Board logo

Subject: Memphis Beat Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers) [Print This Page]

Author: codebreaker    Time: 6-23-2010 10:34     Subject: Memphis Beat Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

About the Show

Memphis Beat centers on Dwight Hendricks (Jason Lee), a quirky Memphis police detective with an intimate connection to the city, a passion for blues music and a close relationship with his mother. He is "the keeper of Memphis," a Southern gentleman who is protective of his fellow citizens, reverential of the city's history and deeply rooted in its blues music scene.
Despite his impeccable instincts as a detective, Dwight's loose, relaxed style of police work rubs his demanding new boss, Lt. Tanya Rice (Alfre Woodard), the wrong way. But Dwight may eventually win her over to a Memphis state of mind, especially when he takes the stage at his favorite hangout to perform a legendary song or two.

MEMPHIS BEAT co-stars DJ Qualls as Davey Sutton, a uniform cop who considers himself to be Dwight's protégé. Also starring are Celia Weston (Junebug) as Dwight's effervescent mother; Sam Hennings (Saving Grace) as Charlie White, aka Whitehead, Dwight's seasoned, hypertensive partner; Leonard Earl Howze (Barbershop) as Reginald Greenback, a fellow detective struggling to make ends meet with two teenage daughters; and Abraham Benrubi (ER) as Sgt. JC Lightfoot, an officer who uses Chickasaw tribal wisdom in his police work.

MEMPHIS BEAT was created by Liz W. Garcia (Cold Case) and Joshua Harto (The Dark Knight), who also wrote the first two episodes. Harto, who grew up in the South and has spent a lot of time with his country-musician grandfather, sees the show's setting as a chance to spotlight one of America's great cities. "Memphis has been largely forgotten in film and TV today," he says. "It's where the blues and Johnny Cash and Elvis came from. It's where Martin Luther King was assassinated and where Isaac Hayes and Aretha Franklin were born and raised. It's the perfect blend of drama and humor for our show."

Music is just as vital to MEMPHIS BEAT as its unique characters, drama and humor is the music. "Music is a huge part of this show," Garcia says. "It has to be. You can't live in Memphis and not have your life steeped in music. The city has a soundtrack."

To get that perfect Memphis feel, the production team approached noted blues singer/songwriter Keb' Mo'. He will provide original compositions and performances for the show to supplement classic Memphis tracks.

MEMPHIS BEAT is executive-produced by Clooney, Heslov, Garcia, Harto, John Fortenberry (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Scott Kaufer (Boston Legal). Sean Whitesell (House M.D.) and Smokehouse Pictures' Abby Wolf-Weiss are co-executive producers. The pilot was directed and executive-produced by Emmy® nominee Clark Johnson (The Shield). Harto and Garcia are a husband-and-wife team. Harto is also an actor.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/memphisbeat/

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 9-11-2011 16:16 ]
Author: codebreaker    Time: 6-23-2010 10:39     Subject: 1x01 That's All Right, Mama

Detective Dwight Hendricks investigates the abuse of elderly woman who happens to be a legendary Memphis disc jockey known as the “First Lady of the Airwaves.” But his loose investigative style is cramped by his new by-the-book boss, Lt. Tanya Rice, who brings a den mother approach to her job. Meanwhile, Dwight’s mother starts dating a charming new neighbor.
Author: bala    Time: 6-26-2010 04:57     Subject: Reply 2#2 codebreaker's post

Yeah it was disturbing case how could anyone do that elderly women beyond my understanding
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-3-2010 02:52     Subject: 1x02 Baby, Let's Play House

Cleo Groves, a mother who will stop at nothing to hold her family together by risking her sons future and letting him take the blame for her killing her husband because he is a juvenile
Author: bala    Time: 7-3-2010 04:27     Subject: Reply 4#4 codebreaker's post

i did like the billboard remark Speeding what yours excuse-spray painted 'helping you fat b***ard pay for your doughnuts'
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-7-2010 03:26     Subject: 1x03 Love Me Tender

