Thread
Printable Version

The girly`s ......giggle box

Happy 2012 Giggle box!

Just thought I'd come for a little visit and say HAPPY NEW YEAR, 9 days late ;)

How were everyone's holidays? Anyone have a really interesting New Year's Eve? I always despise NYE, too much pressure! But this year we were together with the whole family someplace warm, so it was nice.

Take care everyone!

Hey there, I spent it with my sister and her boyfriend (now Fiance) as they got engaged on New Year's Eve, so it turned into a celebration! I generally don't like it either but this was a different one for sure!

My sister, had a very good reason for really disliking NYE....For NYE 1999 into 2000 we had bought bottles of champagne to help celebrate the big one. When the clock struck midnight my Dad popped one of the bottles and my brother the other bottle. We were all celebrating 2000 and I noticed my sister had crouched down. When my brother opened his bottle of champagne, the cork hit her in the eye!! We always joke that she has PTSD about NYE but now it will be replaced by a nice memory of her b/f proposing. He went all James Bond on her and dressed up in a dinner suite. They are together 8 years and it was obviously on the cards, but she was rightly surprised.

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun. Last year, on NYE, I did nothing because I had a wedding the next day. My cousin got Married on New Year's Day last year and it was lovely. Although, we had all started to worry as to weather or not we'd be have a wedding with all of the snow, but thankfully it had thawed. What a contrast this year was. It was so mild, like 13C !!

Reply 3882#3882 shinny's post

I know, the weather world-wide is a bit worrisome this year! Global warming!

That is a crazy story about your sister and the cork -- OUCH! I'm glad she now has a happy memory to replace it with. When will the wedding be? Will you be in the wedding do you think?

Reply 3883#3883 studiojek's post

Why is it women look forward to getting married while men don't think it's a big deal

Reply 3884#3884 bala's post

That is a huge generalization there bala.  I know just as many men that can't wait to get married as i do women who have no desire to get married.
I am not asking you to dye your hair red and call me Mulder, I would simple ask that you could consider the possibility...

Reply 3884#3884 bala's post

I agree with sanggye.  I have no intereest in marriage, or having a wedding, but I have some male friends who, not only look forward to being married, but have very specific ideas of how they would like their wedding to be.  Women are more communucative about such things, and generally, when men talk about it, it has been my experience, they do so with their female friends.  I would say most of my single male friends would like to be married.  I am the odd one out in that scenario.  I love weddings, and am happy for those who get married, but I'm quite happy being single.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 3885#3885 sanggye's post

When i mean by not a big deal i mean there don't make a fuss about it but i am sure there few women who like yourself that have no interest in getting married. .

Quote:
I have some male friends who, not only look forward to being married, but have very specific ideas of how they would like their wedding to be.
I suppose that another generalisation that the wedding is only for the bride and not the groom ?

For men the aim is to make your partner happy so that means doing whatever she wants . I think most men feel that way but not all. It really depends on the person your marrying if she is willing listen to your ideas.

I better stop here before i say something that annoys people.

Reply 3887#3887 bala's post

Some men really are the ones that make the fuss and want things a particular way for their wedding.  I know men like this.  They have no intention of just doing whatever their partner wants.  Some have very specific ideas as to what they want for their wedding.  Of course, both would have to agree on the actual details, but most don't have problems with that because if they're really ready to marry their partner, then they would already have an idea of what the other likes and dislikes.  There are some men who are happy to leave it all up to the woman, but I would think there are women who are happy to leave most or all of it up to the man.  It all depends on the person.  What I have found funny is that it's the unlikeliest men who have such specific visions of their wedding. lol

Reply 3889#3889 waterlilybarb's post

I do find it amusing that we are all single me you and sanggye and are talking about wedding plans .

Reply 3890#3890 bala's post

It is amusing but I have to say that being married is nice except when the kids come along. Those times are rough and tough. There are good times and bad.

I know with myself having two kids that both have medical needs it is more tough than good. I know I will look back and see the good in all of it later in life because we all know how much we can love our kids.

Reply 3883#3883 studiojek's post

They are getting married in October this year so that will be a big event

Reply 3891#3891 carlorica's post

That's a great outlook to have calorica and one that will stand you well in the future, for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by carlorica at 1-31-2012 07:57  
It is amusing but I have to say that being married is nice except when the kids come along. Those times are rough and tough. There are good times and bad.

I know with myself having two kids that both ...
Bala I was married.  It was her second marriage and her first one was the big church wedding, so our wedding was a dual effort and very simple (The way i wanted it to be) It was in a friend's backyard, We supplied a few dishes and a cake, the rest was a potluck by the guests (we also made it known that we did not expect gifts, only friendship from the guests.)
I am not asking you to dye your hair red and call me Mulder, I would simple ask that you could consider the possibility...

Reply 3894#3894 sanggye's post

I like weddings like that.  I have nothing against bigger ones, but I really enjoy more intimate weddings where just close friends and family are there.  My Mum's 2nd wedding was very simple.  I was 7, so I was there.

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Having a craptastic week...which is bleeding over from last week.  May I just say that I really, really, really don't like my landlord AT ALL!  The water heater burst last Friday.  We had NO WATER at all until late Sunday afternoon, and that's only because I called every stinkin' number I could find to see if we could at least have cold water.  It is now nearly 5pm on Tuesday and "hopefully" we'll have hot water by some time tomorrow.  BTW, of course, these things always happen on holiday weekends, when all the government agencies are closed.  I am so exhausted.  First, having to haul water to flush the toilets and wash (my neighbour kindly got the big jugs and poured half into my bucket, as the jug is too heavy for me to lift), now, having to heat water to wash and still having to leave to bathe.  I really need a shower today (last had one on Saturday at my brother's house), but am just too unwell to get all my stuff together and go to someone else's house to do it.  I made an appointment with Legal Aid because I am beyond fed up. I am hoping to get some money reduced from this month's rent for the landlord's lack of swiftness in dealing with this matter - it's actually called withholding vital services.  If I had the resources, I would have paid to have it fixed myself and sent him the bill.  I'm getting sick again - stress never helps, and I know I got dehydrated when we had no water because I was rationing my drinking water, and I tend to dehydrate very easily.  Dealing with all that (and more) while I had a 4 day migraine (seems mostly gone now) did not make for an enjoyable weekend at all.

CALGON - take me away!!!!!

Reply 3896#3896 waterlilybarb's post

I am so sorry to hear this Barb.  I hope you are able to get the water fixed.

Reply 3896#3896 waterlilybarb's post

That is AWFUL Barb!!! And the very last thing you needed I'm sure. Hope you get your hands on some Calgon

Reply 3897#3897 sanggye's & 3896 studiojek's post

Thanks you guys.  Unlikely that's it will happen today - it's going on 4pm and still nothing.  My landlord is an idiot.  This is now day 6 with no hot water - and the first 2 of those days with no running water at all.  I'm done for the day.  Haven't the patience to deal with much, so better that I just not try and do anything requiring me to put up with more stupidity or laziness.  The fact that I want to poke my eye out with a shrimp fork isn't helping either (*#^*&^%* migraine).  Thinking a magic wand would be handier than some Calgon at this point.  

Reply 3899#3899 waterlilybarb's post

Well, a water heater - that seems like that would be the most useful thing right now. Hope it gets resolved today - that's a long time without water =(

Thread