132 1234567
Thread
Printable Version

Numb3rs Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Numb3rs Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

OK, so no one has started a proper thread yet to chat about the new season.  Here it is.

What did you think of episode 1...and the revelation that Colby was a triple agent?  I knew he wasn't a baddie, but I hadn't guessed that.  I guess I didn't think he was bright enough, but I underestimated him.  It will be interesting to see how his character is accepted by the team.  We now know he's decided to stay, but will they ever fully trust him?

Don is his usual self, but the team now knows of his relationship with Liz.  Should prove for some interesting office dynamics.

Charlie and Amita seem to be doing well, and Charlie's even branching out more in the academic field.

Larry is back, which I love, and it looks as if he and Megan are finished as a couple.  He's such a great character though...I really missed his presence last season.

Last, but not least, is Alan...our favourite dad.  Looks like he's heading back to school.  It's not been mentioned in the show yet, but I wonder if he and Millie are still "hot & heavy".

Please, let me know what you think of the season, so far.  I'm waiting to have someone to talk to about this show besides my Mum.

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 3-3-2015 12:37 ]
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

I was upset at the end of last season that Colby was a "bad guy" so finding out he was actually a good guy was a relief.  David, i think, took the blow of Colby's secrecy the hardest becasue they were partners, but I was glad to see that he hung the fishing hook from Colby's father.  Hopefully now they can rebuild their trust and be the team we know and love.

Don is happy and has a steady girlfriend for once, which is good for him.  Hopefully it won't cause too many interoffice problems though.

I really like Charlie and Amida.  Their relationship sure has grown a lot in the past seasons.  I'm glad they finally worked it out and are happy together!

I didn't get the feeling that Larry and Megan were finished as a couple.  I though they looked happy.  She seemed very supportive of his living in a monestary (which i hope is just a phase because i miss prof. fleinheart)

I think its good Alan is going back to school.  He needs something to do cuz if you notice he is ALWAY home lol  Good for him!

I wonder what kind of guest stars will be coming on NUMB3RS this season.  I hear Bill Nye may make another appearance =)

Reply #2 imarielle626's post

The reason I said it looks like Larry and Megan were done as a couple is because when someone, I think it was Alan or Charlie, asked how they were doing, Larry said fine seeing as they were spending all of their time apart.  Prior to that comment I thought they were still fine, though, even if they're not a couple I imagine they will remain friends.  Maybe after what they've both been through in their personal lives, neither of them is in a position to be in a romantic relationship, at the moment.  I also think Larry hinted that he would be leaving the monestary soon.  Didn't he remark that the monks were tiring of him, or something to that effect?

You're right about David.  He seems to have taken Colby's secrecy the hardest and, I imagine, it will be some time before he fully trusts Colby again.  Seeing him return the "woolly bugger" was nice.  It was a step in the right direction.  I think, as you said, it's especially hard for him because they were partners, but also because they were friends.  It will be interesting to see how the writers repair this friendship.

With Alan back in school, maybe we'll see a bit more of him.  I love Judd Hirsch, and don't think they've used his character to the full.  I really liked when he was helping Charlie, last season, with one of the cases he was working on for the FBI.  With him at CalSci now, maybe he'll stick his oar in a little more.  He's also a very smart man.

I'm also waiting to see if something happens with Megan.  I know the actress was out on maternity leave last season, but her character was doing something for the DOJ in Washington, and Megan hasn't been the same since her return.  Hopefully they'll have an episode that addresses the reason for the change in her demeanor.

As for guest stars, I'd love if they brought Lou Diamond Phillips back again.  The storylines with him are always good.  I'd like to see Bill Nye again too.  He does make science fun.

I just watched episode five, and I'm have to say i'm glad Colby ad David are working things out.  They may not be 100% back to their old pair, but they are coming close.

I also like the way Charlie and Amida's relationship is expanding.  I was a little afraid for them after the whole thing about her dad, but I'm glad to see everything work out fine.  It will be interesting to see their dads interact together.

I'm glad Larry is finally leaving the monestary.  he could only spend so much time there.  it also looks like he and Megan are going to pick things up again.  I always like them together so I hope it works out.

The case I though was a little boring and weird.  It was lacking in action, and I don't agree with Don's choice in letting the guy walk away.  He may have been stealing for good causes, but it still was a felony.  But I think the writers wanted to focus more on the drama in this episode than the action.