Dwight letting the missing teenage beauty pageant queen and her boyfriend go because of what he found out about what her parent did to her was nice and Dwight trying to help his ex-wife, Alex with her health-food catering business backfired first but he did apologize and got her back
Author: bala    Time: 7-9-2010 11:38     Subject: Reply 6#6 codebreaker's post

i think this would made better pilot than a 3rd episode ?
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-15-2010 01:51     Subject: 1x04 Polk Salad Annie

Davey going under cover turned out better than i thought but when the brother got out the trunk was funny
Author: bala    Time: 7-17-2010 04:30     Subject: Reply 8#8 codebreaker's post

Well it was an amusing episode and quite interesting i mean Davey going undercover was great but you just knew he would end fall for the girl . The chief boy get arrested and her trying to let him learn the hard way but not bail him out was good but he was right she can't expect him to be perfect.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-22-2010 07:34     Subject: 1x05 One Night of Sin

Following the death of the matriarch of a popular country & western family, the group’s manager falls - or jumps - from a balcony. But something doesn't smell right, especially as bitter rivalries within the musical family come to light, i did like Dwight's duet at the end
Author: bala    Time: 7-24-2010 05:43     Subject: Reply 10#10 codebreaker's post

Well this has become a soft beat cop show watch when you not in the mood serious show.
Author: bala    Time: 7-31-2010 00:18

Well a boxer who get attacked and it wasn't who we thought but dewie telling  the mother he liked her was funny.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-4-2010 00:27     Subject: Reply 12#12 bala's post

Davey chatting up the mother was funny
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-6-2010 10:06     Subject: 1x07 Suspicious Minds

The look on Dwight's face when the plane was empty was great but the way the couple got the plane was crafty and i wounder if Greenback get away with keeping the money after he catches a close friend in a compromising position.
Author: bala    Time: 8-6-2010 10:11     Subject: Reply 14#14 codebreaker's post

That plane was great naming it the ghost plane was funny.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-11-2010 05:55     Subject: 1x08 I Shall Not Be Moved

Good episode when Dwight goes beyond the call of duty to help the old man who had been on the run for over 40 years for a crime he didn't commit and the LT and her bank problems, i think we would all be annoyed if our ex's did that
Author: bala    Time: 8-11-2010 10:59     Subject: Reply 16#16 codebreaker's post

yes but she should made sure her ex was removed from bank details. it was nice to have the cold case twist in this episode.
Author: bala    Time: 8-18-2010 03:32     Subject: Don't Be So Cruel

What an awful way for groom end up murdered on his wedding day and the complication with Kickback and the fact that groom was expose a businessman.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-19-2010 10:00     Subject: Reply 18#18 bala's post

I liked the way Dwight was paying attention to the details in the back ground except when they were hiding behind the car and didn't notice the other car
Author: bala    Time: 8-25-2010 09:49

Well not much season finale but Dwight finally 3 year murder that been bothering him
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-25-2010 21:12     Subject: Reply 20#20 bala's post

It was good that they could close the case of death of the girl but it's a shame the brother has to go to jail because the doctor didn't do his job properly
Author: codebreaker    Time: 9-14-2010 00:59

The first 9 episodes has now been added to VIP
Author: bala    Time: 9-14-2010 12:01     Subject: Reply 22#22 codebreaker's post

Do we know whether this has been renewed?
Author: bala    Time: 9-17-2010 06:03     Subject: TNT confirms 'Memphis Beat' renewal

TNT has confirmed that it has renewed Memphis Beat for another season.

The first season of the show, which stars My Name Is Earl's Jason Lee as a police detective working in Memphis, averaged 4.7m viewers.

Entertainment Weekly reports that TNT has now decided to order ten new episodes.

The network's executive vice-president and head of programming Michael Wright said: "Memphis Beat is a real treasure: a slightly off-centre drama with great actors, memorable characters and a soundtrack steeped in Memphis sounds. We look forward to another fantastic season next year."

The new episodes of Memphis Beat will air in 2011.

Source
Author: sanggye    Time: 9-29-2010 05:59     Subject: I am in the race

I was pleasantly surprised over the the first episode.  I enjoyed it
Author: Mnemosyne    Time: 9-30-2010 02:17     Subject: Reply 25#25 sanggye's post

me too, especially after I've just stated in the Rizzoli & Isles thread that I didn't like that show because I don't like cop shows in general. I did enjoy this one
Author: Mnemosyne    Time: 9-30-2010 02:18

forgot to post "I am in the race"
Author: munch    Time: 9-30-2010 16:01

I am in the race!
This was an amusing show.  I enjoyed the first episode so much that I watched six more.   

