Thread
Printable Version

RealPlayer Troubleshooting Guide (Solutions & Tips)

FRUSTRATION

If you review my last 3 or four posts, the same problems continue, no matter what time of day, no matter how few open programs I'm running at the time (usually just FireFox), no matter which server, no matter how fast my connection. I am able, with Dan's post #15, to lesson the frustration somewhat, but I can't just hit 'stop' and have it buffer back up. I have to note the time where it stopped, quit RealPlayer altogether, re-select the episode, hit pause as it buffers back up, slide the time marker to where I left off, wait until it shows 'paused' (after buffering), and then hit 'play'. Assuming it has buffered back up at all, which often it doesn't without freezing at some percentage point, assuming everything works , then I might be good for anything from 4 minutes up to 15 minutes. Then I must repeat everything. Perhaps 1 out of every 15 attempts to watch ANY video from start to finish will be successfull. Quite frankly, I am growing quite tired of the frustration and inconvenience, and I know I'm not the only one. I've done everything at my end, but the thrill is wearing thin. Are you outgrowing your servers at a stready pace, just ahead of the ability to fulfill your customer's expectations? Am I missing something? Or does FireFox or RealPlayer suck in ways we don't yet know? Please, I am just about ready to give up entirely on TV-Video.net. Reassure me somehow.
Recent Ratings
  • waterlilybarb Treasure +20 Replacement G. Had to clean up some old 2-12-2008 16:10

Yes, I have tried refreshing the page and restarting the browser. No, I don't believe I've rebooted. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium on a fairly new HP Pavillion dv6275us laptop with a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 Ghz processor, 2G memory, Nvidia 7400 GeForce Go 7400 w/128MB DDR dedicated memory and 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN. I am usually using a Sprint/Novatel U720 wireless broadband card in my USB port. Obviously, my carrier is Sprint. Usually, I range between 200-800kpbs connection speed, although I experience the same problems when using the public library wi-fi service. I don't know who their carrier is. I have set my RealPlayer minimum speed spec to 28kb, as you have suggested. I am using RealPlayer v10.5, and have implemented all the adjustment settings per the various posts on this thread. When I can, I will try using a different computer to access the site. Might you have any idea how and what to look for regarding a "rogue system file" preventing streaming? I have also tried reducing open programs on my computer to just the Firefox browser. Yes I am using the current version of FireFox. I should also add that occasionally I can watch a full 45-minute episode with no problems. The secondary background buffering indicator bar stays ahead of, or moves steadily faster than the clip position indicator. This is how I like it, for usually that means everything's ok. I know if the 'clip-position' ball overtakes the buffer bar, everything stops. But one disconcerting quirk is this: not always do I get a form of RealPlayer which has a buffering indicator visible. When I select an episode, I first will get a black RealPlayer screen divided into two horizontal sections; a wide one at the top, and a narrow one along the bottom. Both have that little frame of film logo, and I can click either to get the little clock-thingy by the frame-logo to appear and start counting down. At this point I may or may not see the "Play in RealPlayer" logo in the lower right part of the opening skin. When I do see it, and click it, a second black screen with both the clip position AND buffering indicators appears. When the logo is not there, I will first get the small RealPlayer gadget, and then the second black screen appears, but without the buffering indicator. Usually I close the first, now lifeless black screen as soon as the second screen pops up, Also, when that second screen has been initiated by clicking the RP logo on the first screen (and thus includes the 'buffer-bar'), I can move my cursor to the upper-left portion of the screen and a 1X and 2X screen size choice appears. With the 'other', buffer-barless, screen, you have to click the 'maximize' icon in the upper-right corner of the screen, to enlarge the image, the 1X and 2X choices are not there. Oh, and one other thing: sometimes when I hit pause, the buffering bar continues moving to the right. I wait till there's a few minutes racked up on it and then hit play.The buffering indicator will have its own time readout below it. But on other occasions, I hit pause and the buffering does not continue moving. Weird, huh? I know this is a lot of detail to lay out to you, but perhaps something I've described will provide a clue of some sort. I somehow think you appreciate detail; the more clues the better. And don't fear, I really do like your service and will continue with you for a long time. -Tim

Thread