Thread
Printable Version

shows' ending credits cut off

shows' ending credits cut off

I can bear it no longer, and must share my frustration. As new episodes are posted, it is apparent that many are captured using an automatic timer function. Too many shows cut off the ending credits, which also contain soundtrack music scores and songs. A developing production trend is for series to include different closing music scores unique to each episode. 
  In some extreme "auto timer" captures, the final seconds of dialog are cut off.  Such abrupt and cavalier shut downs are both rude and disrespectful of the artistic content and flow intended by a show's creators. These lead-outs are part and parcel of the total creative package; such sudden whiplash cut-offs feel like a slap-in-the-face after the guillotine has fallen. Can you imagine the outcry if that chop-chop happened in a movie theater--and the house lights snapped on full, to boot?    
  Whew... well, I feel much better now, having vented my frustrations. Thank you for your patience. I do really love and appreciate all you guys and gals, moderators, administrators and techs, everyone who keeps VIPTV up and running. I discovered you in July of 2007, while recovering from heart surgery. The perfect service to banish the boredom of rehab. You and I have been together ever since, and it's been great. Thank you, thank you, and thank you once again.
  Oh, and please do consider that chop-chop endings issue...        
                                                                                                              thanx & etc.,
                                                                                                               Tim 
                                                                                                                 Rock and Roll Mercenaries

Reply 1#1 mrtimdillenbeck's post

Not having to watch adverts is what I love and I'm guesting the capers are trying to make the video file as small as possible which is unfortunate

Reply 2#2 codebreaker's post

That was quick, codebreaker. Thank you. Absolutely, commercial-free episodes is a godsend, bringing us closer to the artists' intent of flow and pacing. That form of editing is A+, and to be encouraged. But I don't believe for a minute file size economy is the intended goal. Rather, I am convinced it is the programmed timer record function at fault. It feels like "30 minutes" or "60 minutes" time slots timed out right on (preset) cue. Independent cable channels (Encore, HBO, FX, Netflix, etc.) may not be slave to broadcast channel commercial time slot limitations, occasionally exceeding 30 or 60 min lengths. If those who are using 'timer-record' methods could just program in a 'stop' time 2 or 3 minutes longer, it could help. I also recognize the fact that some over-the-air/cable local commercial broadcast stations love to jump in with their own announcements (i.e. News at Eleven adverts) during final credits, To them all I can say is, "Bad dog, Bad dog." But clipping the final seconds of dialog before the 'fade-to-black---that is a preset timer error. No human would consistently chop-chop like that.

Reply 1#1 mrtimdillenbeck's post

Hey Tim, thanks for your feedback and glad you've been enjoying the site since 2007!!

I actually agree with you, sometimes the preview of the next episode is cut off as well. The problem that the administrators of this site have is that they are sourcing the files from contributors and are at the mercy of how they format/package that file. Often, if a show is cut off suddenly on this site, it'll be the same on many other sites streaming content. All we can do is provide the feedback to the admin team.

Re:  "All we can do is provide the feedback to the admin team"

It occurs to me that the good souls submitting content may not themselves be aware of the problem. What I will start doing is making a list of the shows and the episodes where it happens. I'm pretty sure it happens consistently with certain titles, which suggests that each contributor probably covers for the same shows each week. The more I think about it, the surer I am that they have no idea there is a problem. If they are good enough people to put time in on maintaining this site, they would certainly fix the problem if they knew about it. 
  So, I'll start keeping that list and get back to you later.  Cheers....

p.s. Should I address these comments to another moderator rather than bothering you. Do let me know.

Reply 5#5 mrtimdillenbeck's post

Hi Tim, no you can PM them directly to me and I'll share with LBJedward. Thanks, Shinny

Just watched the pilot for "The Grinder" and, damn it, the final sight gag was slashed right before the "punchline". I'm tempted to slum it over to Hulu and perhaps find the truncated material there. So here is my latest updated list of recent shows where the video recordings are all cut off prematurely. Surely this list should narrow down which contributor needs to readjust his/her video clock/timed recording parameters. 

Minority Report Pilot 
American Horror Story 5x08, 09, 10
Haven 5x25 
Marvel Agents of Shield 3x09, 10 
Once Upon a Time 5x10 
Z-Nation 2x14, 15 
Manhattan 2x10 
Capital 1x01 
The Expanse 1x05 
The Grinder Pilot

Thread