Author: codebreaker    Time: 10-1-2010 03:29     Subject: I am in the race

Sutton having to frisk the guy after his trousers fell down and asking a blind man what the nurse looked like. LOL!
Author: sddvasquez    Time: 10-1-2010 10:37     Subject: 1x01

don't know if we can get over jerry in braids, ewwww. we do love the king, though!

we're in the race
Author: angel-87    Time: 10-2-2010 07:24     Subject: i am in the race

thought it was great show but then again i love most cop shows lol. anyone else noticed how many new cop shows there are this year?
Author: mrs_h    Time: 10-9-2010 10:20     Subject: Racing to the finish

This wasn't a bad show, again it's not really original but it wasn't a chore to watch. I might give it another chance but it isn't high on my list. I do love the song at the end though.
Author: spratt89    Time: 5-15-2011 08:07     Subject: Memphis Beat Season 2 General Discussion (Spoilers)

Season 2 Premieres June 14, 2011

Discuss Anything About Season 2 Here

Author: bala    Time: 5-15-2011 08:10     Subject: Reply 1#1 spratt89's post

It been ages
Author: codebreaker    Time: 6-15-2011 00:19     Subject: Image for VIP

A possible image for VIP

Author: codebreaker    Time: 6-15-2011 09:20     Subject: 2x01 At the River

Nice returning episode with Dwight trying to prove that Don the dead cop was not involved with a white supremacist group but with the evidence stacked against him it wasn't looking good
Author: bala    Time: 6-18-2011 10:34     Subject: Reply 4#4 codebreaker's post

Well that explosion and him kissing the IA women was rather amusing..
Author: codebreaker    Time: 6-22-2011 14:09     Subject: 2x02 Inside Man

How ironic that the woman complaining about the resent robberies that it's her own son but Keith was amusing and quick thinking when he turned the car radio on to warn them
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 6-22-2011 16:39     Subject: Reply 6#6 codebreaker's post

Funny stuff.  I enjoyed this one.  "Give me the signal and I'll tazer the bastard"...--Dwights partner
Author: bala    Time: 6-24-2011 23:49     Subject: Reply 6#6 codebreaker's post

Yeah but as soon as i saw him i knew it was him he always seem play jerk/bad guy
Author: codebreaker    Time: 6-29-2011 12:30     Subject: 2x03 Lost

Another interesting case with them searching for the missing daughter who was supposedly going home but with the husband and father now both suspects so finding out she faked her own death to escape which was an interesting twist
Author: bala    Time: 7-2-2011 05:59     Subject: Reply 9#9 codebreaker's post

Yes that run around was amusing i had feeling she faked her death
Author: bala    Time: 7-6-2011 06:53     Subject: Flesh and Blood

Who would thought the nun was the one who had the baby but it made more sense it was a family member but glad girl managed talk down her father.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-7-2011 13:05     Subject: Reply 11#11 bala's post

Singing to the baby was sweet and I'm glad girl managed talk  her father into surrendering but what a thing to do to your children
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 7-8-2011 13:58

Sutton is just great.  Loved it.  Running the copier to keep the child quiet and then bitting the head off the detective if he even "Thought" about trying to use the copier!  hahahah  
Author: bala    Time: 7-13-2011 10:28     Subject: The Things We Carry

Well i am glad he allowed his father killer out of prison but if he wasn't responsible than who was?
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-14-2011 09:25     Subject: Reply 14#14 bala's post

Dwight's mother helping him get out of a speeding ticket was amusing and a tough call on allowing his father killer out of prison but sad that the guy don't remember because he was high
Author: bala    Time: 7-14-2011 09:27     Subject: Reply 15#15 codebreaker's post

Yeah the mother was amusing the fact she knew about the kickbacks really surprised Dwight.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-14-2011 09:31     Subject: Reply 16#16 bala's post