Reply #4 imarielle626's post

I really enjoyed this episode.  It's kind of nice that Colby & David aren't picking up right where they left off.  That wouldn't be realistic considering the circumstances.  But it's great to see them beginning to gel again and to rebuild their friendship.  It also provided some humour, seeing them make "rookie" mistakes by their miscommunications.

I'm delighted that Larry & Megan are still going to be a couple...they're an odd match, but seem a good fit for one another.  I'm also glad that Larry recognizes the need to re-enter the world and that the time for introspection has reached an end.  I'm sure he'll continue to be an introspective character, but I miss his interactions with the outside world.  It will be nice to have that again.  It was also nice to see him helping Alan to fit in with the students by freezing the pumpkin to drop off the building.  Boys will be boys no matter what their age.

I wasn't worried about Charlie & Amita, because I assumed the reason she was hesitant about introducing him to her father was because he wasn't Indian.  I have many Asian friends...especially Indian and Chinese...and I know this can be a big issue for the parents.  I loved her idea of introducing their fathers, and I agree that it will be fun to see the two dads interacting.  I also really like the way their (C & A) relationship is growing.  We might actually see one of he Eppes men tie the knot.  A little estrogen around the house would definitely stir things up in a good way.  And since, by all accounts, Alan and his wife had a great marriage I think that bodes well for Charlie & Amida.  Don, on the other hand, seems to still be searching for something.  He has a great girlfriend, but most of the women he's been involved with seem nice.  I think he needs to understand himself better before he'll be ready to settle down, and I don't know if he would marry another agent, especially a field agent.  He's a worrier and that might be too much stress for him to handle.

I agree that this case wasn't overly interesting and their wasn't much action.  I did like the reappearance of Gary Walker who, if I'm not mistaken, has been promoted to Captain...I'm pretty sure Charlie referred to his rank.  It's nice to see a guy who's a bit like Don and how they deal differently with their subordinates.  As Don said, he still wants to be their friend.  As for Don's (and apparently Gary's) decision to let the guy walk, while his crime is a felony, I understand the reasoning behind the decision.  I don't know how realistic it is, but it's definitely revealing about Don's personality.  Whether or not I agree with that decision, I'm not sure.  Because of that guy they were able to apprehend a dangerous criminal.  I also think that because he, our "Robin Hood", had been an agent factored into their decision.

All in all, it was a great episode.  Sometimes the quieter ones are better.  They reveal more about our main characters which only makes us like them more, or at least understand them better.

[ Last edited by  waterlilybarb at 11-11-2007 16:30 ]

i love this show, i have to tell this season isnt as good as the prev were, i fill Charlie is pushing to much now, he is a prof not an agent, before he was just helping out, now he just jumps in  without Don asking him to help... I just fill like the series is a bit of the grand as an investigation should be done by the agent mostly and not everybody at the uni. btw since when everybody got a security pass to know all the info about  every case? as that was very important subject in series 1.

Reply #6 panni's post

on the security pass, we know charlie has NSA clearance which gives him access to the information to help Don.  As for everyone else, it's a TV show so of course there are some small details that in real life would never happen.  Plus the whole point of the show is showing how the math/science helps the FBI solve crimes (every episode is based on real life cases so the real math was actually done in real life).  Without the help of Amida, Larry, other professors, and even Alan in some cases, Charlie would not have been able to help Don because even his mathematician brain is limited in knowledge.

yeah thats fine like this, ok, but my point was "real life" too if so many ppl know something what they should not on the first place, like they get involved with somebody who has a pass, the information may end up in wrong hand or at the press, why we got some many leaked info everywhere ??? why they r not getting a pass themselves too, that would be simple

i love math, i like to show, but if its based on real things mostly, wouldnt be great if they  put in  a bit of effort to get it more real, like David Krumholtz is a half Hungarian Jew who may be able to cook goulash himself as Charlie can etc..... this series its nearly "real" its so got to watch :)

New episode tonight!

I'm happy that tonight is Friday night and there's a new episode of Numb3rs for me to curl up and watch.  Now that Men In Trees is also on Friday nights...different times here in Canada, Friday has become a great night for television.  Little things like that just make my day!

I'm so happy that there are some other fans of the show around.  Most of my friends have different TV taste than I do, other than my Mum, so it's great to have a place to talk about what's going on in the show, with the characters and all that fun stuff.   Catch you later with some chat about the episode.  

