Thread
Printable Version

RealPlayer Troubleshooting Guide (Solutions & Tips)

RealPlayer Troubleshooting Guide (Solutions & Tips)

The following are some basic troubleshooting guidelines provided by RealPlayer.
   It only takes a minute to change your life... | PAUSE |   

RealPlayer Connection Troubleshooting

Connection errors that occur on specific sites or that only occur once in a while are not usually a cause for concern. Occasional errors tend to occur when traffic is high on the Internet, the site hosting the files is down, or the site hosting the file has been moved. Connection errors that occur at all sites on a recurring basis indicate a problem with RealPlayer connection configuration or your Internet connection. To allow RealPlayer to connect, you may need to reconfigure RealPlayer or your security software. If you get one of these errors, it may mean that RealPlayer did not receive enough information to maintain a connection to the server, or that RealPlayer stopped receiving information from the server for an extended period and could not maintain the connection. The problem could be caused by excessive network traffic on the Internet, your Internet Service Provider (ISP), or a local area network (LAN) connection.
Solution 1: Determine if the problem is with the specific file.
To rule out a problem with the file itself, try playing sample files: 1. Open http://service.real.com/test/ in your Web browser. 2. Click the links that match your connection speed. Dial-up modem users should choose the 28K or 56K links. If the sample files play, then the problem may be with the specific Web site, or with the file you were trying to play. This may be a temporary problem of high traffic or technical difficulties. Try again later, or contact the Webmaster of the site to alert them to the problem.
Solution 2: Check RealPlayer’s online status setting.
RealPlayer detects online status by default. If this detection fails, RealPlayer may be incorrectly set to Work Offline mode. If you are using a network connection or have a cable modem or DSL connection, you can override this detection and force RealPlayer to assume you are online all the time. To change the online status of RealPlayer: 1. In RealPlayer on the Tools menu, click Preferences. The Preferences box opens. 2. In the Category pane, click Connection. 3. Click the Assume I am online option. 4. Click OK. 5. Restart RealPlayer.
Solution 3: Test your connection speed.
1. In RealPlayer, click the Tools menu, and then select Preferences. The Preferences box opens. 2. In the Category pane, click Connection. 3. Click the Test Connection button, then the Perform Test button to determine your current connection speed. 4. Click the Update button to set your minimum bandwidth preference. 5. Click OK. 6. Try to play the clip again.
Solution 4: Increase the time-out settings, and try playing the clip again.
1. In RealPlayer, click the Tools menu, and then select Preferences. The Preferences box opens. 2. In the Category pane, click Connection. 3. Under Network Time-out, increase the time-out settings by 10 seconds. 4. Click OK. 5. Try to play the clip again. 6. If you still have problems, increase the time-out settings by another 10 seconds and try again. Keep trying until the clip plays or it becomes obvious that increasing the time-out settings will not resolve this problem. Increasing this time also increases the time you wait for a time-out message to appear.
Solution 5: Play the clip when the network and Internet are less busy.
If you are unable to play the clip after trying these suggestions, try connecting to the clip at a different time.
Solution 6: Configure your personal firewall or security software to allow RealPlayer access to the Internet.
Firewalls must be configured to allow realplay.exe to have two-way access to the Internet before audio or video can be played. Consult the manufacturer of your firewall software if you are unsure how to grant this access.
Solution 7: Verify that your corporate firewall or proxy allows RealPlayer access to the Internet.
Corporate local area networks (LANs) or commercial Internet Service Providers (ISPs) often use a firewall or proxy to limit traffic and protect their users' computers from unauthorized access. If these ports are specifically restricted by your firewall, you will need to configure your Connection Preferences to use your firewall’s settings. By default, the RealPlayer uses the following ports to connect: - TCP 80, 554, 4040, 7070, 8080, 443 (SSL for sign-in), 1755 (MMS Windows Media requests) - UDP 6970-32,000, 1755 (MMS Windows Media resend requests) - HTTP 80 (AU, Messaging Service, and HTTP Cloaking) RealPlayer configurations will override these defaults. Contact your network administrator for further assistance.
Solution 8: Contact your ISP or network administrator for assistance.
If you are still unable to connect, the problem may be with your computer network settings. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or network administrator for the information you need to regain connection.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Adapted From: http://service.real.com/realplayer/streamhelp/

