnt some out-take)
That reminds me have you seen this  SG1 out take on youtube - you may have seen it before but its class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3L-JYzk&feature=related

Oh yeah I AM IN THE RACE.....
Recent Ratings

Reply 14#14 luimni's post

Too Funny. lmao.

Hmm...I never got into the Stargate shows. I don't really know what it is, but I just couldn't seem to get into it. I've watched a few of the episodes including #115. There are ones that I like, though. I might have to watch a few more to see if I can get into it. I haven't tried in a long time. It won't hurt to try.

I am in the Race
Recent Ratings
House: Okay, you two grab some scalpels and settle this like doctors.

never watched any of the shows before...but i gotta say...i like the idea of it.
maybe i can use some of the points i earn to start watching em

i am in the race

[ Last edited by Myaers at 11-28-2007 06:26 ]
Recent Ratings

I AM IN THE RACE

The Stargate movie was one of my favorite movies. Daniel was my favorite character.  I started watching the episodes hoping that they were as good as the movie but I just couldn't get into watching them.  A couple of the episodes I really enjoyed.  I still like Daniel and I am starting to like Teal'c.
Recent Ratings
Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear.

First series is the best

The episode ides in the first series are so much better than the later series as they seem to run out of ideas and just stretch the premice too far and the show started really good but I'm sorry to say that i feel tha it has declined as time has gone by.

Sorry if people don't agree with me but just my opinion.

I am in the race
Recent Ratings

I never got into stargate and listening to people talking about it is just like listening to Trekkies - they may as well speak chinese. All those planets and cultures and languages and weird names --- whoee. and how many different stargate spinoffs are there?

I am in the race. I guess. ??
Recent Ratings

30 12
Thread