Reply #9 waterlilybarb's post

OK, Primacy aired and it was good!  Did anyone peg Amita as a gamer?  And her avatar was totally quick@$$.  Charlie's book in the top 100?  Would you use math to find a mate?  Interesting in theory, but how would a lay person actually put that into practice?

Don having a lunch "appointment"...with his father! lol  Not the act, just the fact that he told everyone he had an appointment.   I hope he starts listening to some of his father's advice.  Maybe HE needs to read Charlie's book!

All in all, a very enjoyable episode.  I loved that Charlie was so protective of Amita, in a loving, non-controlling way.  And Larry re-entering the real world.  It really makes for good television.

[ Last edited by  waterlilybarb at 11-11-2007 16:31 ]

I loved Primacy! It's probably one of my favorite episodes ever. I love Amita as a character, she's very well rounded, and multi-dimensional even though she's a secondary character (another reason this is one of my favorite shows). Her whimsical quirk, being a gamer, was another awesome facet to her personality. I also really liked the episode in the 2nd season that focused on her too, the one about the organ harvesting.

Primacy was a good episode because it seemed to take all of the factors into account, and show us the progression of each character. Larry's emergence back into the real world, Alan's burgeoning new life as a student/possibly buying a condo, Charlie's book hitting top 100 and doing interviews, Amita's quirky side-life as a gamer, Don's relationship with Liz, and even Colby's non-dating thing... it really showed the cast as an ensemble, which is how it should be more often, especially on a show with around 10 main characters.

Primacy was also ROFL! there were so many funny moments that balanced out all the angsty crime; like:

Larry: Charles, you look like someone just stole your chalk.

Colby: Does it have anything to do with your deceptive upper body strength?

[ Last edited by  BBmulderscully at 11-11-2007 03:27 ]
"What is that called when everything intersects?" <> "the Bermuda Triangle."

I agree i think this episode was one of the best NUMB3RS has done in a long time.  I thought it was well rounded with humor and action.  I love how Amida and Charlie's relationship is evolving into a real serious relationship.  I remember when they were just casually dating.  I see them getting married some time in the future of the show.

Amida was so cute in the episode with her little obsession with the video game.  She actually reminded me a bit of myself because I can get a little obsessive about things I'm into like she was with pirmacy.

When Colby got  swept away in the dam I was so afraid something worse was going to happen to him.  I was so relieved when we saw him hanging on to the bridge.  Thankfully Charlie and his "upper body strength" was there to save him lol.

Reply #12 imarielle626's post

Tabu aired last night.  It was a good episode, especially in how it revealed more about Megan's character and the issues she has with her father.  Nice to see that she and Larry are getting closer again...they're a good match.

Don, on the other hand, seems inclined to self-destruct.  While I agree he made the right decision regarding Liz, and for the right reasons, he doesn't seem to know what he wants in a relationship or life in general.  He's really quite a sad character.  I hope they have something good happen to him, even if it's small.  We don't want him becoming pathetic, now, do we?

As for the story, it was interesting, though I guessed early on who was the instigator of the kidnapping.  What I liked best about it, as I said, was that it enabled them to delve more into Megan's character.  All in all, a good episode, but not my favourite.

I agree I'm glad we got to see more into Megan's character.  We know she's been through a lot off the show, but this is the first time they have really given us details.  I'm also glad to see her and Larry starting up their relationship together.  They are sweet together.

I feel bad for Don.  He's not a bad guy, he just has a lot of relationship problems.  In the beginning he and Liz were really good together, but the second a problem came up, they just went down hill because he has too much on his mind always to deal with his personal problems. I'm glad they ended their relationship when and how they did.  If they would have kept it going longer it might have desrupted their profesional relationship.  I just hope sometime in the future of the show we can finally see Don in a happy, healthy relationship.

I thought the scene with Charlie and Amida where she was working on the circuit board was cute.  I love the two of them together!

As for the episode, I thought it was good.  Different from a typical kidnapping.  I also guessed early on that Ella was involved.  I didn't necessarily think she was the instigator, but from the opening scene it was clear that she knew about the "kidnapping" before hand.

aww the quote that Don gave the magazine about Charlie was so sweet!