"General Error" when playing clips with RealPlayer

Question: Why do I get a "General Error" when playing clips with RealPlayer 10? Answer: You might receive a "General Error" message when using RealPlayer if the file or clip you are playing is unavailable or damaged, or if you have a damaged installation of RealPlayer. To correct this problem, you will need to verify if the error occurs with all clips, check your sound card and sound drivers, and possibly remove and reinstall RealPlayer. Solution 1: Determine if the problem is with the specific file.
To rule out a problem with the file itself, try playing sample files: 1. Open http://service.real.com/test/ in your Web browser. 2. Click the links that match your connection speed. Dial-up modem users should choose the 28K or 56K links. If the sample files play, then the problem may be with the specific file you were trying to play. If this is a local file, try re-downloading a fresh copy of the clip from its source. You will also receive a "General Error" message if the file you are attempting to play is on a network drive that is not connected. If the sample files do not play, the problem is most likely with the sound card and/or sound drivers on your computer or the RealPlayer installation.
Solution 2: Update older sound card drivers.
RealPlayer requires that you have a sound card. If you attempt to play a clip that contains an audio track, and you have no sound card on your system, you will receive a "General Error." If your sound driver is corrupt or out-of-date, you may also receive this error. If the installed driver is more than six months old, you should update it. Driver updates are usually available as a free download from the manufacturer's Web site. These drivers are usually updated every few months. After installing the drivers, be sure to restart your computer so the configuration changes take effect. If updating your sound card drivers does not fix the problem, you may need to completely remove RealPlayer from your system. (You can reinstall it later.)
Solution 3: Remove and reinstall RealPlayer.
If the problem appears to be caused by damaged RealPlayer application files, removing and then reinstalling RealPlayer can resolve these problems.
Solution 4: Check firewalls and port information.
Firewalls can also corrupt the stream, try disabling software firewalls or configure the firewall to work with RealPlayer.

Audio Troubleshooting

If the audio of a video is playing low even though you have the volume on max try this solution: If you are not already doing so launch the video to 'Play in RealPlayer' or 'Play in RealPlayer Theater Mode' by going to RealPlayer Icon on the bottom right hand corner of the web version player. Once Realplayer has launched you can adjust the volume a bit by going to Tools > Equalizer And adjust the features a bit. Play around with it but you might want to set it back to the default option after watching the episode so that it does not affect the sound for other videos you view.

Windows Vista

Some of us may not have updated real player which is now fully compatable The latest release of Realplayer 10.5 is compatible with Vista. The latest release is build 6.0.12.1578. To find out which build of Realplayer you have: 1) Open Realplayer. 2) Open the Help menu, and select About Realplayer. The build number will be written in here. If you have an out-of-date version installed, you can open the Tools menu and select Check For Updates....
Recent Ratings
  • janenjab Points +4 For being helpful! This was a great addi 7-5-2007 14:48

Tips for a quick fix!

If you are too lazy to read all the above posts, then read me! Adjust your RealPlayer preferences to these settings (Refer to attached images!) and you should be able to get through most time out/ connection errors... if you still encounter any errors, DO scroll up and read all the above posts! Be modest when gaging your internet connection speed! By modest, I mean really modest! (Even though I have a 12Mbps connection, I "set" my normal bandwidth at 28.8kbps. Refer to attached images!) Remember to restart your RealPlayer after you changed your settings!
Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments

maybe i can help!!

Um.. i have this real alternative called the media player classic which also runs files of real player. that might help u. coz even my real player troubleshoots and it sometimes says to download software and when i cick to download, it says sorry no download. i hope this helps.
Recent Ratings
  • dognxtdoor Points +2 For helping other users 7-14-2007 13:25

I have not tested this myself, as here on the site we only support issues with the two pieces of software that we recommend you use for our site. Which would be a FireFox browser, and RealPlayer as your media player. However, cutemask has stated that it is possible so I thought I would include a link to download it if your having problems and would like to try this as a solution. http://www.download.com/Media-Pl ... 77.html?tag=lst-0-2 (Again we do not support the use of this software, but it does not mean it would not work)
A Fine Member of the Mod  Squad!

FRUSTRATION

If you review my last 3 or four posts, the same problems continue, no matter what time of day, no matter how few open programs I'm running at the time (usually just FireFox), no matter which server, no matter how fast my connection. I am able, with Dan's post #15, to lesson the frustration somewhat, but I can't just hit 'stop' and have it buffer back up. I have to note the time where it stopped, quit RealPlayer altogether, re-select the episode, hit pause as it buffers back up, slide the time marker to where I left off, wait until it shows 'paused' (after buffering), and then hit 'play'. Assuming it has buffered back up at all, which often it doesn't without freezing at some percentage point, assuming everything works , then I might be good for anything from 4 minutes up to 15 minutes. Then I must repeat everything. Perhaps 1 out of every 15 attempts to watch ANY video from start to finish will be successfull. Quite frankly, I am growing quite tired of the frustration and inconvenience, and I know I'm not the only one. I've done everything at my end, but the thrill is wearing thin. Are you outgrowing your servers at a stready pace, just ahead of the ability to fulfill your customer's expectations? Am I missing something? Or does FireFox or RealPlayer suck in ways we don't yet know? Please, I am just about ready to give up entirely on TV-Video.net. Reassure me somehow.
Recent Ratings
  • waterlilybarb Treasure +20 Replacement G. Had to clean up some old 2-12-2008 16:10

