Thread
Printable Version

The Assets Season 1 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

The Assets Season 1 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

premires January 2, 2014

The Assets is an eight-part miniseries based on the real life events of CIA counter-intelligence officer Sandy Grimes (Jodie Whittaker). 1985 serves as the backdrop to the final showdown of the Cold War when Sandy and her partner Jeanne Vertefeuille (Harriet Walter) vowed to find the mole that would turn out to be the most notorious traitor in US History, Aldrich Ames (Paul Rhys). Sandy is in a race against time to save the Soviet intelligence officers from being caught and killed. Living her own double life at home, this beautiful wife and mother vowed to stop at nothing until she uncovered the truth. The Assets will look inside the true, personal stories of the conclusion of the Cold War as told by the keepers of the nation’s secrets: the CIA.

Show Site

Sneak Peek The Assets

My Name is Aldrich Ames

Well once you understood what was going on in the first few minutes, you will enjoy this series, but the first 5 minutes really confused me, until i realise they were trying to capture him while he tried to do a dead drop. The fact that the other spy was already captured and fake plant was used to capture him certainly create interesting situation but given that we know who the traitor is will certainly make this more exciting., You would think a CIA agent walking into USSR Embassy would be one hell of a red flag to capture him so why did it take so long ?.

This is ABC attempt to compete with FX' The americans .  

1x01 My Name is Aldrich Ames

The tail on the money drop was a little obvious but turning around as if he forgot something and tuning his coat inside-out was quick thinking but as soon as he walked in the park it looked like a set-up

This has now been added to the flash site

'The Assets' canceled by ABC

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/10/the-assets-canceled-abc/

As this was only an eight part mini series what a waste of money to cancel it after only two episodes

1x02 Jewel in the Crown

What a place to hide the camera back in 1972 inside a dead rat and having a second mole was a lucky break

Reply 7#7 codebreaker's post

Yes it was very luck break another mole but it was impressive stand when he introduced himself to Conel to see if he recognised him but accused him was close call

Reply 6#6 codebreaker's post

Yes i don't see the point if fixed number of episode so look like they probably save it for summertime and run it back to back

1x03 Trip to Vienna

This was better episode but after defecting to USA for a women and when he get rejected he decides to go back to Russia and saying CIA had kidnap him was amusing . .

Howard background story was interesting no wonder he has a chip on his shoulder .

1x04 What’s Done is Done

Asking for 1 million dollars was a bold move but giving them all the assets for that money was certain worth it and who would of thought the Russian were smart using defecting colonel as a decoy to kill the other guy who was CIA informant   .

Reply 10#10 bala's post

You just knew the disagreement in the pub would escalate outside but aiming a gun at his privates was amusing and Mary's driving skills were impressive helping her husband Edward escape

Reply 11#11 bala's post

Ames needing more money to support Rosario spendthrift lifestyle was interesting but he took a hell of a risk getting all those files at once

1x05 Check Mate

Ames making in to the suspected mole list was a surprise with him still being there but with him getting a transfer he will able to leave with the money without anyone suspecting him any more

1x06 A Small Useless Truth

The polygraph test having Ames worried was understandable but being taught how to pass it will make it almost impossible to catch him before he transfers especially with the investigation being closed but that was a close call

1x07 The Straw Poll

Sandy having a difficult time convincing the rest of the task force when she becomes convinced that Ames is the most likely suspect but sacrificing her own weekend was sad and passing another polygraph test I thought it was going to make it almost impossible to convince the rest of team

1x08 Avenger

I had a feeling Ames buying his house with cash would be the start of his downfall and his wife spending money like it was going out of fashion didn't help but they did a good job wrapping it all up with a good ending

Thread