Now for the episode.  I thought it was good.  Funnier than most actually.  At times I found myself laughing out loud which you don't find often in Action-Adventure shows.  I actually thought the scene in the retirement home was hilarious.  Watching all of the elderly running out of the way of a squad team with loaded guns.  The naked guy scene was also funny and Seth's comment to Amita and her comment back to Charlie (I dont remember the exact lines).

It was nice to see Christopher Lloyd (from the Back to the Future triolgy), although I have to say he has not aged all that well.  I almost didn't recognize him!

Reply 15#15 imarielle626's post

I loved Don's quote too.  

I got a kick out of the comic book nerdiness.  To find out that David is a comic book guy was surprising.  Alan and Larry weren't as big a surprise.

The guy doing the interviews had me suspicious of him for a while.  I was so glad to hear the responses of Charlie's friends and family...and then to hear Don's quote when they read the proof was really nice.

As for Christopher Lloyd, I loved the comment Alan made, something like, "I can't picture you as a hippie."  When they were on Taxi together, Lloyd played a hippie...so it was a neat little reference for fans.  As for him not aging well, he hasn't done too badly.  He just looks like an older version of himself.

Episode 10-Chinese Box

Poor Charlie, getting his Chinese Box idea getting shot down by Don.  It shows just how much Charlie values his older brother's opinion.

As far as the episode goes, I found it a bit boring.  I think it would have been better if Ben actually wasn't being followed, but in fact was just crazy and paranoid.  I also found it a bit predictable.  The thing I always loved about the show is that even though the outcome may be predictable at times, the road to get there is always a journey because of one of Charlie's crazy ideas.  In this episode Don did it his own way instead of using one of Charlie's ideas that sounded so out there it probably would have worked better.

I did however love the scene where Charlie was arguing with himself about always being right and how he failed: failed to express his thoughts in words.  I sometimes feel the same way, where I have an idea or something to say, but when I try to formulate the thought into words it either doesn't come out, or doesn't make sense in the way I mean for it to.

[ Last edited by imarielle626 at 12-17-2007 11:52 ]

I thought that it was so sad how Ben had been conspired against by his boss for personal gain. I mean, it was bad enough that he lost his son; but then for them to make him believe that he was insane. All he wanted was for someone to listen to him. I'm glad that David was able to be there for him and I'm also glad that Ben will not be serving time. I did feel really sorry for Charlie in this episode because his brother kept ignoring his theory. I think that this was a good episode and it made us all value our privacy that much more. But hey, who knows? We could be getting watched as well and just not know about it. lol!
Recent Ratings
  • imarielle626 Points +2 Thanks for your thoughts! 12-23-2007 18:57

Episode 11 discussion

I loved the brotherly love in this episode.  A nice change from the last episode.  It is not often we see Don protecting Charlie, usually it is Charlie worrying about Don.  But I do think Don could have handled the situation a bit better.  Just because Charlie was attacked does not mean taking him off the case and all other FBI cases will make everything better.  Charlie loves working for his big brother.  Sometimes Don really needs to get a clue.  He gets so into his work he forgets about everyone else.  Probably why none of his relationships last!

And just to put this out there:  If Amida and Charlie are living together now, how come we are never given any evidence of the fact she actually moved in?  It just seems a bit weird to me.  Also the fact that in my mind they are engaged and I keep on having to remind myself he has not popped the question yet!  I'm a little ambitious

Overall this wasn't the best episode Numb3rs has ever put on, but hopefully after the strike this will turn around.

Reply 19#19 imarielle626's post

Re: Charlie & Amita's living situation, I don't think she's actually moved in yet.  If she has, you're right, there's no sign of her in the house.

I really enjoyed both of the last 2 episodes.  Chinese Box was interesting to see Charlie's frustration at his inability to make his ideas understood.  This is so often the case, especially with those whose genius lies in mathematics or science.  Their gift is not with words, and their ideas are so complex it's hard for those who don't "speak their language" to grasp.  I liked how it showed that even when someone has proven themselves in the past, if they can't make their ideas understood people won't respond.  That's unfortunate, since I think past performance should play a large part in people's ability to trust someone.

As for the new episode, I, too, liked the examination of the brother dynamic...and especially the feeling an older brother has to protect his younger sibling.  I understand your frustration with Don, Arielle.  He should recognize Charlie is a grown man, able to decide for himself what is and isn't an acceptable risk, but it's not always easy to change how you see a younger sibling, especially one you've had the role of protecting.

132 1234567
Thread