Yes, I have tried refreshing the page and restarting the browser. No, I don't believe I've rebooted. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium on a fairly new HP Pavillion dv6275us laptop with a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 Ghz processor, 2G memory, Nvidia 7400 GeForce Go 7400 w/128MB DDR dedicated memory and 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN. I am usually using a Sprint/Novatel U720 wireless broadband card in my USB port. Obviously, my carrier is Sprint. Usually, I range between 200-800kpbs connection speed, although I experience the same problems when using the public library wi-fi service. I don't know who their carrier is. I have set my RealPlayer minimum speed spec to 28kb, as you have suggested. I am using RealPlayer v10.5, and have implemented all the adjustment settings per the various posts on this thread. When I can, I will try using a different computer to access the site. Might you have any idea how and what to look for regarding a "rogue system file" preventing streaming? I have also tried reducing open programs on my computer to just the Firefox browser. Yes I am using the current version of FireFox. I should also add that occasionally I can watch a full 45-minute episode with no problems. The secondary background buffering indicator bar stays ahead of, or moves steadily faster than the clip position indicator. This is how I like it, for usually that means everything's ok. I know if the 'clip-position' ball overtakes the buffer bar, everything stops. But one disconcerting quirk is this: not always do I get a form of RealPlayer which has a buffering indicator visible. When I select an episode, I first will get a black RealPlayer screen divided into two horizontal sections; a wide one at the top, and a narrow one along the bottom. Both have that little frame of film logo, and I can click either to get the little clock-thingy by the frame-logo to appear and start counting down. At this point I may or may not see the "Play in RealPlayer" logo in the lower right part of the opening skin. When I do see it, and click it, a second black screen with both the clip position AND buffering indicators appears. When the logo is not there, I will first get the small RealPlayer gadget, and then the second black screen appears, but without the buffering indicator. Usually I close the first, now lifeless black screen as soon as the second screen pops up, Also, when that second screen has been initiated by clicking the RP logo on the first screen (and thus includes the 'buffer-bar'), I can move my cursor to the upper-left portion of the screen and a 1X and 2X screen size choice appears. With the 'other', buffer-barless, screen, you have to click the 'maximize' icon in the upper-right corner of the screen, to enlarge the image, the 1X and 2X choices are not there. Oh, and one other thing: sometimes when I hit pause, the buffering bar continues moving to the right. I wait till there's a few minutes racked up on it and then hit play.The buffering indicator will have its own time readout below it. But on other occasions, I hit pause and the buffering does not continue moving. Weird, huh? I know this is a lot of detail to lay out to you, but perhaps something I've described will provide a clue of some sort. I somehow think you appreciate detail; the more clues the better. And don't fear, I really do like your service and will continue with you for a long time. -Tim

Reply #20 mrtimdillenbeck's post

Okay, this I know for sure, that some people are having a lot trouble playing shows, that have Windows Vista. I don't know how to fix this, but there is a solution, I'll find out. or send someone who knows. Have you tried letting it start playing and then pausing it and letting it load till its almost halfway loaded. Some people have to do this, becasue of there location, internet speed etc. However, it does sound like that it is related to your computer, because you are having problems at the local library too. It could be your location, but I'm guessing it's either Vista or a firewall.

VIDEO DISPLAY TROUBLESHOOTING

I tried to play a video, but Windows displayed Invalid Page Faults, or RealPlayer crashed or showed distorted video such as: an empty magenta or black square; a snowy, static-filled picture that moves; a video with a green tint that is distorted; video with stripes in all or part of the screen; or video that is stretched vertically or horizontally in one direction, making the picture look long and flat, or tall and thin. Why is this, and what can I do?

These problems occur when your computer is using a video card that does not understand the instructions that RealPlayer is giving to it. You may be able to resolve this problem with one of the following solutions. (You don't have to do all of these: if the first one doesn't work, try the next, and so on):

- setting your video display to 16-bit color;
- updating your video card drivers;
- installing the latest version of DirectX;
- lowering the hardware acceleration of your card;
- disabling optimized video in RealPlayer;
- using DivX or XviD codecs.

Solution 1: Set your video display to 16-bit color.

RealPlayer requires 16-bit (65,000-color) color depth. If the video card is not capable of this, you will receive an error message when you start RealPlayer that requests that you increase the video resolution.

To check your color settings:

1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Windows XP: Start > Control Panel).
2. Double-click the Display icon.
3. Click the Settings tab.
4. Select 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit from the colors list.
5. Click OK.
6. Restart your computer if prompted.