She was right about him taking the money back in them days to keep on the right side of his colleagues but what did he do with the money if he didn't spend it
Author: bala    Time: 7-20-2011 07:49     Subject: Body of Evidence

Dwight helping old friend was bound t get complicated
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-21-2011 10:52     Subject: 2x06 Troubled Waters

I liked the way Sutton got the guy working on the boat to talk but i would of still had his truck impounded
Author: bala    Time: 7-21-2011 10:58     Subject: Reply 19#19 codebreaker's post

Well it  was good threat . Sutton a nice guy
Author: codebreaker    Time: 7-21-2011 11:00     Subject: Reply 20#20 bala's post

Tanya's mother was a hand full
Author: bala    Time: 7-21-2011 11:02     Subject: Reply 21#21 codebreaker's post

Yeah who would thought a pair new glasses would solve all her problems
Author: bala    Time: 7-27-2011 06:37     Subject: Troubled Waters

Well body going missing at funeral was an interesting case.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-1-2011 07:41     Subject: Reply 23#23 bala's post

2x07 Body of Evidence
In a strange way it was a good thing that the funeral director stole his organs before his body was stolen for the key he swallowed

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 8-1-2011 15:42 ]
Author: bala    Time: 8-3-2011 05:22     Subject: Identity Crisis

Well mother and son con artist and it was clever how 3rd person unknown to them but they got him and look like dwight has new girlfriend About time really.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-9-2011 12:00     Subject: Reply 25#25 bala's post

The con man using the same first name was a little strange and who would of thought Harry the hamster would help Dwight meet a new woman and Sutton looked pleased when he got the girls number
Author: bala    Time: 8-9-2011 12:05     Subject: Reply 26#26 codebreaker's post

Well i hope she doesn't turn out criminal
Author: bala    Time: 8-10-2011 07:56     Subject: Ten Little Memphians

Well this was murder mystery but the man who couldn't remember his name was good mystery
Author: bala    Time: 8-17-2011 04:10     Subject: The Feud

Great way to end a season with the birthday party i had a feeling feud was result love each other
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-20-2011 10:01     Subject: Reply 28#28 bala's post

Lt. Rice, Davey and Greenback trying to identify the man they found in the jail cell was amusing and Dwight and Whitehead becoming trapped in the mansion during the murder investigation was interesting
Author: bala    Time: 8-20-2011 10:04     Subject: Reply 30#30 codebreaker's post

Did you figure out who kill him before it was reveal i had feeling it was that women
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-20-2011 10:08     Subject: Reply 31#31 bala's post

No, i must admit i didn't even try to figure it out
Author: bala    Time: 8-20-2011 10:25     Subject: Reply 32#32 codebreaker's post

Still one week behind or more?
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-20-2011 10:32     Subject: Reply 33#33 bala's post

Two episode from Aug 10, so ten days behind
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-20-2011 10:45     Subject: Reply 29#29 bala's post

That is some temper the the mother has and Davey getting caught before leaving the note on Dwight's girlfriends car was amusing
Author: bala    Time: 8-20-2011 10:59     Subject: Reply 35#35 codebreaker's post

Well someone try kill her daughter of course she was mad
Author: spratt89    Time: 10-14-2011 14:46

TNT cancels Jason Lee starrer 'Memphis Beat'

TNT has opted against ordering a third season of Memphis Beat, the drama that stars Jason Lee as a quirky police detective named Dwight Hendricks.
“The network thanks everyone involved in the production of Memphis Beat for their work on the series, including the great cast and crew,” according to a TNT statement.

The cable network is doing a little housecleaning in preparation for the arrival of its Dallas reboot next year. Last month, it yanked the three-year-old HawthoRNe, the hospital drama that starred Jada Pinkett Smith. And earlier this year, the network dropped Men of a Certain Age.

TNT is not hurting in the drama department, however: Rizzoli and Isles and Falling Skies are hits, and the network just ordered another season of Franklin & Bash. Another batch of episodes from The Closer, in the meantime, return Nov. 28.

Source
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 10-14-2011 20:35

Now this is a loss.  I liked this show.  It had potential!       Luuuuved sutton.

Welcome to FriendVista.com (http://friendvista.com/forum/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0