Solution 2: Update your video card drivers.

Video cards use driver software to send information from the computer to the video card. Drivers that are out-of-date, damaged, or not DirectX-compatible can cause video problems. Update your video card drivers, and visit the video card manufacturer's Web site to verify that you are using the latest DirectX-certified drivers.

Solution 3: Install the latest version of DirectX.

DirectX is another set of drivers that to send information from the computer to your video card. RealPlayer uses the DirectDraw features of DirectX to optimize the video presentation. DirectX is a component of the Windows Operating System. If the DirectX components are out-of-date or damaged, RealPlayer may crash or display the video incorrectly. Install the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

Solution 4: Lower the hardware acceleration.

Choose the appropriate procedure for your operating system:

Windows XP:
1. Right-click a blank area on the computer desktop.
2. Select Properties, then the Settings tab.
3. Click the Advanced button, then the Troubleshoot tab.
4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None or one notch away.
5. Click OK twice.
6. Restart your computer.

Windows 98SE, ME, 2000:
1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click the System icon.
3. On the Performance tab, click the Graphics button.
4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the Basic or None level.
5. Click OK.

If the problem no longer occurs after changing this setting, leave your system on this setting. If it does not resolve the problem, set it back to where it was. The Basic or None setting is more compatible than Full in most cases, but setting it at Basic or None disables some advanced features of the video card.

Solution 5: Disable optimized video.

If you have tried the solutions above and are still having problems playing video, they may be caused by a video card that uses WinDraw drivers instead of DirectDraw drivers. Disabling optimized video in RealPlayer will improve compatibility for video cards that are not DirectDraw compatible.

To disable optimized video in RealPlayer:

1. On the Tools menu, click Preferences. The Preferences box opens.
2. In the Category pane, click Hardware.
3. In the Video Card Compatibility section, drag the slider to Most reliable.
4. Click OK.
5. Close RealPlayer and restart the computer.

[ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 5-6-2009 17:16 ]

Recently everytime I try to play a video after a few minutes it says my session has timed out. I just was wondering some options. I already tested and updated my connection. Under that is say Connection:_____ Sec Server:_____Sec. Anyone know what the best time would be in my situation or any other useful tips? thanks

Ryan

Answer by waterlilybarb: put them both to 300. [ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 2-12-2008 19:15 ]

Regarding Users with Vista having issues with realplayer.

I personally have windows vista home premium, I use realplayer V11 and firefoxV2. When I first had them both installed the shows I tried to watch made firefox crash and ultimately also realplayer. I will tell you I was not a happy bunny, but i have found something out that no one on this site have mentioned yet, and that is the fact that with vista, whatever doesnt work properly, uninstall and reinstall making sure you are instaling it as administrators. i do not know why that should make any difference, but it has for me on many many things. And realplayer 11 is great, never have any problems...well not any that arent caused by the server being full anyways. Well I thiught I should add this here anyway. If you have problems when you are on vista just try reinstalling it as adminstrator. Cheers!! Hope someone gets some use out of my tip.
Recent Ratings
  • Milks26 Points +2 Thanks for providing info that can be us 1-13-2008 15:09

I still can't get it to work! UGH!~

Reply 15#15 dannixx's post

Hi Solution 3: Install the latest version of DirectX. DirectX is another set of drivers that to send information from the computer to your video card. RealPlayer uses the DirectDraw features of DirectX to optimize the video presentation. DirectX is a component of the Windows Operating System. If the DirectX components are out-of-date or damaged, RealPlayer may crash or display the video incorrectly. Install the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/directx Is this the program that you have/had on your pc?

wow! good job jane.... very helpful!!! Cheers!!!

If you are having loading issues, or if your show is stopping part way through and just says "loading (%)", but doesn't load beyond that %. Try changing your connection speeds, you may need to change both "Normal" and "Maximum" speeds.

Go to Tools> Preferences> Connection > Click Test Connection, then lower your normal and maximum speeds by......

Click "Normal" drop down menu & set value at one-or more levels below the speed of your modem (change one-two levels at a time).
Click "Maximum" drop down menu & set the value at either equal to or one-or more levels below your modem speed (change one-two levels at a time).

Always keep you "Maximum" speed at least one level above your "Normal" speed.

Example: If your modem speed value is- Office LAN (10mbps & above). Change values as below....

Normal: DSL/Cable (512 Kbps)

Maximum: DSL/Cable (768 Kbps)

Change to lower speeds if necessary.

As in image below......

This is an image from a Mac computer where is says "Connection Speed", it will say "Normal" on a pc.

After making any changes, close and re-open Real Player for them to take effect!

[ Last edited by gypsiegirl66 at 2-17-2010 20:02 ]

Thread